J-Custom an opportunity lost? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb J-Custom an opportunity lost?

This is controversial, but the J-Customs just aren't grabbing people over here in the UK. Why? Because when the casual shopper looks at them they look almost IDENTICAL to models in the standard RG range just with different tops, their resale value in shops and net auctions is fractional compared to high prices people pay for them, and in a shop they all look the same!

Why can't we have move than just a 2 humbucker guitar with a different flame top? Why don't Ibanez grab the opportunity to re-release their classic J-Customs like the RG-METAL?? The could sell 1000s of these old classics, why not use the J-Custom brand to try out new manufacturing methods and electronics? Why not have seymour duncans or active electronics and new and exciting inlays??

After all they are suppose to be limited edition collectors guitars so lets have some genuine difference and collectability please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:03 AM
Vendor

Re: J-Custom an opportunity lost?

The biggest problem I see is threads about J Customs in the Jem/Universe section. No wonder nobody is paying attention to them.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Yeh but thats my fault there did not seem to be a "delete" option sorry!
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:04 AM

Well, they should make the J-Customs available to more countries, for starters. I agree, they should make the J-Customs like what they were. But still, you can't deny that even the '05 models still look amazing.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 10:49 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

J-Customs don't "grab" people in most places hence they're not imported into the USA, etc. They're designed for domestic Japan. If they're not available it's mostly because they are not expected to sell in retail. Broker services like Rich offers can always move specialty, niche products... i'm talking authorized retailers... glen
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:00 AM

But still it would be nice if maybe a limited number of JCs are imported to other countries. Unfortunately, the only high-end RG here in Malaysia with a maple top is the RG3120.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:05 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

they don't have a "PRS-like" operation at Fujigen and the options released are what the bean-counters expect to sell AND be able to produce. you guys want a mass-market custom shop with boutique quality product, but that is like asking a toddler to drive a car... glen
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if Ibanez opened up a Japan Custom Shop like ESP? But I guess such a dream is still far away...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
but that is like asking a toddler to drive a car... glen
can relate to that. when i was about 4 i wrote-off my mum's (then) brand new mini cooper. jumped in the car with my little sister, let the handbrake off, took it out of gear, and down the hill she went. it's a miracle that no-one was hurt.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM

The only real Custom 'J-Custom' line of guitars out right now are the ones that Kurosawa(MRG), Ikebe(HRG) and Yamano music(YCRG) get built for them. As those are the ones that were truly different from the standard line of J-Customs. But aside from some cosmetic changes(different tops, different pickup combos, different colors) they're still essentially the standard J-Custom lineup.

It would indeed be nice to see some more innovative designs in the J-Custom line but I seriously believe that Ibanez would rather push out J-Customs with time tested designs so they would sell, rather than try to innovate something and hoping it will sell. But then again, Ibanez does seem to use the J-Custom line for pilot projects as there are J-Custom models out there that were never listed in thier normal catalog.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Cool Re: J-Custom an opportunity lost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
The only real Custom 'J-Custom' line of guitars out right now are the ones that Kurosawa(MRG), Ikebe(HRG) and Yamano music(YCRG) get built for them. As those are the ones that were truly different from the standard line of J-Customs. But aside from some cosmetic changes(different tops, different pickup combos, different colors) they're still essentially the standard J-Custom lineup.

It would indeed be nice to see some more innovative designs in the J-Custom line but I seriously believe that Ibanez would rather push out J-Customs with time tested designs so they would sell, rather than try to innovate something and hoping it will sell. But then again, Ibanez does seem to use the J-Custom line for pilot projects as there are J-Custom models out there that were never listed in thier normal catalog.
I totally agree, thats why to the casual observer they look like standard flame top RGs they dont scream "BUY ME" ike they used to, it is almost like they are being used as a posh RG range, when they used to be used innovative techniques like the RG-METAL which pioneered the JEM90HAM (mind you JEM90 buyers were conned because the RG-METAL has the embossed finish ALL OVER the body)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
(mind you JEM90 buyers were conned because the RG-METAL has the embossed finish ALL OVER the body)
And what makes you think the JEM90 wasn't all over the body also?!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
And what makes you think the JEM90 wasn't all over the body also?!
Have seen one in a local music shop hidden away in a glass cabinet for extreme sums of money at point blank range, the finish was only on the top the rest of the guitar was as normal (unless it was a highly convincing copy)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 05:50 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
Have seen one in a local music shop hidden away in a glass cabinet for extreme sums of money at point blank range, the finish was only on the top the rest of the guitar was as normal (unless it was a highly convincing copy)
Yea, sure....

http://www.jemsite.com/jem/model/jem90ham.htm
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 06:23 AM

What you have to remember, is that in Japan, a top of the line 'production' JC costs a bit less than a Jem, and significantly less than a bottom of the line PRS. So, while its true that theyre not the most interesting guitars in the world (yep, all they really are is top of the line RGs), id quite happily keep buying them simply as theyre not bad value for money for 'custom shop' guitars.

That said, I would like to see more really special ones. The whole ethos of something like this should be to make fantastic guitars regardless of price, they should just let the artisans make whatever they want every now and then, then wed probably see more guitars like the maple one on richs site etc. But even the
JC line has lost ebony boards, so its plain to see that JC are no longer made to uncomprimising specs, and is run by the evil bean counters. awww

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , fender custom shop , humbucker guitar , ibanez jem , local music shop , pickup combo , rich warlock , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode