J.Custom RG20146 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

J.Custom RG20146

Just bought this guitar and although it's a great guitar (love the wenge neck and fretboard), the black opal finish around the edges doesn't seem like J.Custom quality. Looks like a kid painting outside the lines. For those who have this guitar, do you have the same problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Vendor

Re: J.Custom RG20146

That should be a Second.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

There would be an S for second marked on the back of headstock?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Vendor

There won't be but there should be.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Maybe an "S" for Shame in the neck pocket ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 07:52 PM

That stinks! Such a beautiful guitar....regardless....if it plays well and sounds great then really, nothing to worry about other than if you are OCD about these things.

Either way, I had a black onyx J custom that had a couple of flaws in the finish and I think it barely passed their inspection. It was best sounding of the few that I had. My latest is amazing and the new one I have on the way was hand picked by a good friend of mine over there and he said it killer!

Sometimes a few slip through the cracks. I've seen much worse from Gibson......
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 AM

That's a damn shame, and to be honest these shouldn't be falling past the quality control net - they're J Customs! They haven't made many of the 20146 run. Still, better for it to have that kind of a defect rather than a really screwed up neck alignment or something like that (which I hear has happened on J-Custom lines too).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
That stinks! Such a beautiful guitar....regardless....if it plays well and sounds great then really, nothing to worry about other than if you are OCD about these things.
Agreed! J Custom is my dream guitar but I doubt I will ever be able to afford one so I'd be more than happy to have one even if the paint went outside the lines a bit. The audience won't notice either
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo72 View Post
Just bought this guitar and although it's a great guitar (love the wenge neck and fretboard), the black opal finish around the edges doesn't seem like J.Custom quality. Looks like a kid painting outside the lines. For those who have this guitar, do you have the same problem?

Wow that's really bad, surprised that would pass through on an indo Ibanez let alone a J Custom. Maybe they sent you a second by accident?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 AM

I certainly wouldn't tolerate that in any guitar I would buy, let alone a J-Custom that I expect to deliver above standard quality.

Why made you decide to buy it in the first place?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode