I've finally got the RG2820...however, one problem..advice? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

I've finally got the RG2820...however, one problem..advice?

Hey guys,

I've finally decided to got the RG2820 in Twilight Blue finish...I must say its looks much better 'in person' than what we see on pictures....I also decided to go for white pickups and so I installed Air Norton and Steve Specials in them last night...the tone is simply amazing..I thought the SS would be too scooped but through my DR, it's just right..with the right amount of power and definition...

However, I've got one problem...I'm not sure what's the cause of it...but whenever I switch to the Neck pickup alone, there's a hum in the background...it doesn't happen in other positions..not even in the bridge..
I tried checking all the wiring and soldering...there were no loose solders etc..what could be the problem?
But the humming stopped after I turned the guitar away frm the amp..meaning my back faces the amp...is there some problem with my soldering or wiring? or is it a ground loop problem etc? This problem is inherent only in this guitar cos I've tried others it was alright..no humming whatsoever..by the way, I followed the Ibanez JPM diagram. Should I follow the diagram provided on the dimarzio website instead? The one with H-H 3 way multipole switch combi

Any advice guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 08:49 AM

cograts on the 2820!, got one of those also, and its a great guitar

Im using the stock pups (cosidering replacing those), but i also have hum in the neck and bridge position. you are just picking up signal from your amp. if its very loud perhaps its somthing wrong with the wires, but if its pretty low in the backround it should be ok.

on the other hand, dont know why you get it only in the neck pup tho, mine's got a little hum in both positions., you should post your problem in the pickups section of the forum i guess.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Hmm..its got a slight hum only in the neck pickup..not loud at all..I'm just wondering what could be the problem...I just tried re-wiring the pickups to the diagram found on dimarzio.com. However, I think that diagram is not accurate as well..the middle switch switches on both humbuckers when it should just be the inner coils..and it didnt solve the humming problem too...so I changed it back to the Ibanez JPM wiring...weird man..
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 11:12 PM

it is possible that your neck pup is hot enough to generate more noise than the other pup. ALl my guitars hum when I face my amp. When I turn away, it stops. So chances are, you don't have any problem but are jsut hearing an output difference to the effect that your neck pup picks up more noise.

If it were a wiring problem or grounding prob, oyu would get constant hum.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Hmm..so you're saying its just inherent in most Air Nortons? Or is it my luck that I got that particular piece which is more sensitive?

But I reckon, I'd quiet it out with a little noise gate or just leave it as it is then..since its not a major problem anyway..Thanks for your insights man
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:11 AM

Hmm, I was fiddling around with my distortion patches the other day and I noticed my stock bridge pickup generating much more hum than the neck. Any ideas ?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:25 AM

That's interesting...the AN on my JPM90th seems to have a bit of the 60 cycle hum of a single coil. When I tap on the coils, it doesn't seem like it's operating in full humbucking, and doesn't quite sound like it...similar issue? Still need to get around to checking the wiring.
Greg
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 10:23 AM

Will using shielding tape/paint help reduce 60-cycle hum?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelm
That's interesting...the AN on my JPM90th seems to have a bit of the 60 cycle hum of a single coil. When I tap on the coils, it doesn't seem like it's operating in full humbucking, and doesn't quite sound like it...similar issue? Still need to get around to checking the wiring.
Greg
Dude..I think we have the same problem...could it be the darn AN? or just the particular JPM wiring man..
On another note, do you feel that the AN is kinda low output? Hmm..think I should take it out and replace it with a PAF pro or Breed or something..and see if the humming stops too..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:23 AM

I have had this problem with my JPM, it disappeared at some point but comes back now and then. I'm pretty sure it is the AN, but for me that's no reason to swap. I put an AN in both my RG2820 and RG2027x and I can't say I'm disappointed
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 01:40 PM

How far are you from the amp?

Some noise is normal, if it's acting like a sigle coil (lots of hum) then it's a problem, but if it's just low background hum that totally goes away as you turn, or get farther from the amp, it's pretty normal.

Nothing is perfect, some humbuckers will hum, others won't at all, simple as that.

Check for other sources as well, TV, computer monitor, computer, stereo system . . . even the best humbucking pickups will pick up some noise.

I have Evo's in both of my RG's, the bridge Evo in my 520 hums a bit when I'm close to the amp, the one in my 550 is dead silent, but they ALL hum when I'm close to my computer monitor (time for an LCD anyway ) as long as it's not so loud as to drown out your string sound, just try to ignore it.

Mic
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

I just realised, my room is a potential hazard for hum and noise heh...I'm sitted just 1M from my cabinet..and there are just too many things ard it..the TV is next to the amp, the computer is next to the TV haha...I've got a small room

Anyway, I just acquired a V-amp2, and did a quick recording with it and my RG2820. I used the midi tracks on dreamtheater.net and had a few goes with the song. Pls excuse my crappy playing and timing..time to whip out the metronome..here's the two takes:

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...hp?eltid=13135

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Vi...hp?eltid=13136

Tags
air norton , air nortons , bridge pickup , bridge position , humbucking pickup , ibanez jpm , inner coils , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , pole switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode