J.Custom vs Suhr - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

J.Custom vs Suhr

Hmm..was just wondering any of you guys played or own both of these guitar? ery curious how does the quality of a J.Custom compare to a Suhr.

Anyone care to do a shootout between both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Re: J.Custom vs Suhr

Well the obvious benefit of a Suhr is that if you buy one from new, and it's not a Pro-Series, then you can choose the specification of the guitar which you can't with a J-Custom.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:39 PM

The quality of construction is far better in the Suht but it doesn't mean you need all that quality.

Just for the records I own both so I can compare.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:40 PM

The Suhr beats it on quality, IMO. The frets, wood, etc. all seem to be of higher quality after having played the two.

Of course, I'm sure you will get a biased answer here, considering it is an Ibanez-based forum, but if I had to choose, I'd go with a Suhr over a J. Custom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufes View Post
The quality of construction is far better in the Suht but it doesn't mean you need all that quality.
But for the money of one, it better have all the quality.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:48 PM

Imo Suhr are better quality than the older J-Customs. But I'd put my RG8670 on a par with either of my Suhr Standards. Playability wise, then that's down to personnel preference. I like both as they give me something different, particularly the HSS Standard. That's got a lovely strat-like tone. The neck on the 8670 is my favourite
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM

I haven't owned a J-custom, but i did play a few. J-customs are great guitars, but i prefer a Suhr. Suhr play, feel, look and sound fantastic. Sure they are expensive, then again, so are J-customs.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:05 AM

My recently sold RG9570 is right up there with both of my Suhrs in terms of build quality.

The RG8470 compares nicely as well.

The ONLY reason I sold most of my J Customs was I just can't play a 16" radius board anymore.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 PM
GAZ

I think with Suhr you generally get higher grade woods and lots of custom options. Construction wise and playability wise I can't see there's much between them. My 3 JC's are well on a par with my 2 PRS's. If you rate a PRS Custom 24 as say a 99/100 for construction I'd say the JC's are 98/100. I only have one Prestige which I would give about 92/100.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM

I think, at that point, either choice is a win. I hope to own both kinds one day :-)

I recently played a Suhr Modern and the Pro Series. They are definitely outstanding axes with top-grade build quality.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 PM

If i had to choose between the 2, I'd go for the J-Custom. I dont like that a lot of Suhrs look like regular strats except 2500 dollars more expensive. I would never pay that much for a guitar that wasnt built to my specs and personal taste.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
If i had to choose between the 2, I'd go for the J-Custom. I dont like that a lot of Suhrs look like regular strats except 2500 dollars more expensive. I would never pay that much for a guitar that wasnt built to my specs and personal taste.
thank you for reminding us SS lol

I'd go for the JC as well, i've played one for the first time last week, and i wanted more to play it lol. Love the round end frets and the heavy weight body. Incredible attention to detail.

nuff said
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM

You're welcome brother, anytime .
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
That's what you do with a Suhr...Aside from the Pro Series (which are priced a lot lower), all options are customizable.

And don't go by the list price either. It's a good 25% from what you actually pay.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
That's what you do with a Suhr...Aside from the Pro Series (which are priced a lot lower), all options are customizable.

And don't go by the list price either. It's a good 25% from what you actually pay.
1). no, not really. I can't go to Suhr and say heres a body design I want and use these and these woods and shape it in this way and carve this custom inlay from these materials and then custom inlay the headstock and etc etc. Suhr's Custom Shop can customize a guitar to your specs but only to a limited extent just like Carvin and other such companies. You have to work off of one of their models.

2).I wasnt going by list price. There was one on the bay a few weeks ago that looked like a basic strat (alder bod painted black with a maple neck and fretboard with dot inlays) and had a bin of 2400 or so.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM

Suhr's customer support BAR NONE kills any company out there...no contest at all on this one.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode