J custom Finish RS 8420 ZD and setup ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
mai

J custom Finish RS 8420 ZD and setup ?

Hi i just recently purchased a ibanez j custom, i noticed that there are tiny indentations on my guitar like little pits on it, it doesn't bother me to much but i am wondering if this is normal, as well, i am wondering about action setup on this bridge is there like a guide to full set it up with low action step by step ? and the definition of low action on this specific guitar ? measured at the 12th fret, thanks! i have been having trouble playing with the factory setup, i have small girl hands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned

Re: J custom Finish RS 8420 ZD and setup ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Hi i just recently purchased a ibanez j custom, i noticed that there are tiny indentations on my guitar like little pits on it, it doesn't bother me to much but i am wondering if this is normal, as well, i am wondering about action setup on this bridge is there like a guide to full set it up with low action step by step ? and the definition of low action on this specific guitar ? measured at the 12th fret, thanks! i have been having trouble playing with the factory setup, i have small girl hands
have a look on rich's site ibanez rules.it explains how to setup trem ect.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
mai

sweet thanks
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:35 AM
GAZ

Where are the indentations ? If they're on the flame top it's normal.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 AM

Mine has the same tiny dents?
Have no idea
And trust me, i take care of it just as much as any other guitar owned. i have no idea how they got there :S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
mai

yeah it is a flame maple top, when i first got it i did an inspection i just though it was a temperature/humidity issue may have caused this type of damage, but now that i know it is common on flame tops i am less worried, though what causes this ?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
GAZ

The figuring is where the 'indentations' are,that's the cause, even my Suhr has it, it's less noticable the less figuring there is on the guitar.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
The figuring is where the 'indentations' are,that's the cause, even my Suhr has it, it's less noticable the less figuring there is on the guitar.
Deflections of that kind, i. e. uneven clear coat, over a flame top is for others a sign of sloppy finishing.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_17 View Post
Deflections of that kind, i. e. uneven clear coat, over a flame top is for others a sign of sloppy finishing.
It's nothing to do with uneven clear coat, from certain angles reflections will appear distorted due to the unevenness of the figured wood underneath.My PRS, Suhr and J Customs all exhibit this.It's only noticable under certain lighting conditions.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Reviews: 10

I think we don't mean the same thing.There are flame tops out there that have an uneven finishing surface, referred to as deflection. You can see it, but even more clearly feel it when you move your fingers over it. I have seen dozens of newer (2008/2009) J Customs that suffered from this. It's hard to sand down a flame maple surface so it's totally plane, and then finish it to stay that way. But it's a sign of high craftsmanship when it's totally flat.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
mai

yeah mine is a an 09 its uneven finishing is definitely the case, i wish they took more care into my guitar it seems like they just mass produce these i can see why some say these are just RGs with mahogany bodies and rounded frets
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM

My two 2010 RG8570 J-Customs have flawless finishes... I am sorry to hear about yours...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
mai

eh its okay LOL nothing this world is perfect iam just glad it sounds really really good, like on a tube amp this thing sounds just amazing totally worth the money
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM

I've had mine since Feb and I honestly love them more and more as time passes. The finish is a bonus to me 'caues the playability and tone they produce is already worth the cash imo...

Enjoy!!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:12 AM

Its a sign of a real top,its not a fault!
Most quality tops demonstrate their grain and i personally look for that in my tops.
If you like it flat fare enough but why buy an expensive top then? Just buy a cheap veneer top or photo fake. I had a $400 photo fake that was flat as glass,if that's quality to you then why buy expensive figured tops?
Just my 2cents and personally the genuine tops i've seen flat as glass(very few) i walk away from as i know they have too much clear and that just strangle tone IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode