J custom Vs prestige models - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
J custom Vs prestige models

Purely from a players standpoint, are J customs really worth the (sometimes significant) extra money? Im thinkin of steppin into the prestige world, but if theres SIGNIFICANT difference between the two (Aside from wood quality and finish techniques) in playability then I may be swayed a little bit.

rg1420 seems to be up my alley, how are those? I want a H/H EZ/EP/LP bridged RG I think. Maybe an S, but they are only 22 fret which stinks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Re: J custom Vs prestige models

The 1420 seems nice to me but i hate those pro edge trems.
Ever considered these H-H models?: (all with lo pro edges)

RG 620.
RG prestige 2820,3120.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM

in my personal view, I admire the craftmanship on the J customs.
But I don't like the way it sounds.

I have (had) 2 J customs : RG 8570 and RG 9670, both has smooth sounds.. too smooth.
Both with original classic combination of TZ-BV-AN.

I don't know.. maybe it's just me, I'm still counting on my regular RG for tone, power, and playbility.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

the jem was the only guitar I bought because of its looks, and I bought a newer one because of its playability. Im worried that too much hype is placed on finish vs playability, although I know both will be supreme in J custom and prestiges. Just trying to get the appropriate bang for my buck is all.

Death, never heard of the 2820, ill check that out, but as far as the 3000 series prestiges, I feel like its too close to not get a j custom at that point lol.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM

I definitely think the J-Customs are a step up, in terms of finish and playability. The two I have play and sound great. They are both 7 strings, both mahogany bodies with maple top, but with the different pickup configs, they have unique sounds, and they play incredible.

They are very nice guitars.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Are you going for a new axe or a used one?
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
Are you going for a new axe or a used one?

definitely used. Im debating on grabbing a premium still, but I think Id rather spend a little more for a used prestige though. The tops on the premiums are sketchy, but I bet they play great ....

I dunno, I still want to play a J custom before I make any kind of decision, so that may be a while lol.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Yeah got cha bro,totaly understand it.
I always dick around with guitars anyway,so no reason for me to spend big bucks on a j-custom.
I rather customize my rg's self to my likings and thrash out with them.
Thats something i definetly won't do with a j-custom cause there just to expensive and therefore end up on the wall doing nothing.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 PM

How do you answer this question? It's impossible for most of us because it takes having one in your hands.

Five years of being a serious guitar player and an Ibanez owner-- buying and learning about guitars, learning how to play, posting on the forums-- and I have yet to see a J-Custom in person. I know that they recently became more available here in the States, but c'mon, the market is so small it's served by two or three dealers and a handful of sales from Japanese shops that risk reprisal for shipping internationally.

I'd really love to answer this question for myself--but the only guitars in the price range that have a decent selection, day in, day out, are Gibson Customs, Fender Custom Shops, PRS.

Peace

Mike
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Mikey, I appreciate your response and understand it. Im just hoping someone will give a non biased, objective description of both vs each other. I wouldnt call a prestige 'cheap' by any stretch of the word, but its in no way close to a J custom price tag O.o. Granted the rarity of it is more of a driving factor, but I like to play my guitars
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM

J Customs are totally worth it. I've had so many Ibanez guitars over the years and traded or sold all of them away.

However, I have kept my J Customs.
Love these guitars way too much to sell or trade them. Not happening.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 09:04 PM

Reviews: 25

I love my J Customs...
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:15 AM

I had one and had to sell it due to financial reasons. Awesome guitars, a step above the Prestiges, and I love my Prestige guitars.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
I had one and had to sell it due to financial reasons. Awesome guitars, a step above the Prestiges, and I love my Prestige guitars.
thats on the other side of my mind, these J customs seem to hold their depreciated value like crazy O.o
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 AM

You raise a valid point im not sure if I would pour money into a j custom unless I played it and could judge for my self. If you have access to the 1420 and it suits you id pick it up. J customs are amazing instruments don't get me wrong and i don't mean to discourage you buying one I just wouldn't buy one unless I played it first and could personally vouch for the amazing playability.

Tags
gear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in