J Custom and Edge Zero term... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

J Custom and Edge Zero term...

First post on this site... I've been looking into purchasing my first J Custom but have had some concerns about the Edge Zero trem as I've read that it's not all is was supposed to be. However, I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Edge. Is the EZ a reason to stay away from the J Custom or is it not as bad as some make it out to be? I definitely want a quality trem that stays in tune, even if that means choosing an Ibanez with another trem...

Sorry if it's a stupid question, just looking for any help I can get before making a decision... Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 AM

Re: J Custom and Edge Zero term...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ed...ro-102734.html
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 AM

Not a stupid question but it's a subject that's been debated quite a bit here. See the post at the link above and you'll see what I mean.

IMHO and experience, the EZ is inferior to the Edge, Lo-Pro and Edge Pro but that's no reason NOT to get a JC. The EZ works if set up properly and if the ZPS is removed.

Good luck with your decision.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM

There are J Custom models, lots more in fact that don't have the EZ trem. All my JC's have either the Lo Pro Edge or Edge Pro on them. There are guys on here who have JC's with the EZ trem who will tell you they've never had a problem with it. What model/models are you considering???
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

I was looking at the RG8570Z. I had a guitar briefly with an Edge trem and I thought it was great - I guess I'm just worried about liking the Edge Zero as much.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM

There's are guys on here who have JC's with Edge zeros. Maybe they could give you some info. Have you checked with Rich?? He has some great JC's for sale.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 PM

Mike,

Get one, take the ZPS out and you're set.

Allow me to quote myself:

"Just to let you all know, I have a JCRG with Edge Zero and I took the ZPS out about 4 weeks ago. Then I brought it back to pitch, loosened all strings * before lowering both studs, repeated this process twice to reach the perfect height and finally retuned it and locked the nut.

* to prevent from damaging the studs and knife edges

After these weeks playing that guitar and using the whammy bar (but not abusing), I checked the tuning last Saturday and it was almost like last month when I tuned it for the last time. All strings were 1/15th flat except for 2/15th for the high E. 15/15 would be half-tone. I haven't installed Lo Pro Edge studs yet or the locking screws that came with the guitar either."

Last edited by Melek Taus; 08-02-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: quote added
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
There's are guys on here who have JC's with Edge zeros. Maybe they could give you some info. Have you checked with Rich?? He has some great JC's for sale.
+1
Rich is definately the one to ask, he may even chime in here. Also, there is a search feature on Jemsite. Look for Edge Zero threads, and you'll see what others say.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Vendor

These threads always turn into a microcosm of each other. Those that really like the new bridges, those that prefer the older better bridges , and those that are ambivalent about all of it. Thanks to the Edge for coming back, if it would only come back full force.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM

I have 3 J Customs. I use all three of them live, weekly. I'm in the studio recording weekly for an animation company for a series. All three guitars have edge zero bars on them. I have absolutely zero (ha!) issues with any of them. I left the zps bar on all three guitars. That being said, I have my new Rg1527 that has the edge pro on it and it has been far more of a pain in the a## to setup. I had to buy locking studs from Rich for it and I installed an ESP arming adjuster as well.

With the edge zero bars, I just adjusted the spring tension, tuned them, intonated, re tuned and I was done

No worries! Get that J Custom and enjoy it!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 AM

Reviews: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
These threads always turn into a microcosm of each other. Those that really like the new bridges, those that prefer the older better bridges , and those that are ambivalent about all of it. Thanks to the Edge for coming back, if it would only come back full force.
Jupp they should simply put Edge on all guitars and be done with it...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:00 PM

i ve had my rg8470 for 2 years, no issues.

Tags
edge zero , j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode