J-Custom an opportunity lost? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 08:05 AM

Re: J-Custom an opportunity lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If i recall, I've only touched 1, The sides are not sandblasted? if so, in a case, Against a wall, it may be PERCIEVED to be only front blasted, I can vouch, as can rich, and many others, the front and rear (and headstock) are blasted (embossed)

JC's are not huge sellers, Many come around to them after seeing them advertised elsewhere, like Glen also pointed out, they are not sold in the US ( i think thats why the USA Customs and Masters appeared) i reckon the clue may just be in the name of the guitar dudes !!!

I'd personally like to see a UK Custom released, And i'd love the chance to help with input.

Rob

P.S. Gibson LP's and Custom shops look similar ala RG - J-C's but build quality and finishing is somewhat differant ( marginal maybe, but still you gets what you pay for in 90% of the cases )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: J-Custom an opportunity lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
SERIOUSLY if your ever in the UK pop into P.M.T in Birmingham (off the A34 nar the city centre), walk into the guitar gallery you will see a gantry to your right, go up it and in the glass case are 3 guitars. A strat painted with Hendrix all over it, a B.C Rich Warlock previous owned by Blackie Lawless and laughably over priced Jackson Warrior and a JEM90. I mean I checked the pictures int he JemSite gallery and looks EXACTLY the SAME, just the knobbly finish is only on the top, and it says "Ibanez JEM" on the headstock, it has the aluminium scratchplate and everthing.

If it is a copy the £2500 they are asking for it is VASTLY overpriced! Unless its a prototype??
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
The only real Custom 'J-Custom' line of guitars out right now are the ones that Kurosawa(MRG), Ikebe(HRG) and Yamano music(YCRG) get built for them. As those are the ones that were truly different from the standard line of J-Customs. But aside from some cosmetic changes(different tops, different pickup combos, different colors) they're still essentially the standard J-Custom lineup.

It would indeed be nice to see some more innovative designs in the J-Custom line but I seriously believe that Ibanez would rather push out J-Customs with time tested designs so they would sell, rather than try to innovate something and hoping it will sell. But then again, Ibanez does seem to use the J-Custom line for pilot projects as there are J-Custom models out there that were never listed in thier normal catalog.
besides the MRG, HRG/YCRG, there is IRG...is that Ishibashi-custom model?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 02:39 AM

That is correct, I is for Ishibashi's custom models
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 02:54 AM

ok so there are models that certain dealers in Japan have made for them.. custom shop models so to speak; HRGs, IRGs, etc. now is this like the "you must ask for a bulk order of 50 with certain specs" or can Ikebe order a single custom guitar??.. if the latter is the case. could a consumer email ikebe and be like "hey. i want this, this, this. get it made"?? in other words.. a general public custom shop, just have to go through japanese dealer instead of an american dealer, which is most of the time no different than if you wanted a j-custom. of course, this is probably not the case at all
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
SERIOUSLY if your ever in the UK pop into P.M.T in Birmingham (off the A34 nar the city centre), walk into the guitar gallery you will see a gantry to your right, go up it and in the glass case are 3 guitars. A strat painted with Hendrix all over it, a B.C Rich Warlock previous owned by Blackie Lawless and laughably over priced Jackson Warrior and a JEM90. I mean I checked the pictures int he JemSite gallery and looks EXACTLY the SAME, just the knobbly finish is only on the top, and it says "Ibanez JEM" on the headstock, it has the aluminium scratchplate and everthing.

If it is a copy the £2500 they are asking for it is VASTLY overpriced! Unless its a prototype??

PMT in Southend once quoted me £20,000 for a signed JEM10th (they are muppets)
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza1004
PMT in Southend once quoted me £20,000 for a signed JEM10th (they are muppets)
BWAHAHHAHAHAHA, who much if they rub the sig. off .

Regards

André

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
ok so there are models that certain dealers in Japan have made for them.. custom shop models so to speak; HRGs, IRGs, etc. now is this like the "you must ask for a bulk order of 50 with certain specs" or can Ikebe order a single custom guitar??.. if the latter is the case. could a consumer email ikebe and be like "hey. i want this, this, this. get it made"?? in other words.. a general public custom shop, just have to go through japanese dealer instead of an american dealer, which is most of the time no different than if you wanted a j-custom. of course, this is probably not the case at all
There's a minimum quantity dealers have to order for each 'Custom spec' guitar. Whether you want a normal model, a Prestige model, a Signature model or a J-Custom model, I believe there is a minimum quantity of something like 4-6 pieces per model.

It is quite possible for a shop like IKEBE to take an order for a custom spec guitar for the public but first you'd probably have to know the guys there. Second, be willing to order the mimimum quantity and lastly, be willing to pay the full list price for each. (I also believe that they can only do these custom orders once or twice a year either around NAMM, Musikmesse or the Tokyo Music Show).

It's probably the only loophole around the system, but I don't know how likely a dealer would do this. (Actually it's quite likely if you know someone there and can prove that you're serious about ordering 4-6 custom guitars).
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
There's a minimum quantity dealers have to order for each 'Custom spec' guitar. Whether you want a normal model, a Prestige model, a Signature model or a J-Custom model, I believe there is a minimum quantity of something like 4-6 pieces per model.

It is quite possible for a shop like IKEBE to take an order for a custom spec guitar for the public but first you'd probably have to know the guys there. Second, be willing to order the mimimum quantity and lastly, be willing to pay the full list price for each. (I also believe that they can only do these custom orders once or twice a year either around NAMM, Musikmesse or the Tokyo Music Show).

It's probably the only loophole around the system, but I don't know how likely a dealer would do this. (Actually it's quite likely if you know someone there and can prove that you're serious about ordering 4-6 custom guitars).
yeah figures.. still no easy way for an RG custom . i've only been in touch with Koichi from Ishibashi. I bought my 8527 from him. maybe he could get customs done too.. but i know right now i have no extra money to do that, and i dont' think i could find 4 to 6 other people that would want the same custom i woudl.. maybe in the future though. i'll probably stick with getting an Abyss custom when i get rich and famous (yeah right) and have tons of money Oh well
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:

I live in Wolverhampton right by Birmingham and regularly visit PMT (that's Pro Music Technology ). The Jem90th there has the finish all around and is not a copy I can assure you. It is no longer in the case and I have looked it over. They have a couple J customs there, though this argument about not grabbing attention is very true, as the RG3270M there looks much cooler IMO. Gorgeous trans black flame and played like a dream too, I'd never seen one before.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 PM

Quote:
If it is Not a copy it is still pretty steep!!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:50 PM

I love JCs and had many...but to be on general release in the US they would have to start to pull people away for the likes of Fender Custom Shop... PRS... Suhr , Anderson and that is an ultra competative market!
They are great guitars but if you put it against a Suhr or Anderson... for a few $100 more you can specify every option from electronics... neck carve... materials etc to suit you all made by a top luthier and decent residuals.... Plus with a Surh you could bets your a$$ that it would be a great top!!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezNorthwest
I love JCs and had many...but to be on general release in the US they would have to start to pull people away for the likes of Fender Custom Shop... PRS... Suhr , Anderson and that is an ultra competative market!
They are great guitars but if you put it against a Suhr or Anderson... for a few $100 more you can specify every option from electronics... neck carve... materials etc to suit you all made by a top luthier and decent residuals.... Plus with a Surh you could bets your a$$ that it would be a great top!!
Both an Andy and a Suhr...and don't forget Tyler and Don Grosh...oh and Melancon....
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:14 AM

Not wrong TOC!! Mels are probably some of the best dollar for doallar guitars out there!

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , fender custom shop , humbucker guitar , ibanez jem , local music shop , pickup combo , rich warlock , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode