J Custom 7570Z U shaped neck! Beefier? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

J Custom 7570Z U shaped neck! Beefier?

Has anyone played this model?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/pag...1#.VMAd3Iv9nVg

I have been looking at all the J Customs but this is the only one I have seen which has a "thicker" neck going by the specs.

I have been trying a crap load of Ibanez guitars recently and have come to the conclusion that I don't like the really really thin Super wizard necks but do like the slightly beefier mid 90's wizard (bubinga stripe) or wizard II sized necks, so basically anything that's not ultra thin.

Can anyone shed some like on what this guitar neck is like? Its pretty much the only current J custom that doesn't have the 17/19mm neck, also the "Custom U shape" has me confused as I thought most Ibanez necks where U shaped anyways?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM

Re: J Custom 7570Z U shaped neck! Beefier?

Yeah this is an Ultra neck,these are slightly older specs but only widths have increased a MM or so,shapes and thickness are the same.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Yeah this is an Ultra neck,these are slightly older specs but only widths have increased a MM or so,shapes and thickness are the same.

The quoted measurement is 18/20mm for this "u shape" neck. I have played an ultra on a rgt model and the neck felt massive in comparison to my iron label and my rg170, which should have the same 19/21mm specs, it honestly felt like one of the "slimmer" Gibson LP necks, it felt well above 19mm at the 1st, closer to maybe 21mm, but it might down to it one as it was an 03 model guitar and pretty sure they were all hand finished.

Thanks for posting the pic though. I'm eagerly waiting on some info from the Japanese seller.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Seems like the specs of a typical Wizard Prestige.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:25 AM

I honestly doubt it hinders playability if thats what you're worried about. I live in Tokyo so i could pop into a store and give it a try if you want.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsixboy View Post
The quoted measurement is 18/20mm for this "u shape" neck. I have played an ultra on a rgt model and the neck felt massive in comparison to my iron label and my rg170, which should have the same 19/21mm specs, it honestly felt like one of the "slimmer" Gibson LP necks, it felt well above 19mm at the 1st, closer to maybe 21mm, but it might down to it one as it was an 03 model guitar and pretty sure they were all hand finished.

Thanks for posting the pic though. I'm eagerly waiting on some info from the Japanese seller.
The Ultra neck on the early RGT Prestige guitars WAS fatter. They were spec'd at 19.5mm-21.5mm. My '02 comes in closer to 20-22. They were also very C-shaped, not a "U" at all. At least that's how mine measures out.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLipton View Post
I honestly doubt it hinders playability if thats what you're worried about. I live in Tokyo so i could pop into a store and give it a try if you want.
If you wanted to do that would be fantastic, really appreciate the offer

By the sounds of it this U shaped neck might be perfect for me.

I always thought my RG520 neck was a really thin one, until I tried the newer super wizards, for me personally I find these really thin necks harder/slower to play, thats why I have been very very cautious about buying any J Custom as I always assumed the normal J custom necks (17mm/19mm) were as thin as the new super wizards.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The Ultra neck on the early RGT Prestige guitars WAS fatter. They were spec'd at 19.5mm-21.5mm. My '02 comes in closer to 20-22. They were also very C-shaped, not a "U" at all. At least that's how mine measures out.......
That's what I thought. I have measured my Nitro neck on my iron label and it was exactly 19/21mm and the RGT I had (bought and returned for other reasons) felt considerably chunkier. Not a bad feeling neck though, just felt weird having a C shape and a bit of chunk on an RG, felt like I was playing an SG or LP but with flatter radius.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM

I did not look at your link but if it is 18/20 then it's a Wizard (most common on regular models) size with ultra shape. Not too thick,not too thin but with ultra (U) shape.
The Egen necks are in your ballpark too......now you have an idea of sizings available you should be able to find the perfect neck..good luck.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 04:27 AM

Thanks for posting the measurements, these have come in handy
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The RGT's just had totally different necks that don't seem to relate to anything else Ibanez makes. I think that could be why I've seen it called both Wizard and Ultra in catalogs. My '06 RGT sticks relatively close to Ultra specs, measuring out 18.9/21.8mm, but it's also about the widest neck I've measured at 43.9/58.4mm. My old '06 JC neck had the exact same width measurements but was much thinner.

Fattest neck I have is my '04 RG2120X which is an ultra and is just a touch under the 20/22 you mention and is pretty C-shaped.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The RGT's just had totally different necks that don't seem to relate to anything else Ibanez makes. I think that could be why I've seen it called both Wizard and Ultra in catalogs. My '06 RGT sticks relatively close to Ultra specs, measuring out 18.9/21.8mm, but it's also about the widest neck I've measured at 43.9/58.4mm. My old '06 JC neck had the exact same width measurements but was much thinner.

Fattest neck I have is my '04 RG2120X which is an ultra and is just a touch under the 20/22 you mention and is pretty C-shaped.
Well, we've always know there was a lot of variation in sizes of necks even under the same banner. Because of the size and finish, my RGT feels a lot like a Les Paul neck......but wider. I don't have the width numbers and I loaned it to Damien for some recording. I'll measure it again when I get it back.

Tags
j custom , neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode