J-Custom RG 8527 vv - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

J-Custom RG 8527 vv

I am thinking about ordering a J-Custom RG 8527 from Ishibashi, but there are some questions I have. Iīd be glad if you guys could help me with those questions:

1.) Where does the 8527 stand qualitywise? Well it is a J-Custom so it is supposed to be of great quality, but how is it compared to some other high-end Ibanez guitars lets say like the RG 3120 which seems to be very well liked? The 8527 is quite a bit cheaper than some "normal" RGs. So whatīs the point?

2.) Iīve read some complaints about the stock pickups. I think I would put in the TZ and AN combo into a 8527. Has anybody made good/bad experiences with a mahagony bodies 7-string Ibanez and the pickups I mentioned?

3.) How can I imagine the neckīs shape? Recently I played a RGT 2020 SOL and this was the best Ibanez neck Iīve ever played! Does the 8527īs neck come close to such a neck? Or is it more like those ultra-thin wizard necks? Or how is it compared to a UV neck?

4.) Whatīs your opinion on the fact that the 8527 comes with a mahagony body? Some people say that mahagony gives you a fatter/warmer sound than other sorts of wood, which is what I want. On the other side, mahagony is said to produce a lees transparent and muddy sound.

5.) I know, it has been discussed quite a lot, but what about the rumors that Ibanez will disontinue all J-Customs? Actually there are only 3 J-Cs available right now. Iīm not into J-Cs for a very long time, but I think there used to be way more, right?

6.) My last question concerns the maple top:
How reliable is Ibanez when it comes to wood patterns? I mean how big is my chance to get a very nice flamed maple top? This issue is propably the one that makes me most scared about ordering the 8527.
Some years ago I ordered a Peavey Wolfgang Standard. At that time (early 1999) the Wolfgang was supposed to have a quilted top, but when I finally got the guitar just had a medium flamed top. As you can imagine, I was not that happy!
I have saved money very hard in the last couple of months and so I donīt want to get a maple top which looks like a window frame, if you know what I mean
Koichi is not very helpful with this issue. Well, I must say there is not much he could do for me, because they donīt have them is stock, Iīd have to wait 2-3 months!
What do you guys suggest that I could do to make it a bit more sure that I will get a nice maple top? Maybe contact Ibanez? I could try this, but would be a one way road I think
Any ideas?

Well, as you can see, lots of question. I hope you can find some time to answer them....

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: J-Custom RG 8527 vv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoph_JEM
1.) Where does the 8527 stand qualitywise? Well it is a J-Custom so it is supposed to be of great quality, but how is it compared to some other high-end Ibanez guitars lets say like the RG 3120 which seems to be very well liked? The 8527 is quite a bit cheaper than some "normal" RGs. So whatīs the point?
Pricing is set by marketplace demands. Quality on par with the 3120 prestige. the J-Customs are the upper limits of what the ibz factory can produce IF enough TLC is given to them. see some of the pinned & other threads regarding their quality.

Quote:
2.) Iīve read some complaints about the stock pickups. I think I would put in the TZ and AN combo into a 8527. Has anybody made good/bad experiences with a mahagony bodies 7-string Ibanez and the pickups I mentioned?
it's a pretty popular combination for mahogany body ibanez axes.

Quote:
3.) How can I imagine the neckīs shape? Recently I played a RGT 2020 SOL and this was the best Ibanez neck Iīve ever played! Does the 8527īs neck come close to such a neck? Or is it more like those ultra-thin wizard necks? Or how is it compared to a UV neck?
I have no info on the neck shape or profile.

Quote:
4.) Whatīs your opinion on the fact that the 8527 comes with a mahagony body? Some people say that mahagony gives you a fatter/warmer sound than other sorts of wood, which is what I want. On the other side, mahagony is said to produce a lees transparent and muddy sound.
Mahagony would be my first choice. Fatter/warmer, while just words is not a bad description. Your mileage (and ear for tone) will vary.

Quote:
5.) I know, it has been discussed quite a lot, but what about the rumors that Ibanez will disontinue all J-Customs? Actually there are only 3 J-Cs available right now. Iīm not into J-Cs for a very long time, but I think there used to be way more, right?
Ibanez has obviously scaled back J-C production but from what i've heard they will release them to the japanese market regularly since they sell OK by creating short runs and new models quite often.

Quote:
6.) My last question concerns the maple top: How reliable is Ibanez when it comes to wood patterns? I mean how big is my chance to get a very nice flamed maple top? This issue is propably the one that makes me most scared about ordering the 8527.

What do you guys suggest that I could do to make it a bit more sure that I will get a nice maple top? Maybe contact Ibanez?
This is the trickiest issue, cause ibanez tops are pretty lame overall. see the "driftwood" j-custom thread for more discussion. These guitars are not WYSIWYG. Short of buying a stocked guitar, you'd have to ensure the ability to return the axe if it's look does not meet your needs. Return shipping to JPN would be difficult. Probably yet another reason the J-Cs primary market is local (japan). If you are expecting to see the EXACT catalog pic, you'll be disappointed. Typically the catalog/web pics are the best of the best of a run made thus far. They're not stupid - they photograph the nicest pieces - and that is not to say other pieces are not nice. Good luck... glen
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:49 PM
Vendor

Personally I'd never buy a flametop I can't see a pic of first, but, some runs in the past were very consistent. All of the Art's I've seen had really sweet tops, so did all the RG7CT's [of which I happen to have a sweet one for sale ] On the other hand there were plenty that preordered RGT's when they were first announced, and 2 of them got steller tops, the other 8 got "very nice" to "somebody should have painted that one a solid color"
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 12:37 AM

I got my RG8527-DBK from Ishibashi right before they changed over to the edge pro trem (also right before Ibanez discontinued the DBK finish). The neck profile is exactly the same as the RG7CT; about the same as a 7620, maybe a bit thicker feeling, then again that could just be because the volute is influencing my observation.

Although I have not seen a bad 8527 (they seem to be as consistent as the RG-7CT's) you never know what you are going to get if you do not get to see it first. My advice would be to ask Koichi if any of his stores have any 8527's in stock; that is how I have always bought guitars from Ishibashi, if he does ask him to send you some pics (he has always been really good about getting pictures). If they do not have any in stock yet you might want to wait until they get some more in stock at their stores, or you could pick up an RG7CT from Rich Harris.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Rich sent me some pics of the RG7CT he has (thanks btw!). Looks really nice! The price is good, but Iīd have to add taxes and customs (about 20%), so the guitar would get a bit more expensive.
Some weeks ago Koichi told me that they donīt have any in stock. Iīd first have to order the guitar and then Ishibashi will order the guitar from Ibanez. So I donīt think Ishi will get some 8527s i stock, but I will ask Koichi again.
Btw, Koichi also told me that there will be a huge exhibition in Japan this October. Maybe Ibanez will throw some new guitars into the market!?

Maybe I have luck and Ishi has some 8527s in stock. But do you really think that Koichi will make pics and send them to me? I donīt think so. He replies fast, but my impression is that he is not as exerted as you could expect...

Soloist, when you ordered your 8527 from Ishi, did you get a better price than the one they had on their homepage? I got an offer which actually was not very good. And what also sucks is that Koichi raises the price for the same guitar about 5000 or 6000 Yen within just a few weeks! Was it like that too when you ordered from Ishi?
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:37 PM

I am surprised that you got that impression from Koichi. He has provided me pictures of every guitar that I have ever purchased from him (a couple of times he has sent me detailed pictures without me even asking), though you must understand every guitar that I have purchased from him was located at one of thier stores. That is odd that you would have got a bad price, I paid the same price as the webshop indicated, 170,000 yen (including the shipping; about $1390USD at the time), his price should not be any different than the price on the webshop page, if it is ask him about it.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 12:52 AM

New to here....
some pics of my RG8527VV
http://www.ocit.edu.tw/~im917175/
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 10:14 AM

Welcome Zazanroger!

Great collection

I've just ordered a TZ7 and AN7 for my RG2027, in about 5 weeks I can give you an excellent hands-on report (although the RG2027 is solid mahogany)

If the RG8527 is lower priced than other RG's I think he still might have a lo-pro7.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazanroger
New to here....
some pics of my RG8527VV
http://www.ocit.edu.tw/~im917175/
Nice gear, mate! When I was in Tokyo last summer, that is the 8570 I was looking for, but couldn't find. Did you buy that in the Euro market?
Greg
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 01:58 PM

PGM800
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 07:57 PM

Re: J-Custom RG 8527 vv

Quote:
depends what you're looking for...
I myself dont like how the stock bridge pickup sounds in my 2027, it doesnt really sound like a seven string to me. Say I strum a B5, well I'll have something that sounds fat and somewhat low, but the low B string itself doesnt jump off enough... you dont hear it clearly enough. When playing single notes, it sounds too damn loose, gah! I wont put a Tone Zone in mine, no damn way, I want something brighter!!
But the 8527 has a little maple top, so it might sound better than my 2027 with the same pickups.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi again! First of all, thanks for all your quick help :P

@ Soloist: First I must say that my former words about Koichi sound worse than I wanted to! In fact Koichi made me a special offer, because I am student. The first offer was 164250 Yen instead of 175500 (shipping included). After a few weeks it was 170000 Yen instead of 175500, so I still should not complain! I just wanna say that I should have used some more polite words, because Koichi usually is helpful and friendly.

I also asked him if they now have any RG 8527 in stock and he told me that they still donīt have one, and even Ibanez themselves donīt have one right now! To me this sounds a bit like Ibanaez plans to discontinue the RG 8527. what do you think?

@zazanroger: Hi and welcome! Believe me, if Koichi would send me a pic of a RG 8527, I wouldnīt hesitate one further second! Your guitar looks very very nice and is one of the sweetest maple tops Iīve ever seen! Where did you get it from? Will you sell it?

Anders_destinum, please let me know how the now pickups sound!I also think that sam669īs thought that the TZ might be not bright enough might be right. Mahagony and such a bassy pickup might be a little too much!? But what other possibities are there? DiMarzio says that the TZ7 has a ceramic magnet. Might this have the effect to get a brighter sound?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 09:30 PM

Hello guys.......

to gkelm:No.....my guitar bought from Japan and Taiwan,two JCRGs and RG1280 bought from Japan and Jem,PGMs bought at local music store......

to Kim Stenberg:ya.....It's 2001's PGM800, I remember that 800 stop production from 97, why can I get 2001's PGM800???, I don't know....
to Christoph_JEM:Hello I'm from Taiwan, I think I will not sell it even though the PGM10th already gone, you are right,I think Ibanez sounds like plan to discontinue RG8527 because I went to Tokyo last month,I only seen a all New 2003's RG8527vv,ya...I visit almost every music stores around tokyo just found one!!!!! .....anyway I bought mine used from ishibashi in tokyo...

sorry for my poor english......
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Vendor

Man you guys don't pay attention!

The factory can't keep up with the demand this year, you have 52 distributors having to fully restock on an entirely new model line. Where they could stock 1998 RG550's once and sell them for 5 years, now it's an entirely new model and have to be stocked again. Multiply the problem times 52. Incoming to the US has been slow and sparce but I'm sure they're slowly catching up, hopefully!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

So Rich, you donīt think this is a sign that they might discontinue the RG 8527?

Tags
bridge pickup , clean tone , edge pro trem , flamed maple , fret markers , higher strings , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , les paul , les pauls , local music store , mahogany body , music store , neck finish , neck shape , peavey wolfgang , peavey wolfgang standard , pod pro , thin wizard neck , thin wizard necks , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode