Installing a new Floyd - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Installing a new Floyd

Just got a new Floyd for my RG470.

I am considering using the new Floyd nut...though there is nothing wrong with the stock one. I think that the Floyd may be of higher quality, and perhaps provide better tone?

Two questions.
1. Is it best to repace all of the parts with the Floyd stuff? Everything seems to be in good shape.

2. If I use the new nut, how can I determine the proper height? The current one seems fine, but I do not mind fine-tuning everything, since I have it apart.

Thanks,
Bob

Ps I had stripped one of the saddles on the stock Lo-TRS. Turns out it is the Takeuchi tremolo, which is supposed to be of decent quality. It has a rather solid feel and stayed in tune well....but I couldn't seem to find a replacement daddle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:27 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Installing a new Floyd

To change the trem posts you'll have a bit of work ahead of you, you're probably best using the ones already on the guitar.

Is the nut a rear mounting 43mm R3 nut? If it's a genuine Floyd nut it will probably be better than the stock one. You'll just have to try fitting it. I've got a feeling the Floyd nut may be a R2 42mm nut though unless you were able to order your one specifically.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I am considering changing the posts, because the Floyd Rose posts are larger, and the screws are less wobbly.

I am going to purchase a drill guide so I can pilot the holes properly.
I believe the holes should be drilled to 10mm, which is 0.393". A 3/8 bit should get me very close at 0.375". I will measure the new studs with a caliper to be sure.

As far as the stock nut, I am unsure as to the designation, since there are no markings on it. It does have a very thin shim placed.

The new Floyd nut is a rear-mount, with "R3 Made in Germany" stamped on the back. It appears thicker/taller than the stocker--it will likely not require the shim..

Thanks for the info...and all comments appreciated!

Bob
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 11:06 PM

There was a thread here which a guy, using the claws on the opposite side of a hammer, pulled out the trs posts, then hammered in the OFR's posts. He had pics and details of it...

I can't remember exactly what guitar but it was a black S series.

Maybe finding that thread will help?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:10 AM

R3 nuts are 1 11/16 nuts. Very similar to 43 mm. R1 and R2 nuts are 1 5/8 nnuts with the R1 being a little narrower but both having the same string spread. R3 and R4 are the same with the R3 being narrower but having the same string spread. L instead of R is for a left handed guitar. Joshua
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
There was a thread here which a guy, using the claws on the opposite side of a hammer, pulled out the trs posts, then hammered in the OFR's posts. He had pics and details of it...

I can't remember exactly what guitar but it was a black S series.

Maybe finding that thread will help?
Interesting. I would also like to see this one since I just replaced my old licensed floyd with new Gotoh Floyd Rose and I had this same situation to face but I decided to use old posts. It works nicely now but maybe it would be even better with new posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick follow-up.

I purchased a drill press from Harbour Freight. It is a 1/3 hp model, with some pretty decent features. They are on sale until 2/13 for $40. That is 56% off the sticker price.
It works quite well, and is remarkably quiet.

I drilled 3/8" holes for the new studs (I was barely able to align one of the holes with the bit because the drill stand was in the way of the guitar body--a definite limitation of a drill press.), and pounded them in. The fit was slightly tight, but went well. The new studs are quite a bit more stable than the old ones.

The new nut was used, and seems fine...except, it seems to be a bit higher than the stocker. I may have to place the stock nut back in...but, i prefer the more solid feel of the new one. I am not inclined to file down the nut-slot!
Also: the new nut is slightly off-center (or the neck holes are slightly off).

I used the old trem to rough out intonation on the Floyd...and, my initial checks show intonation to be dead on!!! Am I lucky or what?

I like the feel of the Floyd, though I only had time for a short test-run, and it still needs some fine-tuning (tremolo balance and action...possibly the nut height). The feel is quite smooth.

I may be mistaken, but I think there is a tonal difference. The guitar now seems a bit more "present", and perhaps a little "bigger"? Hard to describe really...it seems a little more resonant. I actually feel more vibration coming through the body.
This is interesting because the Takeuchi has quite a bit of mass. The block is larger than the Floyd, but I didn't weigh them. The difference could be due to a difference in metal density, as well as stud and nut integrity.

Question: what should I lube the various adjustment screws with? I lubed the bridge stud-screws with Shimano Spin Doctor bearing grease (very thin and slippery grease). I want to take care of the tremolo, since I invested >$200 on it!

Bob

Tags
floyd rose , gotoh floyd rose , guitar body , left handed guitar , nut height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode