J-Custom RG1680 Help !! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

J-Custom RG1680 Help !!

Hey Lads.

Im new to the J-Custom scene and i need some help.

Im looking at an RG1680 and the guy wants €1600 for it. Is that a good or a bad price ?? Also if anyone has this guitar could you give me your toughts on it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM

Re: J-Custom RG1680 Help !!

Nice guitar. That's a 1999 model J Custom. No doubting that it is a great guitar and made in limited numbers too. I think his asking price is a little high, I've seen those sell a bit cheaper than that.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 AM

Reviews: 25

A J Custom similar to the one your after just sold on ebay for $700 in Australia... thats crazy cheap... something is seriously wrong with the market for ibanez J customs at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....torefresh=true
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
Nice guitar. That's a 1999 model J Custom. No doubting that it is a great guitar and made in limited numbers too. I think his asking price is a little high, I've seen those sell a bit cheaper than that.
Cheers for the reply man ! Really appreciate it
What would be a reasonable price for one ?? The one im looking at is mint! Will i send you on the link ??

Im actually gonna trade him my Prs sc245 for it but if its not worth 1600 second hand i dont think i will.. the Prs is 2750 new !

Thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
A J Custom similar to the one your after just sold on ebay for $700 in Australia... thats crazy cheap... something is seriously wrong with the market for ibanez J customs at the moment.
WoW thats crazy
What would you say the guitar is worth ?? Im thinking about trading my Prs Sc245 for it.. but thats 2750 brand new !

Thanks man
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 07:32 AM

Well a brand new J Custom is easily the same price as your guitar. But a used one, can go anywhere between 1k to 2 k, just depends on how mint it really is..

as far as guitars go, the J Customs are amazing, just because they arnt getting the money they are worth doesn't mean your not getting your money worth if you pay more.

I got one that im trying to sell and its not easy right now, the world economy is in the crapper..
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
Well a brand new J Custom is easily the same price as your guitar. But a used one, can go anywhere between 1k to 2 k, just depends on how mint it really is..

as far as guitars go, the J Customs are amazing, just because they arnt getting the money they are worth doesn't mean your not getting your money worth if you pay more.

I got one that im trying to sell and its not easy right now, the world economy is in the crapper..
Cheers for the info man
Heres a link to the exact guitar.. id appreciate your opinion..
Thanks !

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/ib...om-1680/789382
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM

That is a beautiful guitar that looks to be in excellent shape.

I'd take one of those over a PRS any day of the week and I've had several PRS guitars over the years. I keep either selling them or trading them. I currently have 3 Ibanez J Customs and the new Apex 100 for good reason......because they are fantastic instruments!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryOLeary View Post
Cheers for the info man
Heres a link to the exact guitar.. id appreciate your opinion..
Thanks !

http://www.adverts.ie/guitar-bass/ib...om-1680/789382
I sent you a PM
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Cheers for the reply man ! Really appreciate it
What would be a reasonable price for one ?? The one im looking at is mint! Will i send you on the link ??

Im actually gonna trade him my Prs sc245 for it but if its not worth 1600 second hand i dont think i will.. the Prs is 2750 new !

Thanks
She's very clean Gary it must be said. Bit of tarnishing/pitting to the bridge but that's no biggie. Definitely a great guitar and quite possibly the only example of it's kind in Ireland which is pretty cool. The right guy will prob pay EUR1200-1400 for that. Bear in mind that the market is slow at the minute and will pick up at some point. J Customs are currently changing hands in UK for between £900 (which is silly money) and £1600. It all depends on model/condition as well. Would I do the trade?? Yes but I'm biased but no doubting you'll be hard to pushed to get a better Ibanez.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
She's very clean Gary it must be said. Bit of tarnishing/pitting to the bridge but that's no biggie. Definitely a great guitar and quite possibly the only example of it's kind in Ireland which is pretty cool. The right guy will prob pay EUR1200-1400 for that. Bear in mind that the market is slow at the minute and will pick up at some point. J Customs are currently changing hands in UK for between £900 (which is silly money) and £1600. It all depends on model/condition as well. Would I do the trade?? Yes but I'm biased but no doubting you'll be hard to pushed to get a better Ibanez.
Thanks for the info man
Just one more thing, You say they go for between 900-1600 depending on the model. Is the rg1680 a high end, low end or mid range j-custom ?? And how much would she of cost brand new ??
Sorry for all the questions haha
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
That is a beautiful guitar that looks to be in excellent shape.

I'd take one of those over a PRS any day of the week and I've had several PRS guitars over the years. I keep either selling them or trading them. I currently have 3 Ibanez J Customs and the new Apex 100 for good reason......because they are fantastic instruments!
Cheers for the info man
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info man
Just one more thing, You say they go for between 900-1600 depending on the model. Is the rg1680 a high end, low end or mid range j-custom ?? And how much would she of cost brand new ??
Sorry for all the questions haha
There's no such thing as a low end J Custom, some are more pricey depending on spec and rarity. You'll pay big money for a new one today and considering you'll have to import it the considerable customs duty and shipping makes it even more expensive. They are arguably the highest end Ibanez rock guitars out there today along with the Jems but they are much rarer. J Customs are made by only the top luthiers that Ibanez have so you'll be getting a top quality guitar for sure. That model you are looking at would have been for the Japanese market only in 1999, list price was circa 1300 euro 12 years ago, fire import duty and shipping from Japan on top of that and bring it into todays money and his asking price seems all the more reasonable. You can get them cheaper but there aren't many of them in Ireland to pick and choose from.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM

I bought this exact one yesterday.

It hadn't been played much over the last two years, so it was in need of some attention.
T'was sweet once I set it up for my tastes.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
I bought this exact one yesterday.

It hadn't been played much over the last two years, so it was in need of some attention.
T'was sweet once I set it up for my tastes.
Great guitar. Would love to see pics of your new J Custom.

Tags
1680 , jcustom , prestige , rg1680

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode