J-Custom RG21B! [Contest #3 Winner] - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Smile J-Custom RG21B! [Contest #3 Winner]

Yay, it's here! But first, back a few weeks.

I decided to enter the Jemsite competition mostly because I had some cash laying on my PayPal account, and thought that a 1/25 chance is just good enough to give it a shot. During the couple of weeks of waiting before the winner was decided, I occasionally visited ibanezrules.com and dreamed, thinking I wouldn't win anyway. Now, to be sure, Jems are fine guitars and I would very much like to own one, but over that time I grew more fond of the J-Customs. Jems were just a bit too "Vai" for me (even though he's probably my favourite guitarist), and the J-Customs seemed just a bit more special. Yeah, they're just made to specifications of some Japanese guy and not Steve's, but nonetheless.

I never thought I'd actually win, but once I did, I already pretty much had my sights on the JCRG21B. First of all, I really liked the looks - those natural finishes just do it for me, plus I've grown a bit tired of all the flames and quilts (again, nice looking and everything, but not that much up my alley). It was a neck-through, which I like. The woods were pretty much to my preferences. And it was special - simply rare, and the MIDI and especially the sound cavity make it pretty unique among all Ibanezes. A 7-string fixed bridge would have been nice, and the pickups could have been hotter, but I guess I'll have to leave those for a possible future E-Custom.

Anyway, after a while of bugging Rich with my questions, the guitar was shipped last Friday, and it arrived here in Finland today - Wednesday. Quick! I picked it up at customs, happily payed the taxes, and after work finally got my mitts on it. Anyhoo, enough rambling, pictures!

Here it is. Even the cardboard in which the case was wrapped in was close to immaculate. The thing was in even in perfect tune when I first tried it. All the fuss about that "Rich Harris" setup is definitely not in vain - I didn't think I'd not have to need to tweak the setup on a new guitar, but it'd almost be a crime to mess with this one.

The body is a satin sort of finish, which I've already managed to scratch while playing and anchoring my right hand beneath the pickups. Oh well, there'll probably be more coming anyway...

The headstock is glossy, but there's really no difference lookswise. Also, it's a J-Custom!

Looking a bit disproportionate here.

The fretboard is a nice ebony, blank, which I like. The inlay is a bit confusing, I can't figure out if it's a butterfly or two birds with conjoined beaks and get all dizzy when looking at it.

Some fretwork detail. You can't really discern it from the pictures, but this is by far the nicest finished Ibanez I've seen. Probably the nicest playing as well (although at least partial credit from that has to go to Rich).

Another headstock shot. I just liked this one.

(apparently I can't post more than 7 pictures per post, so to be continued...)

Last edited by esmo; 09-06-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: J-Custom RG21B! [Contest #3 Winner]

The controls are recessed. BTW - anyone have an idea what the 3-position switch close to the bottom does? It's something to do with the magnetic pickups, coil splitting maybe? Haven't really played with the sounds enough yet to say.

The sound cavity is surprisingly large, it goes pretty much all the way up to the top edge of the body. The guitar is obviously more resonant than a regular plank, but I can't say yet what it actually does to the sound. The MIDI is a thing I have to try at some point, though I really have no experience with guitar synth stuff.

Yeah, it's a neck through. The back of the neck isn't satiny like the body, but not as thickly glossed as most neck throughs, or at least I think so. I sort of want to sand the neck, but it feels a bit scary to do it to a neck-through, for some reason.

That obligatory shot.

Old style Lo-Pro. I guess I didn't mention that this is a 2001 model, but NOS and mint.

Thanks Jemsite for pimping my guitar collection!

Had to snap off one quick family shot too. That's my 2027XVV for those not in the know.

That's enough pictures for now. I'm really happy with my choice of guitar, so thanks to everyone who participated and partially funded my new baby, the organizers and ibanezrules.com! Woo!

Last edited by esmo; 09-06-2006 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:22 PM

Re: J-Custom RG21B! [Contest #3 Winner]

AWESOME!!! congrats!
i saw one of these in Orlando, FL for like 3k!
are you getting a synth now? i want one of these or the neckthru JC21(?) and to find a GR33 to go along with it!
great pics too! thanks for sharing you lucky bas***!!!!
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Looks fantastic and I'm sure it plays likewise. Congrats.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:35 PM

Nice choice...... congrats!
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: J-Custom RG21B! [Contest #3 Winner]

NIce score! I have the 21A.It doesn't have the sound holes and has a black onyx top. I almost won one of those on the bay for $1,500.00.The toggle switch is for the synth part of the guitar. One position gives you just guitar, one gives a mix of guitar & synth, and the other gives you all synth.......very cool! Now score a synth unit like a Roland GR33 and have fun
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Amazing!!!!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:15 PM

OMFG

That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice

My god, that thing is beautiful!!!

Congratz man!

ps. nice pics you made there!
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:20 PM

I never saw one of those before. It looks awesome dude! If you ever decide to sell it PLEASEEE tel me first
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Vendor

That thing was a lot of work, but end results are always worth the effort

It had a lot of holow body tone in the mix, it was very unique to anything Ibanez I've played. And you KNOW the price was right!

Congrats!
Rich is online  
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Man, those are some great pics. What kind of camera is that you are using?
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Dude....Look out for me, I live in sweden....I can take a trip to Finland and kill you and take those guitars from you !

........Haha, just kidding...Congratz,That's a Real beauty and the 7 to
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:07 PM

Congrats on you 'free' guitar! Real nice score - i saw one of those in person at a local Sam Ash a couple of years ago.

Great pics too! My guess is that the little switch has something to do wtih the Midi, unless that's a double edge bridge on there...but i'd think you'd have known that having the 2027x.

Kudos, of course, to Mr. Harris for delivering this guitar to Finland in under 3 weeks!

~Kenny
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 PM

Congrats!!! SWEET guitar.

Regards

André

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Vendor

Payment to shipment, 4 days.
Shipping time, 5 days by Express Mail [probably as fast as postal Fedex would have been!!]

Rich is online  

Tags
acoustic amp , alternate tuning , alternate tunings , beautiful guitar , coil split , coil splitting , double edge bridge , edge bridge , fixed bridge , guitar collection , magnetic pickups , paf pro , paf pros , piezo system , sam ash , string fixed bridge , toggle switch , tube combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode