J-Custom / S-Series JCS21 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

J-Custom / S-Series JCS21

I wonder whether anyone around here can help ?

A couple of weeks ago I purchased an Ibanez JCS21, advertised as being 'No. 1 of 12'. The guitar's serial number is 15112, and it also came with a 'dog-tag' saying 'JCS21/0001'. The guitar is in immaculate condition, and without even plugging it in, its natural resonance makes it almost sing.

I've done some hunting around on the internet, and I can find precious little about these guitars. The only concrete information I have unearthed is that this model was displayed at NAMM in 2001, where it was listed as 'S-Series' and yet on the headstock it says 'J-Custom'. Looks-wise, it's probably an acquired taste, as it has what appears to be a khaki-fabric finish on the top, over a mahogany body and thru-neck.

My big question is just how rare is it ? Is it truly one of only twelve, or have I paid a relatively high price for a beautiful guitar, that might be one of hundreds. I saw another thread on here concerning a JCS21 from around six years ago, but nothing since. I'd be most grateful if anyone can give me feedback concerning the guitar, how many were made and details on the serial number which isn't recognised through the 'Guitar Dater Project' site.

Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1B.jpg (57.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Adipsia; 06-27-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 06:21 AM

Re: J-Custom / S-Series JCS21

S-J Customs have always been pretty rare.

This one is really not common, so 12 is credible
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

That's really helpful Scanlan, thank you. Could you take a stab at a retail price range ? I know it's difficult...
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:04 AM

Was this the one on ebay for something like 2350??
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM

It probably is 1 of 12. That very guitar sold in an auction 2 weeks
ago in the UK for 500.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

That's the one. I actually found it listed on an auction website - after I'd purchased it - however it never sold. How do you know someone picked it up for 500 ?

It sounds like he got a slightly better deal than I did, although I've since found a couple more that have come up around the $2600 to $3000 mark, which makes me feel a bit better !
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:07 AM

Lot number 88:

http://gardinerhoulgate.co.uk/Catalo...4/page002.html

Looks like those guys who had it on ebay got it at auction for 500 then stuck it up at
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Wow, they got a good deal. I've since found pictures of this guitar going through Ibanez Rocks twice - in 2006 and 2007 - however there was significantly more surface wear on it then than I'm seeing on it now.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't read too much into the price it went for.
A very obscure guitar in a very low key auction is probably
never gonna command true market value. I've a couple of
S Series J Customs that I paid a good deal of money for.
If I could get to bid on those guys upcoming auctions
there's a guitar or two there I'd be very interested in.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that, it makes me feel a little better ! I'm not going to beat up on someone who saw an absolute bargain and got a good deal from it. My gut feel is that at 2,295, I'm probably around 200-300 over what I would term 'market-value'... however if there's only 12 of the suckers in the entire world, then who's ever going to be able to assess a reasonable market-value.

The main thing is that I have a beautiful, class, musical instrument that plays and sounds like a dream... and at least you've helped me to ascertain that there probably are only 12 of them, which was far and away my biggest concern. What would have been a bummer for me would have been if I'd paid the price I have and there were 5,000 of them.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Yeah it's an exquisite guitar and only 12 made so ultra rare. You'll probably never
meet another person who owns one. Those guys got lucky and were probably the only ones that knew about it. If you decide to take the plunge on other rare J Customs it's advisable to post here about it.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Vendor

As I already told you, I'd seriously doubt any claim of 12. Probably a HUSA import number, not counting Chesbro imports, and were available in several other markets around the world.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Ibanez is known to seriously understate their production numbers to make their guitars seem more rare. When it comes to any Ibanez, buy on the quality of the instrument, not on the suspected rarity, and you will always come out on top.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDean View Post
Ibanez is known to seriously understate their production numbers to make their guitars seem more rare. When it comes to any Ibanez, buy on the quality of the instrument, not on the suspected rarity, and you will always come out on top.
How often do you see numbers that actually comes from Ibanez, I mean that can be verified as authentic Ibanez numbers? Extremely rare, I would say.
People on Internet are seriously understating Ibanez production numbers (mostly based on air), Ibanez knows exactly how many was made.

I think thinking like your last one would be healthy when buying any guitar.

/Magnus
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 AM

12 is not sure, but what's sure is that it 's not over one hundred... which is pretty rare anyway.

I've got the same question for my SC3120NT : I've only seen 3 other one on evilbay... at various prices going from 900 euros to 5400 $....

I don't really care how many have been made, it's just a great instrument in my opinion.

I think it's ths same for your JCS21

Tags
j-custom 2001 , jcs21 , s-series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode