Inserting a 45mm nut in a 43mm neck RG2550ex? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Inserting a 45mm nut in a 43mm neck RG2550ex?

I have big, stupid hands and arthritis and I play Rhythm most of the time so I spend most of my playing time at the lower end of the neck so I'm looking for wider string spacing, if possible. I have an Agile Les Paul copy that has a neck that is 45mm at the nut and the extra string spacing is quite comfortable (the fact that it weighs as much as 3 RG's is something of a drag).

I don't think Ibanez has ever made a 44.45mm nut for 6 strings, so I suppose I'd be looking at another brand (My guitar is a '04 Vibrant blue Prestige RG2550ex, and the nut doesn't screw through the neck, nor do I have any interest in changing that), usually an R5. Schaller? Floyd rose, Gotoh? K-k-k-Kahler?

Would this be feasible at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Re: Inserting a 45mm nut in a 43mm neck RG2550ex?

You probably could do it,the nut would over hang the edge of the neck slightly....only you could decide if you can live with it.

Ibanez did have 45mm nuts on one model,the 540p models,available in 22 and 24 fret versions. 22 fret neck is standard square heel and will fit other square heel models including 24 fret square heels,you just will have 2 frets missing. The 24 fret version though is an exclusive heel fit so without wood work it will not fit anything but a 540PII body. Rare as though.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=163&now=8
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1bbb8d4d74.jpg
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
You probably could do it,the nut would over hang the edge of the neck slightly....only you could decide if you can live with it.

Ibanez did have 45mm nuts on one model,the 540p models,available in 22 and 24 fret versions. 22 fret neck is standard square heel and will fit other square heel models including 24 fret square heels,you just will have 2 frets missing. The 24 fret version though is an exclusive heel fit so without wood work it will not fit anything but a 540PII body. Rare as though.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=163&now=8
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...1bbb8d4d74.jpg
Yeah, I know. Those guitars were the first thing that came up after I searched 45mm locking nuts. I'd be better off to get one of those or hope that Ibanez reissues them without the sharkfin inlays (one of the reasons I just can't play Jacksons).

Any brands that don't do the through-the-neck thing that would fit?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:38 AM

I know certain ESP models have 45mm nuts,like the George Lynch Kamikaze.....perhaps look round those sites.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 08:32 AM

Lynch guitars actually have a 43mm nut but a 45mm neck. Basically there's a bunch of extra fretboard outside the first and sixth strings.

I don't think that this would work well on a standard Ibanez neck. The 43mm necks would be too narrow and the strings would be too close to the edges of the fretboard.

Other than a 540P, I think you may be more happy with another guitar. You could do a custom build with Warmoth and get any neck you want. I just got one of their showcasebodies and it's really high quality. I saw they have some neon yellow Soloist bodies on there if you want to get that neon vibe going.

Tags
will this fit there?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode