install Stud inserts for edge trem - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

install Stud inserts for edge trem

how do i install stud inserts on a new unfinished rg 570 body for an edge? Do you use glue?
Also should i make holes for the strap and pickups pre-post laquering? does it make a difference?

/thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Re: install Stud inserts for edge trem

Stud inserts should be press fit. I would definitely drill the holes before you paint the guitar, and then I would CAREFULLY re-drill the hole after finishing just to clear paint out of the hole. This will help the paint from cracking around the hole when you drive the screw in.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 PM

Inserts go in BEFORE paint, not after.

The hole should be 7/16" if I remember correctly, and you don't want it so tight it cracks the body when you drive them in. I personally like them to be just snug with a touch of yellow wood glue.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Stud inserts should be press fit.
Yes. All these people on the Bay stripping bodies and selling them without inserts have ruined the bodies. I once asked one of the big sellers(the guy with the overpriced shipping) how he got the inserts out. He said he screwed the studs down into the inserts and then yanked as hard as he could back in forth with the claw end of a hammer. You end up with wallered out holes, split wood, etc. You will never get those studs to stay in the holes again correctly. They will move around and lift.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 11:44 AM

Reviews: 21

sigh, I'm in the same position
I've got a painted 750 RG body with no stud inserts
I've bought a new lo-pro edge and I need to get the stud inserts in... they are far too wide to fit.
For a brief moment I considered hammering them in then realised how damn stupid that would be. So they're seriously meant to be a hand push fit?
In that case I have no idea what I'm going to do, drill the holes out wider I'd imagine.
I'm a bit pissed off if I'm honest.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 04:10 PM

What I have done,and I don't claim to be a expert is get a screw that fits the insert thread, put it in the insert and use a drill press to press the insert in. A towel on the drill press table works for a pad. Of course the hole in the body needs to be just the right size.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

I'm gonna buy some drill bits and scoop out the extra layers of paint that have gone down the holes. I'll try with a hand press/twist at first and if that doesnt work i'll drill the buggers out.

It's a clear 1mm misfit, which I appreciate sounds like nothing at all but there is no damn way I'm going to be able to force the pegs into a hole with that lack of clearance. It'll only compact the paint down further into the hole and potentially put a lot of strain onto the body. I don't want to crack it when I could just drill it out
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM

press fit does NOT mean that you dont have to use a little whack with a hammer to make it seat in place....

we press fit femoral stems in bone and we have to whack the **** out of it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 08:01 AM

Ah ok, good. I did mine yesterday.
I drilled out to 11mm which is very nearly 7/16 imperial.
I had to use a hammer to get the stud bolts in but they went in fine with a few smacks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 12

the perfect drill for that is a Milwaukie 27/64 th it is a we over 10.7 mm and I believe the anchors ar about 11mm. I used that bit when I went from single locking POS trem and upgraded to a edge with locking posts and anchors
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:00 PM

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the info, building a Jem and this answer was the 1st to pop up!!!

Tags
stud insert inserts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in