Iron Label vs. Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MatiasTolkki

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Iron Label vs. Prestige

Hi, I'm new here. That's because I want to buy my first Ibanez.

I'm am choosing between RG652 (prestige) and RGAIX6U (the one with bare knuckle aftermaths). They are both the same price, but if I go with prestige, I'll replace bridge pup with aftermath anyways (extra cost). They are both 1200EUR here in Europe.

I wanna know, is prestige really worth it over iron label? Fret job, QC, fret material, wood etc.

Prestige also comes with a case, so that compensates for having to buy a new pickup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Re: Iron Label vs. Prestige

Dont waste money on the BNPs, get the prestige and be happy with an MIJ. the Indos are still hit and miss and will require some extra TLC once it arrives. the Prestige will generally be fine out of box.
Inzane likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I put aftermath in pretty much everything, the perfect pickup for me. Luckily, I don't really care for the neck pickup .

I'm really interested in prestige now. How is the fretwire on them (hardness)? How stable is the neck (11-56 strings for drop C/B)?

What about premiums? Indos with better QC?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Well, I am not totally anti-Indo. I've just seen a lot of reports of bad fret ends and such on the indos, tool marks and things as well. I mean I had an RG350EXZ (Standard RG Indo) and it played just fine and I find myself sometimes missing it (mostly because of the slightly thicker neck profile). I've played first generation Iron labels and I wasn't entirely convinced of the necessity for them.

I wouldn't say premiums or Iron labels are necessarily that different in QC as they come out of the exact same factory in Indonesia. Hit and miss, although Rich and others have said things have gotten better the past year or two. I've heard of prestiges and even high end stuff having problems as well, but the MIJ stuff is typically safer in QC overall. I would say though that if you get a good Indo, keep it and play the heck out of it. Make sure that you go into a store and REALLY play the heck out of both the prestige AND the Indo and decide for yourself which is the better way to go. I grew up believing MIJ is top notch quality so I typically choose MIJ over anything (even made in USA, proven by the fact I have 6 MIJ guitars and 2 MIUSA). That's just me though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 PM

I'm not really into Iron Label. I feel like it's sort of a marketing schtick. "Metal" styles for "metal" music.

I play metal. I also play other genres. So a one-trick pony, or even a guitar that just looks like one, is really not my jam. I also tried a few out in person and felt the finish and feel were leaving something to be desired.

Tags
bare knuckle dimarzio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode