J-Custom sighting in Orlando - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

J-Custom sighting in Orlando

i recently sold a couple of my beloved axes and am shopping for my next one to replace them. i made a trip to Orlando, FL and visited Downtown Disney where the Guitar Gallery is located (George's Music) to try out some new guitars. i was fortunate enough to try a few J-Customs. they had an 8670 with gold hardware and a transparent black quilt top, a fabric top S-Custom series ($2999), a neck-thru H/S/H J-Custom w/ a GK pup installed w/ a transparent black quilt top (so nice, so very, very nice) and also pair of semi-hollow piezo and GK equiped neck-thru J-Customs on the wall as well (they had them tagged as Custom 1 models?). they had sound hole slots in the mid pup position. their prices were insane.
i fell in love w/ the neck-thru GK model (it was marked as a Custom 2 ?). the neck was like a very thin wizard neck that felt like butter. i'd like to know what model it is - but the sales staff was completely clueless to the J-custom line - which i found very sad. they thought they were custom shop guitars built BEFORE the custom shop closed in the US (models had Edge pro trems).
some of the other guitars they had on the wall were a Jem7VSBL ('02 w/ lots of player wear - they said it was NEW but obviously didn't know how to read the serial #'s)- it had a Lo Pro, protective plastic peeled off pickguard and minor corrosion on pup screws and trem w/o case for $2099!), PGM 301 in white w/ blk painted f-holes (i think it was $1899?), RGT3120 (neck is very FAT - not thin at all - eeeew - too bad as it was very beautiful - $1899 w/o case), JS Y2K ($4999), EP7 acoustic ($1099 w/o case) and a lot of other one-of guitars from other companies (Gibson, Fender, PRS, Martin, ect).
i loved the quilted black J-custom neck-thru w/ the GK ($2999!!) and the VSBL. the tone in the RGT was AWESOME (used a Fender Deville for demoing) but the neck was very beefy. that was the first VSBL i had seen in person and people weren't kidding about pics not doing the blue sparkle justice - i fell for that model - HARD! i'll be on the prowl for my own VSBL over the next few months. awesome tone and dynamically versatile with a nice neck feel. i'll add a mirrored blue pickguard and possibly alter pup colors. definitely the guitar for the $ and the blue looked amazing!
sorry i didn't get pics - forgot my camera. i'd like to know what model the black J-Custom is - she was my fav but a little pricey. i'll get the VSBL this year and possibly keep a look out for that J-Custom for my next purchase.
the staff was nice and were very happy to let me play the guitars but were the poorest salesman - "do you want me to wrap up the Jem?" was all i got from him. he didn't know anything about the model, features or how ridiculous their pricing was. the "new" VSBL was in players condition and double the market value for the condition or $400 more than a new one in mint. it's sad that i can import a J-Custom for more than $1000 less than what they were asking. i was just glad to finally get to try out some of Ibanez's best guitars. i was floating the whole day afterwards from the experience. well worth the trip.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 06:57 PM

Re: J-Custom sighting in Orlando

Sounds like an RG-21A:

Ebony board?
Wing inlay at the 12th?

The only thing is that the 21A was an H H configuration.

Rich has pics in his used/sold section.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 07:39 PM

I'm not sure about the model, but those prices seem sky high. You could import a J-Custom for alot less from Japan. The 8670 can be had for around $1700US + shipping. The 8520 can be had for $1550US + shipping. Where are they coming up with $2999?!? That sounds like the list price.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

i thought they had list price on those models myself - NOT! that store is one of the highest traffic guitar stores in the US so they tag the guitars at a VERY inflated price and usually get what they are asking from those who have the dollars and not the "sense".
the fretboard is ebony w/ the wing inlay - she was the sweetest one there IMHO. i would like it more if it had only H/H config. the mid pup just gets in the way and drops the overall output too much to be useful for me.i would wait on buying a VSBL if i could find this J-Custom model at a more reasonable price ($1600-$1800), especially if i could find it in "black onyx", the new finish from Ibanez. she was sooo sweet to play! i would almost prefer side dot inlays on the fretboard over the wing thing - but i can get used to using only the side dots if they are visible enough on a dark stage.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredi-Knight
I'm not sure about the model, but those prices seem sky high. You could import a J-Custom for alot less from Japan. The 8670 can be had for around $1700US + shipping. The 8520 can be had for $1550US + shipping. Where are they coming up with $2999?!? That sounds like the list price.
The guitar in question is not a production JC like the 8520, etc.

This was likely one of 12 made, Roland GK, rear mounted pups, ebony board, sweet quilt top.

Not that I think $2999 is a fair price, but then again it's only the third time I've seen or heard of one of these - and the only one I've heard of with a middle pup. From what I understand, it's been there for quite a while now and they don't seem to be in any hurry to sell it, and nobody's in a hurry to buy it either!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

i just saw one at auction - missed it for myself but i think a jemsiter bought it. it is a model JCRG21A. i went at auction for around $1400 - fair price.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:37 PM

Those dudes are high !! I had to buy my K7 there because they were the only shop that had one in town . They quoted me $2000 over the phone , so I told them I was on my way . I printed every price from every retailer on the net , and took them with me . Got to the store , talked to the salesidiot , set up the sale , and then hit him with the other prices . Walked out with the guitar and UV1000 case for $1200 even ! It is sad that they don't know anything about the inventory . Also , I bought it last year , 12/11/04 to be exact , when I dated it - F01.... you get the picture . At least a 2 year old guitar . They tend to keep stuff for awhile !! BTW , I'm new , and this is my first post . Cheers !!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 AM

Unhappy Re: J-Custom sighting in Orlando

I love the new black color on the 8670, but it wasn't available when I got mine
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

i'm currently in talks w/ the guy who purchased the one off of eBay - he doesn't like the thin neck. we'll see what happens.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:19 PM

I couldn't help myself.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/sharkdog/IMG_0290.JPG

What a nice guitar! It's alot like an RGT3120 only with a Wizard neck profile and a quilt instead of a flame. And (like the TV finish on the RGT) unfortunately, the finish is too dark to see any of the quilt unless it's in alot of light, but that's the only drawback on this baby.

I love the satin chrome hardware, I was thinking of trading the satin gold on my RGPR-3 with the satin chrome on this one but since the knobs are inset on this the gold ones won't transfer.

Now I need to get a GR-33 to check out the midi capabilities with this (which I've never done before). Should be fun.

Screamndemon69 - are you sure the one you saw in Disney had a single in the middle?
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Vendor

http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/rg21a.jpg

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
I know, I know I've been looking at your gallery pictures all week!

Rich, did they issue anything like this with a single in the middle? Japan always seems to want a H-S-H config.

Also 12 or 24 of these?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Vendor

Vague mempry says yes, and I believe it was the 21B
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

did the "artist" who designed the K7 inlay participate w/ that axe ...glen
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Aw come on Glenn! That's not a sloppy K-7, why it's a, well a, um, winged diamond thing, or two birds kissing, or a butterfly in the grill of my car.

I've named it the rorschach inlay ;-)

So if the H-S-H was the 21B, was it also alternately named an
RG-Custom 2?

Tags
chrome hardware , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony board , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , thin wizard neck , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode