J-custom RG8470 neck binding - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

J-custom RG8470 neck binding

Hi Guys,

is the finishing on the 8470 neck binding is very thin? does that mean the wood will be left bare naked after the finishing has wear off?

was wondering why they would want to use this method on such a high end ibanez. doesnt it makes the guitar more vulnerable? does it improve the playability for doing so?

is there anyway to protect it other than refinishing it?

Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Re: J-custom RG8470 neck binding

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it's the same as on my 8670. I haven't had any problems with it wearing off yet.

As an aside, I find that my 8670's neck is much more sensitive to temperature/humidity changes than my Jems' necks. During the winter months my fret ends actually overhang the binding to the point I want new frets installed.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 AM

What is your comment based upon, personal experience or is it just an assumption? I haven't had thus far any reason to think the neck binding may give me any trouble. I don't actually think I have a way to assert whether it is thinner (or else) than any other of my guitars that have neck binding. So I'm a bit puzzled as to understand what the reason for your question is.

On the other hand, what BPD111 is describing does sound more like an issue. But not so much related to the biding though. Maine -> plenty humid in the summer and very cold in the winter. Good reasons to have your guitars in a humidity and temperature controlled environment.

Gus.

Last edited by Gusfmm; 07-10-2007 at 01:45 PM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

my concern is base on this thread actually

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65065

the 2nd post by Gaz.

from what he said, it seems that the binding seems vulnerable. As i just got my j-custom, thus would like to find out more whether the finishing on the binding is really that thin.

thats why i need to get some feedback from you guys if you face any problem with the binding.

if its true, then i would like to give it some extra protection
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Vendor

The finish only covers up to the fret line. The exposed maple will stain darker with play.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

other than the exposed maple getting darker, will there be any other problems/harmful effects on the neck/fretboard?

Last edited by PinkSpId3r; 07-10-2007 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
GAZ

I have an RG8570 which has only slight wear of the finish on the maple binding (mainly on the high E side) It doesn't show that much so isn't a major concern. It's like the cosmo finish wearing quickly (seems worst on my older models ??), irritating and should be addressed by Ibanez asap. In fact the whole neck of my 8570 almost feels like bare wood with no finish on it at all, so is obviously very thin all over.Good for tone bad for cosmetics ! Look at all the old maple fretboard Strats where the finish has worn through, unsightly but that's all. But then that took 10 -20 years probably ! I wonder if the 'velvet touch' finish is worse for this too ? If it bothers you that much and you can live with a gorgeous striped ebony headstock go for the RG8270 instead !! I love mine to bits !!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

well the cosmetic of binding doesnt bother me. im just concern what will happen to the neck after the thin finishing has wear off.

so you guys actually do not experience any problem with the neck other than dirty looks on the maple binding?

will the bare wood binding corrode or any nasty thing happen to it after the finishing has worn off?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

will french polish actually helps?

Tags
maple binding , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck binding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode