J Custom RG8570Z Neck Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

J Custom RG8570Z Neck Question

Hey everyone!

I just got a used J Custom RG8570Z (2010) and I absolutely love it but one sort of odd thing is the neck between the 15th-24th fret feels a bit rough and unfinished, quite noticabelyu compared to the rest of the neck. Is this on purpose for grip or something or has the finish worn off? If so is it a problem?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: J Custom RG8570Z Neck Question

and as a J Custom youd think the neck finish would be top notch? Also heres the listing of where I got it from, now Im kind of worried it might be a fake? It all looks legit though. THe buyer said he received the guitar straight from Japan without a case , certificate, Ibanez booklet though too which is odd.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/5350749-2...black-dimarzio
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Another "round fret" moronically pedantic listing. Ugh. Priced high... check... meh trem... check... very rough shape for a JC.... yup! But it has ROUND FRETS!!!! Anyways... it's real and no certificate would be expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opendome View Post
and as a J Custom youd think the neck finish would be top notch?
I wouldn't. But in fairness wood absorbs finish non-uniformly.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:56 PM
Vendor

A-holes really know how to make somebody happy they bought a great guitar for a good price......

From the pictures the neck finish looks fine, unless you have a close up? Otherwise, are you sure you're not feeling the grain in the walnut fillets? That's usually what everybody feels and thinks is something more complicated.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Another "round fret" moronically pedantic listing. Ugh. Priced high... check... meh trem... check... very rough shape for a JC.... yup! But it has ROUND FRETS!!!! Anyways... it's real and no certificate would be expected.

I wouldn't. But in fairness wood absorbs finish non-uniformly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A-holes really know how to make somebody happy they bought a great guitar for a good price......

From the pictures the neck finish looks fine, unless you have a close up? Otherwise, are you sure you're not feeling the grain in the walnut fillets? That's usually what everybody feels and thinks is something more complicated.
Hello!

I got it for $1400 USD is that still too high do you think? Most of the neck feels great but right on the heel of the neck it feels rough almost like theres no finish on it at all, should I get some 0000 steel wool at give it a rub? Its the maple itself. Im just worried about moisture and what not on the part of the neck that feels unfinished haha.

Also Im worried that he might of adjusted the action wit the studs locked, if it was forced would that be a problem and could it damage something? I tried putting a 2mm and a 1.5mm allen key into the studs but I dont feel them grab anything but when I tried to adjust the stud it wouldn't budge (as soon as I felt some good resistance I stopped as to not force it) with the same amount of force on my other RGs so I thjink the locks are still in there?

Thanks!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Vendor

The price is fine and in line with condition.

You will not unlock the sets [2mm] without backing the stud off first [3mm]. Just as after it's adjusted you want to tighten the stud down on the sets to take all the slop out of the threads.

if you're sure it's bare maple then 0000 will smooth it out.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opendome View Post
Hello! I got it for $1400 USD is that still too high do you think? Thanks!
$1400 much better.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! I tried using my 2mm key and it doesnt feel like its connecting with/fitting in anything in the stud. When I raise the post with the 3mm theres an initial cracking/popping sound, like its coming out of or off the lock and then it moves freely like a regular non lucking stud. With it loosen off I tried using the 2mm key and still it didn't feel like it was going into/connecting with anything down there. When I lower the bridge to the same position it makes the same noise like its re engaging but then theres a lot of resistance to lower it any further. I don't want to break anything so I just stopped there. Is there some special trick?

Thanks!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Vendor

Finding the hole is a bit of trouble for many virgins. The stud sets may or may not be installed. Measure how far in the wrench goes, it it's 25mm or more you have no set screws installed.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm the wrench goes it farther than that, the owner said the set screws are still in there. I can also feel the bridge hit something when it sort of makes a crack sound. I was also wondering does the set screw thread into the stud/bridge? Should I force the bridge down into the set screw?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Vendor

Apologies, the stud is 31mm, the set screw is 10mm. It could go 25+ and still have sets, not much more though. The only way to be positive is the get the allen seated in the set and turn it until it will not turn, then you know the allen is in the set.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Apologies, the stud is 31mm, the set screw is 10mm. It could go 25+ and still have sets, not much more though. The only way to be positive is the get the allen seated in the set and turn it until it will not turn, then you know the allen is in the set.
No worries! Is the best way to back off the stud and then fish around in it for the set screw with a 2mm wrench?

Thanks!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:41 PM
Vendor

The best way is to do it locked, then you only turn it one way to know you're engaged. If it won't screw down, you're engaged.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies guys! Its helped a lot! I always get paranoid about buying a used guitar and what has/hasn't been done with it. I noticed that if I put the 2mm in and just keep turning it does go up/down but I dont really feel it engage or anything. How exactly does the locking stud work? Do I screw it down, adjust the action and then raise it up again until it stops to lock it?

Thanks!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Im having a hell of a time trying to figure this out. Do the studs lock when the screw is tightened or loosened? Do I back off the main posts before adjusting the lock? When I try to adjust it I feel some pressure and a sort of click?

Tags
j custom rg8570z neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode