J-Custom & Prestige confusion - What makes a J-C a J-C? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:13 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: J-Custom & Prestige confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Greg- if you want a brand-new UV1000C for your VWH (or the RGT), I'll trade ya for that J-Custom case. Let me know.
Is this a classified ad? Please use private email for solicitations.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Ibanez then brands the same guitars (or ones tagged for export) as Prestige guitars.
This is simply untrue, and has been proven time and again, in printed quotes from Ibanez/Hoshino. Check your catalogs.

You can ban me all you want and delete all these posts, but it'll still be false.
drama is boring. i'll spare the catalog review and stick to common knowledge/sense. thanks for the hype though :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:22 PM
deleted username

You're very welcome.....FOR THE FACTS.
post #18 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 03:25 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
You're very welcome.....FOR THE FACTS.
OK... so... back up your facts now...

QUESTION: are the luthiers who build the J-Customs more highly trained than the luthiers who build the Prestige guitars at Ibanez?
post #19 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:16 PM
deleted username

Nope. Same guys (and probably girls), they just finish with the Prestiges before the J-Customs. Seems pretty damn simple to me.

Riddle me this, Batman:
According to *YOU*, the Prestiges are simply re-labeled J-Customs.
Show us an RG-9570 (in either color), or an S9870-CRS, with "Prestige" on the headstock.
Conversely, show us a 3120 with "J-Custom" on the headstock.

...and, if Prestiges are only for the US, why are they distributed world-wide?
If J-Customs are 'Japan Only', why are they distributed in Europe?

Hmmm....
post #20 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:29 PM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Nope. Same guys (and probably girls), they just finish with the Prestiges before the J-Customs. Seems pretty damn simple to me.
so... now you have info on length of time required to build an Ibanez guitar that says "j-custom" and ones that say "prestige" now?

QUESTION: Please identify the extra time and steps required to build a J-Custom over a Prestige guitar with near identical features. (ie. apples vs apples comparison... not RG-GOLD vs RG3120).

Quote:
Riddle me this, Batman: According to *YOU*, the Prestiges are simply re-labeled J-Customs. Show us an RG-9570 (in either color), or an S9870-CRS, with "Prestige" on the headstock.
Conversely, show us a 3120 with "J-Custom" on the headstock.
you need a color-by-numbers book? SAME QUALITY. Some models are tweaked according to MARKETING for intended region. Please use common sense instead of continuing counterproductive arguments.

Quote:
...and, if Prestiges are only for the US, why are they distributed world-wide? If J-Customs are 'Japan Only', why are they distributed in Europe?
Who said "only for the USA". They could be sold wherever ibanez MARKETING DEPT sees fit. Again the difference between a guitar labeled J-Custom and Prestige is DETERMINED by MARKETING PEOPLE... not the training level, skill level or desire of the workers in Japan.

Is that clearer, or do you wish to continue... glen
post #21 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:41 PM

This is a stupid question, but does anyone have a 2002 Ibanez Japanese brochure? Does it show Prestige models (i.e. a RGT 3120) we have in the USA as J-Customs?
Out,
GP
post #22 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:50 PM
deleted username

Like everyone else, I'm waiting for some examples.
Preferably in picture form.

If you want to say, "near identical features", then should we start saying that RG-350DX's or even DSY's have "near identical features" as a JEM10? They all have inline headstock, 24 frets, 6 strings, trem, H-S-H, etc.

If you want to be vauge, then just say "guitar". If you want to be specific, then be open to differences, in components and craftsmanship.

RG-GOLD vs. 3120? Why not? One is a J-Custom and one is a Prestige.
Isn't that the comparison *YOU* asked for? "J-Custom vs. Prestige"...correct?
Why not an ART or GEAR vs. an RGT3120?

Sorry if those are too clear for ya.

Quote:
"You need a color-by-numbers book?"
Skip the sarcasm, and try to be an adult about this.
post #23 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 04:58 PM
site founder 0% owner

Sorry, but i cannot discuss this further if you feel a JEM10 and RG-350DX's are apples-to-apples comparison and need clarifications about such simple things... glen
post #24 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:27 PM

Reviews: 5
i would imagine that Prestige just sounded better than "cheaper J-customs". It seems that most of the Prestige line is built off the bottom end of the J-Custom line. You don't see anything as extravagant on the Prestige line. It'd be like taking a 4 cylinder Mustang to Japan and calling it a Wild Pony. It's just the cheap end of the J-Custom line I think.
post #25 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:50 PM
deleted username

For those who need the help:
Quote:
If you want to say, "near identical features", then should we start saying that RG-350DX's or even DSY's have "near identical features" as a JEM10?
It's a question. If you don't want to answer it, then just say so.

(Now be sure to close the thread after you delete this one.)
post #26 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 05:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

see... isn't that better.

carry on with discussion (not insults) as i've said i have nothing to discuss here
post #27 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:01 PM
Vendor

I've already shown you examples of "bottom of the barrell" J Customs, is your memory that short?
post #28 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:01 PM
deleted username

No pics?
No answer to my question?

Bummer. I was hoping to be wrong.

Tell ya what, you go on with your immensely illogical quest to determine who does what with what at the J-Custom shop, and I'll be over here enjoying my J-Customs and playing my friends' Prestiges...that have playability and looks unparalled by the other big name guitar makers.

Enjoy!
Don't cook your brain.
post #29 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:19 PM

As long as it is being debated, I thought that I would mention that I have no idea who builds these guiatrs, the time each one takes or they simply if they love one more than the other. But I do know that my rg1880 is much nicer guitar than my rgt3120 or most of the rg3120's that I have played. It looks nicer and plays a good bit better.

Two more points that I would like to share.
1. If there is not a difference why does japan have prestige models .
2. and this one goes a little the other way as far as why does japan not have a rg-3120 j-custom? Well I alway thought that the rg 1680 kind of was the japanese market 3120. I mean yes the neck and pickups are different and it has a single coil in the middle, But at one time it was even offered in twilight blue. And the other specs are the same.
post #30 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Vendor

I posted pics for you, if I had the time I'd go find the thread, I'm sure you have the time though, so HAVE FUN.

Tags
abalone inlays , acoustic guitar , angled jack , cavity cover , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric johnson , flame maple , flame maple binding , flamed maple , fret access , fret level , guitar shop , headstock overlay , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jack socket , maple binding , music store , neck joint , neck pockets , neck thru , neck thru body , paf pro , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , production model , rosewood board , signature guitar , stainless steel frets , steel frets , texas prestige , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode