It's getting hard to find Prestige guitars... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
It's getting hard to find Prestige guitars...

Having a bit of time to kill yesterday, I dropped by ye olde Guitar Center. It's been quite a while since I had the need to visit one since I have too many guitars already and quite like the ones I've got. But anyway, I thought I'd take a look at the Ibanez models, particularly the new Jem and the Prestige models.

Unfortunately, there was very little to look at: they had the newest round of reissues which, to be honest, didn't look good in person. The pickups are poorly matched to the paint and the quality seemed closer to the old Korean RG450s than the MIJ 5xx models they are supposed to be copying.

Otherwise, they had only one other high end Ibanez--a b-stock RG770DX reissue.

That's it. No signature models, no prestige models.

I understand that GC is a business and the high end models probably sell very slowly if at all. I'm not writing to whine about GC. I'm wondering how you guys decide if you want a guitar absent the chance to actually play them in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Re: It's getting hard to find Prestige guitars...

I don't know that I have really ever known GC to stock Prestige models in the stores. We have 4 stores here, and I don't know that I've ever seen a Prestige model NEW on the wall...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 AM

I believe Guitar Center has a 100% satisfaction guarantee, even on used guitars, if you order one online and don't like, I believe they might even pay return shipping. I suppose you could do that to test some out. I live in Montana, we have no large music stores anywhere around and finding one with a decent Ibanez stock is impossible, people around here seem to only believe in Gibsons and Fenders.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolson View Post
I don't know that I have really ever known GC to stock Prestige models in the stores. We have 4 stores here, and I don't know that I've ever seen a Prestige model NEW on the wall...
I stopped by the Spokane GC on my way through once, they had a Jem 7VWH "brand new", serial number was F09.... it was just a few months ago, so it'd been sitting there for at least 3 years.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Yeah, I do see one of those along with a Satch model from time to time, but that's about it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 AM

The GC here in town usually has had a few Prestiges. So does the Sam Ash. None of them were every really new, always a few years old. I see lots of Premiums these days.

Maybe someone can answer this. When did Japanese-made Ibanez guitars get the image change from cheap to special? Did Japan have a really big shift in quality of life and cost of living in the 2000s that I'm not aware of? Did the capacity to produce them in Japan go away? Was it purely a way to reduce margins/increase profits?

At one point, when you bought an Ibanez, it was made in Japan. No one thought that was special. Then overnight, that was something special and the Korean/Indonesian/Chinese stuff was marketed as the stand-in for what used to be made in Japan.

To use Gibson as a comparison, if they had done what Hoshino did, They would have went from American Made guitars, then created the Custom Shop Reissues (Prestige), then changed it so the regular American made stuff was now labled Prestige (with the same Prestige Price), the regular stuff is now foreign-made (like Epiphone) with the Gibson name still on the headstock and then made an new grade above Prestige (J-Custom) to charge an even bigger premium, all the while whistling with their hands in their pockets pretending it's all still "Gibson".

Last edited by RedTiger; 06-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

The inventory varies by store. The GC by me has a fairly nice collection of Ibanez stuff and has always had a good selection of Prestiges and usually a white Jem. Yesterday I was passing through Delaware and stopped in a GC there. Not a single Presige there and overall, almost to Ibanez at all.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Reviews: 21

Sometimes they're hit or miss here. I don't know if my area/market has ever been Ibanez-friendly since the early 90's. A new GC opened up the street from my house and they only had about 4-6 Ibanez's in total; no Prestiges. The Sam Ash up the way sometimes has them but they too mostly stock up on Indo's.
In terms of quality (RedTiger's post) I think the Prestige crested in about 2003-2005. I'm surprised at some of the newer Prestiges I've played of late. Honestly, my pre-prestige MIJ '01 RG570 is much better than some of the stuff coming out of Fujigen these days.
I think when I come back into the market to buy a guitar I may go used exclusively. MIJ is too wicked expensive these days for quality that, frankly, isn't what it used to be.
To be fair, when the quality IS there I'd put an MIJ Ibanez up against anything.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM

Hi, i dont know locally, but online (i know you cant play the guitar) they have decent stock of high end ibbys, my brother is living in Boston for a while now (im from Argentina) and last december i bought a Jem BRM for $1200 + taxes, they told me it was 9/10, when the guitar arrived my brother send me some pics, and the back had 5 or 6 big scratches, and the top was scuffed all over. They refund me the shipping, i ended up buying a Jem 7vwh (same price) almost mint, they didnt charge the shipping and they offered me a proffesional setup for free.
In a few days im going to catch a plane and visit him, been checking for some nice S Series MIJ in the used section, they always have plenty of JS1000 and some JS1200, last week i saw a 1200 for $900 it looked very good, didnt pull the trigger, but well they go fast some times.-
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM

I wonder how much of the Amazon Factor brick and mortar music stores encounter; where people only go there to try out stuff and then buy it online for less.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Reviews: 3

I'm up and about after my surgery, and was bored so I went to guitar center today. Crazy this came up in a thread, because I was thinking the same thing! They had a brand new Jem7vw, with an edge pro on it. Looked at number, 2009. They had a used 2000 JS1000, but in great shape, and dirt cheap. REALLY dirty though. The one I actually felt the best deal on was one of those new flamed red Premiums. Looked SWEET in person, and was actually pretty well setup, and played great. Didn't plug it in though. No straight prestiges though. Just walls and walls $3000+ Les Pauls and PRS, and walls of $200-$400 Koreans.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:34 PM

Reviews: 3

One thing they had that I didn't expect was an old, "vintage" EH Memory Man. Beat up, but they DO sound better than the new ones. At least to my ears. I was surprised to find such an old, beat up, and killer sounding pedal in a guitar center
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:36 PM

Reviews: 15

The two GC's I frequent have only had used Prestiges, nothing new. At one they've had a used jem7vw that's been chillin' for the last 4-5 months despite the $1499 price tag along with a brand new one further down the wall. For the most part they have the Gibson/PRS wall, a Fender wall, and then a random wall (Ibby, BC Rich, Schecter, etc.) However I did run across a new Prestige (not sure which model) at a mom/pop store. :/
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermonkey7 View Post
One thing they had that I didn't expect was an old, "vintage" EH Memory Man. Beat up, but they DO sound better than the new ones. At least to my ears. I was surprised to find such an old, beat up, and killer sounding pedal in a guitar center
Jemsite needs a "Like" button.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Jemsite needs a "Like" button.
Agreed... errr... I mean
"Like"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode