intonation problems; floyd rose special - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
intonation problems; floyd rose special

ok so i was helpin my friend with his trem and when i was doin the intonation i noticed that the high E was WAY off i mean, the open was E and the 24th was Eb, it was that bad. so i move the saddle as far forward as the screw will alow, still way flat so i put the screw in the front hole instead of the back and set the saddle all the way forward again and its still pretty flat. noticeable to the ear as well, not just the tuner. what do i do? it wont go any farther forward and going back just makes it worse (obviously, bringing it back flattens, which is the opposite of what i want).

he has a stock black ESP LTD ALEXI-200 with a floyd rose special

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/si...alexi-200.html

are there known problems with this thing? i googled and got nothing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Reviews: 15
Re: intonation problems; floyd rose special

Is there another screw hole closer to the neck on the bridge?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM

For starters, quit using the 24the fret to set intonation. Proper techniques yield better results.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 AM
tyg

use the 12th fret to set intonation. I had a telecaster with the same problem, although the neck looked straight, it needed a minor adjustment.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM

I have a similar problem, the intonation on my Floyd Rose is WAAAAAY off (however mostly on the 1st and 2nd string). It's so off, I actually have the octave on the 11th Fret o.O
I've tried moving the saddle to the very front, and to the very back, but it doesn't help....

Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread, but we kinda have the same question anyway, and I mostly posted to get mailed when someone answers ^.^ (new to this forums, I suppose you DO get mailed?)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

yea, i know how to set up a floyd, thanks. i have 1 strat trem, 1 edge pro, 1 edge pro 7 and one original edge as well as at least 10 others that my friends come to me with for maintaining, i think i know what im doing (ive never even owned a fixed bridge)

Last edited by D.M.RG7620; 03-28-2011 at 11:08 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
For starters, quit using the 24the fret to set intonation. Proper techniques yield better results.
its the best one ive got. i dont have one of those special tuners for it and i dont have money to get one. if you have any other options, please let me know, id be glad to try them (when i get the chance, as i said, its not my guitar)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargas View Post
I have a similar problem, the intonation on my Floyd Rose is WAAAAAY off (however mostly on the 1st and 2nd string). It's so off, I actually have the octave on the 11th Fret o.O
I've tried moving the saddle to the very front, and to the very back, but it doesn't help....

Sorry for semi-hijacking the thread, but we kinda have the same question anyway, and I mostly posted to get mailed when someone answers ^.^ (new to this forums, I suppose you DO get mailed?)
well that flat means you move it forward. and if its all the way forward (meaning the screw that holds the saddle in place is also in the forward position) then were having the same issue and i obviously cant help because im stuck in the same boat
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Reviews: 2

how far is it out of tune when it's all the way forward?? could be a bad saddle, have you compared it to the others?? is the stud nice and solid on the treble side??
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM

also, (obvious) are the strings new? what type/gauge? what's the condition of the nut? is the relief good?? truss rod nut tight??
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

strings are VERY old, earnie ball super slinkys, still pretty flat when all the way forward, and didnt check the stud but to be honest, if it werent stable, it would move the trem forward, which would help the situation. and there wasnt enough time to check the tuss rod but it cant be that bad as there was a slight bow in the neck and the action could get very low without problem
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 AM

check the stud anyway....... if the mount is loose, as you tighten the intonation, the stud will move- making any adjustment you just did null..........

You NEED new strings to intonate...... it's part of the job.

as far as the Truss nut, just make sure it has contact so as not to be moving around.

are the nut and and neck bolts tight??
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

yes, theyre tight. i wont be able to check the rest until hopefully tomorrow but it might be longer. this dude is guitarded so i cant ask him these questions over the phone otherwise i would
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 AM

cool...... you'll find the problem, and I'll let you work on my guitars anytime.... FREE TECH!!! WOOHOO!!!!!

Tags
200 , alexi , esp ltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode