J-Custom & Prestige confusion - What makes a J-C a J-C? - Page 5 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:38 AM

Amen to that, brother Chris!

To Greg's point, I've never understood the limited run Prestige models like the RG7CTVV. While it might not have piezos or an ebony board like the J-Custom RG7CST, I seriously doubt there is any difference in the parts or quality between the two guitars. Just seems to make a confusing matter even more confusing!

When all is said & done, I like J-Customs. I like Prestiges just as much. I'd still take 'em over a Jem any day of the week, regardless of mystique!

--B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:47 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Greg- When I first read Jay13's post I thought, "Oh great...Glen will immediately think that's me." Guess I wasn't too far off. The truth is, it's not me. Sorry folks- pay your bets. :-)
Dear Mr. Paranoid.

Jay13's identity was never in question. Learn to read better.

In fact, any other member would have their forum membership REVOKED for posting such absurd ACCUSATIONS, and in fact will be if you don't use some smarts when you post here.

I know you crave attention, but SEEK IT ELSEWHERE PLEASE (maybe on IM)

... glen

ps - no one hates/dislikes J-Customs here.... you've barked up another wrong tree AGAIN.
post #63 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:49 AM

Someone please answer this for me. If there was an unmarked (no paint and no nomenclature) JC on a stand next to an unmarked (no paint and no nomenclature) prestige could u tell a difference?
Out,
GP
post #64 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:51 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pri0531
Someone please answer this for me. If there was an unmarked (no paint and no nomenclature) JC on a stand next to an unmarked (no paint and no nomenclature) prestige could u tell a difference?
Out,
GP
Yes, the J-C smells better from 1.3 meters

OK... that was HUMOR ...glen
post #65 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Yes, just to clarify, in my post above about Jay13's post, the indicates intended light-hearted humor, tonge-in-cheek, etc.

I must admit I'm dumbfounded at how serious this stuff gets.
Greg
post #66 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:25 PM

Here's a total X-Files geeky take on the situation:

Kevan= Fox Mulder.
-there is evidence to back up his belief that J Customs are a little bit "above and beyond" the normal Prestige models. Kinda of like a race of "super-guitars". But, there are only a selected few that see the merits of the J Customs, and those few are deemed as heretics or "wackos" (even if not using that exact term).

Glen/Rich= FBI Assistant Directors.
-they may or may not know more than they let on, and normally neither deny nor confirm the merits of the J Custom line. There may or may not be inside contact at Ibanez/Hoshino that have additional information. Thus, the J Customs MAY bet better/different from the Prestige/Signature lines, but...they are not at liberty (or are for reasons know only to them, are unwiling) to admit that.

Glen's role as the apparent "nemesis" to Kevan's "Mulder" would also qualify him to be the "Cigarette Smoking Man" in this scenario. No matter what Kevan comes up with to subastantiate his beliefs in regards to J Customs, Glen is there to squash any uprising of faith in the line. Is Glen doing this for the well-being of the public? Perhaps. Or is his dislike for J Customs due in part to somehow serving his own hidden agenda?

Me: Scully
-Granted, I'm not nearly as hot as Gillian Anderson, but...I've got a great personality! I was pretty damn skeptical at first as to whether or not J Customs were that great. But, once I was "adbucted" by my RG-ART, I was sold! I'm still cautiously in love with the J Customs, but I'm open-minded to the different arguments both for and against them. I'm definitely in favor of the theory that J Customs are different (if not better) than the other production models. I personally am convinced of this. But...I only believe that because I have experienced J Customs, Prestiges and Signature models all first hand. I can only speak from MY experiences, which are very much in favor of J Customs.

Ibanez:: That evil old dude in the movie who pulled all the strings
They're the "big brother" of guitar companies. It's impossible to get a straight answer, and the real "truth" will most likely never be willingly divulged. The fat cats at Ibanez are probably sitting in their ivory tower laughing at us all right now. We are most likely nothing more than a great source of amusement to them...even though they'd never even admit we existed. If there IS an evil plot to obscure any "truth"...they are the perpetrators of such a scheme.

Thus, at least part of the "truth" appears to have been divulged by Jay13 (a.k.a. "Deep Throat"), but that nugget of "fact" may or may not be valid, and has yet to be 100% substantiated.

The "truth" IS out there....maybe it'll all be revealed by Sunday?
post #67 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkelm
I must admit I'm dumbfounded at how serious this stuff gets.
Greg
'Dumb' is the key word here.
post #68 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:32 PM
Vendor

Getting the "truth" from a company that changes it's story to meet which way the wind blows is a little more involved than reading a statement, that could or could not change again in the future...
post #69 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

jay ratkowski, you made me laugh out loud. Actually, it makes sense to me that a separate factory is possible.

They're all great guitars, but you can bet I'll be watching the FOX network this Sunday night.
Greg

PS- Maybe Jay13 is the smoking guy? (Jay13, please don't take any offense at all of this!)
post #70 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 02:38 PM

Nah...the Cigarette Smoking Man is/was a bad guy. I think Jay13's intentions were entirely benevolent.
post #71 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:27 PM

gkelm - just wanted to make sure you know my "dumb" remark was about the arguement going on here the last 3 years or so, and not directed at you. ;-)

*we return you to our regularly scheduled moronic duel*

EDIT: BTW - Jay13 is definately not Kevan.
post #72 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:41 PM

"Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate"

That is the J-Custom way.

--B
post #73 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduersch
"Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate"

That is the J-Custom way.

--B
Am I looking at jemsite or sunday night TV? hahaha
post #74 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski
gkelm - just wanted to make sure you know my "dumb" remark was about the arguement going on here the last 3 years or so, and not directed at you. ;-)
No problem, Jay...didn't take it that way at all.

Oh, my mistake earlier, I should have stated:

vaijem777, YOU made me laugh out loud (with that X-Files stuff)...great humor. It's good for us all to chuckle at ourselves now and then.

Greg
post #75 of 231 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:05 PM

LOL I'm glad to inject a bit of humor into this whole thing, GKelm. The whole XFiles thing was the best analogy I could think of...and I think it worked out fairly well.

To quote a huge J Custom endorser:

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"- Jimmy Buffet

(I was kidding about the endorser thing)

Tags
abalone inlays , acoustic guitar , angled jack , cavity cover , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom models , custom shop , ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , electric guitar , eric johnson , flame maple , flame maple binding , flamed maple , fret access , fret level , guitar shop , headstock overlay , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , jack socket , maple binding , music store , neck joint , neck pockets , neck thru , neck thru body , paf pro , piezo pickup , piezo pickups , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , production model , rosewood board , signature guitar , stainless steel frets , steel frets , texas prestige , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in