Is this J Custom an amazing deal? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Is this J Custom an amazing deal?

Would have to have this shipped to me, within Canada. I have never seen a J Custom for sale in the classifieds in Canada in the past 1-2 years. I have NEVER played a J Custom, or even seen one in person. Closest I've gotten is probably a JEM10th.

An individual is selling his RG8570Z for $1800 CAD ($1356.50 USD) + shipping. He's the 2nd owner of the guitar.

What do you guys think, should I hop on this deal?
How will it compare to my 2000 & 2001 RG3120s? Or even my 2001 JEM7VWH (which I'm loving so far)?
I always prefer LoPro over Edge Zero, but the EZ's are at least stable from my experience with one (RG3570Z), so I can still live with it.

For people who have had this model, how is the actual guitar itself?

Some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Re: Is this J Custom an amazing deal?

The frets look amazing. I've been craving a J Custom maple top for a while now. Almost nobody around here has one. I have yet to touch one.

Looking at the specs, it seems it has the same profile as the Super HP Wizard neck (17-19mm).

I think you won't notice a difference, and it'll feel right at home. You've used these trems before. I'd jump on it, after giving him a more reasonable offer. Hopefully he'll agree.

$1800 is a little steep considering that I'd get the same specs for much cheaper...I mean a $500 used RG570 wouldn't feel too different in terms of functionality. Is the extra aesthetics and craftsmanship worth it?

I've been checking out Ishibashi's ubox. Sometimes they have used J customs up for around the same price. So I am not sure if I'll ever come across a deal that I could justify.

But I love the aesthetics, so I might look forward to one later this year, unless I'm hunting down a 2002 RG550. I love the RG550 more than I want a J custom.

In terms of playability, I am not much of a guitarist to judge if I have issues with the RGs I own. So, I really wouldn't know if I want a JC for reasons other than to feed my fanaticism. To be honest, I am little bit of a fanatic.

Sorry for going in circles, but I know by now that you're a fanatic as well. You need a JC!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeesan View Post
The frets look amazing. I've been craving a J Custom maple top for a while now. Almost nobody around here has one. I have yet to touch one.

Looking at the specs, it seems it has the same profile as the Super HP Wizard neck (17-19mm).

I think you won't notice a difference, and it'll feel right at home. You've used these trems before. I'd jump on it, after giving him a more reasonable offer. Hopefully he'll agree.

$1800 is a little steep considering that I'd get the same specs for much cheaper...I mean a $500 used RG570 wouldn't feel too different in terms of functionality. Is the extra aesthetics and craftsmanship worth it?

I've been checking out Ishibashi's ubox. Sometimes they have used J customs up for around the same price. So I am not sure if I'll ever come across a deal that I could justify.

But I love the aesthetics, so I might look forward to one later this year, unless I'm hunting down a 2002 RG550. I love the RG550 more than I want a J custom.

In terms of playability, I am not much of a guitarist to judge if I have issues with the RGs I own. So, I really wouldn't know if I want a JC for reasons other than to feed my fanaticism. To be honest, I am little bit of a fanatic.

Sorry for going in circles, but I know by now that you're a fanatic as well. You need a JC!
Well if you're comparing to a 570, it's also mahogany body / flame maple cap versus the 570's basswood. Different tone woods is a big difference (IMO). A 570 also doesn't have direct mount pups, uglier finishes (unless it's like a PN/EG/JB but then has square joint), and obviously craftsmanship differences.

I see what you're saying though, this J Custom is very similar spec-wise to my RG3120's, except for having the middle single coil, the vine inlay, matching headstock, flamed fingerboard binding, and Edge Zero (I prefer LoPro anyway). Same tone woods as my RGT320Q RBB too, but the RGT is neck-thru. I like the 3120's TW and DR finishes more then the black too, but black is still nice.

I guess the best thing to get from a J Custom is an ebony board, to make it unique compared to other mahogany RGs.

Why do you like RG550 over J Custom? And why 2002? Because of the AANJ on those later 550s? I guess you like my 2004 RG1550FM (from recent NGD) since you're such a 550 fan :P I'll sell it to you!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:12 PM

2300$ CAD is what I paid for my J-Custom RG8470BX in 2007(including taxes and custom fees). Considering the crazy price (around 3600$ USD) since we can now buy J-Custom from US dealers, I think it is an ok price.

J-custom have the best neck and playability I had experience with a guitar, superior to my prestige RTG320QRRB.

I love my prestige but end up playing my j-custom a lot more.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 01:48 PM

That guy has been selling that guitar for years now. Its not really an amazing deal. Those are great guitars butyou will have a hard time selling it if you don't vibe with it.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
An individual is selling his RG8570Z for $1800 CAD ($1356.50 USD) + shipping. He's the 2nd owner of the guitar.

What do you guys think, should I hop on this deal?
How will it compare to my 2000 & 2001 RG3120s? Or even my 2001 JEM7VWH (which I'm loving so far)?

For people who have had this model, how is the actual guitar itself?
I have that exact model and I can tell you that my '00 7VWH sounds nothing like it. Ebony absorbs too much string vibration especially on the treble side while rosewood, mahogany and maple top and a killer combo.

Depending on what amplifiers you have, alnico pickups might sound too muddy. My 8570 has an Evo 2 in the bridge, Gravity Storm in the neck and Lo Pro Edge studs ordered from Rich.

Replacing the pickups are a pain down there because of the VLX91 switch, in case you consider a pickup swap after you get it. Replacing the studs couldn't be easier.

I don't like the fact that the 8570 has a super thin neck, but the neck joint itself goes a little beyond typical AANJ. On the other hand, I think it lacks having scalloped frets like most Jems.

It's like an RG3120 with more attention to detail and cosmetics.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:07 PM

Beautiful guitar through and through. I've owned a bunch of J Customs over the years and had this model. No issues with it at all. I changed out the pickups as soon as I got it to an Evo in the neck and bridge.

I think the price is slightly high but not unreasonably so when you consider how beautiful the neck and fretwork are on these as well as the flamed top and binding on the neck. If the guitar is clean, then by all means, grab it!

I currently have 2 J Customs that I own and recently purchased and will keep indefinitely now. Every time I play them, which is essentially every day, I enjoy them more and more and appreciate how really well made they are.

I use Gravity storms in one of them and the other has a Duncan custom 5 with a couple of Duncan singles. Lots if tonal variations. No issues with the Edge zero either.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacebard View Post
2300$ CAD is what I paid for my J-Custom RG8470BX in 2007(including taxes and custom fees). Considering the crazy price (around 3600$ USD) since we can now buy J-Custom from US dealers, I think it is an ok price.

J-custom have the best neck and playability I had experience with a guitar, superior to my prestige RTG320QRRB.

I love my prestige but end up playing my j-custom a lot more.
And the RG8570z is essentially the same guitar! Finding a used J Custom on evilbay that I like and isn't beat up is at least $2000+ CAD after shipping and duties. And even then, those ones are basically an RG3120 with a different finish and a J Custom logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
I have that exact model and I can tell you that my '00 7VWH sounds nothing like it. Ebony absorbs too much string vibration especially on the treble side while rosewood, mahogany and maple top and a killer combo.

Replacing the pickups are a pain down there because of the VLX91 switch, in case you consider a pickup swap after you get it. Replacing the studs couldn't be easier.

I don't like the fact that the 8570 has a super thin neck, but the neck joint itself goes a little beyond typical AANJ. On the other hand, I think it lacks having scalloped frets like most Jems.

It's like an RG3120 with more attention to detail and cosmetics.
So you're saying you definitely prefer the 8570z over your ebony board JEM7V? I'll just get my local tech to replace the pickups for me. I don't mind the worn finish on the studs, it doesn't really bug me. I agree with the scalloped frets, but to be honest, when I got my first JEM7V I was excited about the scalloped frets, but realized that they don't really feel different to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
I think the price is slightly high but not unreasonably so when you consider how beautiful the neck and fretwork are on these as well as the flamed top and binding on the neck. If the guitar is clean, then by all means, grab it!

I currently have 2 J Customs that I own and recently purchased and will keep indefinitely now. Every time I play them, which is essentially every day, I enjoy them more and more and appreciate how really well made they are.
Good to hear. It just has a couple small dings and scratches. The owner said that a saddle on the stock edge zero broke, so he ordered and put in a brand new edge zero. I guess that's good, right? Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
That guy has been selling that guitar for years now. Its not really an amazing deal. Those are great guitars butyou will have a hard time selling it if you don't vibe with it.
Really? He's been trying to sell it on and off and decided not to, or has it been sitting on kijiji for years? I actually find that VERY surprising because that's the cheapest most Canadians will find a J Custom. Aside from a couple small dings and scratches it looks like it's in good shape.

I offered him $1500 CAD all in (including shipping). He's going to get back to me. What do you guys think of that? Will I have a hard time reselling at that price if I don't bond with it for whatever reason?

I'll post links to some more pics so you guys can see the condition and blemishes.

Last edited by Steveche; 03-26-2016 at 11:03 PM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Here's links to a bunch of pics. Main blemishes are 2 small dings, one below the tone knob and one above the middle pickup. And 2 bad scratches together on the back, near the top horn (on the body cutout):

http://m.imgur.com/a/8VoTA

http://m.imgur.com/a/fQ012
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
So you're saying you definitely prefer the 8570z over your ebony board JEM7V?
Exactly. The 8570 is heavy, full and therapeutic because it really feels like a special guitar. The 7VWH sounds dull and both have the same Evo 2 / Gravity Storm configuration.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 06:32 AM

Really like it..!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

He agreed to $1500 shipped!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Cool, like stealthtastic I've seen that guitar pop up a few times over the last couple years, 1500 shipped is good. There was a puzzle top in Edmonton for a while also, shoulda jumped on that one.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklpunk View Post
Cool, like stealthtastic I've seen that guitar pop up a few times over the last couple years, 1500 shipped is good. There was a puzzle top in Edmonton for a while also, shoulda jumped on that one.
Wow last couple of years... Any idea why it hasn't sold? Makes me a little uncomfortable.. Considering that a Candian won't find much better prices while shopping for a J Custom, and this appears to be in great shape aside from the few dings/scratches...

Puzzle top is sweet, how much did it go for?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016, 02:58 PM

Don't know if the puzzle top sold, don't remember exactly but it may have been 1600 or 1800. No idea why that custom didn't sell. Just doesn't appeal to some people I guess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode