J Custom for Blues - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

J Custom for Blues

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what J Custom is best suited for playing Blues ?
I am looking to buy such an instrument preferable vintage
Thanks a lot for helping out
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 AM

Re: J Custom for Blues

In my age, I play blues with my USA Custom "necromancer castle'...
What I'm trying to say is, every guitars can play the blues, it's only depend on the player.
If you want something with more vintage look, then the J custom may not be the best.
There are some J custom with more vintage look such as RG 8540, try that if you like it.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:14 AM

I don't think guitars themselves are ever very genre specific. Just throw in some warmer vintage output pickups and you're good to go.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

What I meant with vintage is not the look but just an older J custom since I have heard they might be better, dont know if that is true ...
I would like to avoid changing pickups so my question was what J custom has already that "vintage sound" ?
Thanks for curing my ignorance ;-)
Eric
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:06 AM

I found that an RGT320QRBB with a Liquifire in the neck position sounded fantastic for blues.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 10:27 AM

The older jcustoms are definitely not as nice as the newer ones in my opinion.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFever View Post
What I meant with vintage is not the look but just an older J custom since I have heard they might be better, dont know if that is true ...
I would like to avoid changing pickups so my question was what J custom has already that "vintage sound" ?
Thanks for curing my ignorance ;-)
Eric
I don't think I've ever played a J Custom that I'd describe as inherently "vintage sounding." They're very modern guitars. You can get a whole bunch of different sounds out of them, but I wouldn't characterize even the older ones as overly "vintage."

And *especially* the older Ibanez guitars can be improved by a change of pickups.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I don't think guitars themselves are ever very genre specific.
Not only I totally agree with you, but I also should add that alnico pickups such as the Tone Zone and Air Norton aren't exactly what I consider proper for most Prestige and J-Custom guitars.

I wonder why those guys at Ibanez don't ship their guitars with Super Distortion and PAF Pro instead.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Not only I totally agree with you, but I also should add that alnico pickups such as the Tone Zone and Air Norton aren't exactly what I consider proper for most Prestige and J-Custom guitars.

I wonder why those guys at Ibanez don't ship their guitars with Super Distortion and PAF Pro instead.
You mean you wonder why they don't ship them with your choice of pickups instead of their choice of pickups?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
You mean you wonder why they don't ship them with your choice of pickups instead of their choice of pickups?
Not really! My favourite pickups are the Evo 2 and Gravity Storm. That's the combo I have in all my guitars. I just find the Super Distortion and PAF Pro more powerful and versatile than the typical TZ/AN combo.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 AM

It is a little bit odd that they haven't changed the standard pickup offering since the 90's.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
Not really! My favourite pickups are the Evo 2 and Gravity Storm. That's the combo I have in all my guitars. I just find the Super Distortion and PAF Pro more powerful and versatile than the typical TZ/AN combo.
I think most people find them more powerful and thus less versatile than the SD/PP combo you mention. The TZ/AN combo is generally recognised as very easy to get ubiquitous, but nonetheless great sounds out of, which probably explains why they're in there in why they've not been changed for so long!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think most people find them more powerful and thus less versatile than the SD/PP combo you mention.
I knew you were going to say that! I would normally leave the Air Norton (before having it replaced) as close as possible to the strings to increase output. At least with the Super Distortion / PAF Pro combo or let's say Super 3 / Super 2 you can always lower the pickups if they're too much.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Conversely with today's amps, that sort of output simply isn't required, hence the more moderate output, more generic TZ/AN combo. Ibanez is simply trying to please all of the people all of the time and this is the way they have chosen, probably based on some sort of semi meaningful market research...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 2

If I were looking for a "vintage" J-custom, that would also be highly versatile, I would pick either the RG9570 or RG9670 from 2001-2002

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode