J Custom vs Suhr vs... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

J Custom vs Suhr vs...

To those who have had the opportunity to compare some high-end guitars...

How does the J Custom compare/fare against other guitars in the ~$2000 price range? I've gotten a large bonus, and am looking to reward myself with a nice guitar.

I had and sold a Caparison Dellinger, as well as an Ibanez Custom USA and Jackson USA SL-2H. I would think the J Custom would be of higher quality than what I listed above...but I'm not sure if I can get my hands on one prior to purchase. I love Ibanez guitars in general, and something like the J Custom RG8570Z PA is really calling my name.

Help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Re: J Custom vs Suhr vs...

If you're a fan of Ibanez guitars in general, you would probably be pretty happy with a J-Custom. I have two, and both are really great guitars. I'm a sucker for Mahogany bodies/Maple tops, so that will get me with just about any guitar.

I've never played a Suhr, but I hear great things about them. As for everything else out there, well, there are a lot of really nice guitars that have a lot of different aspects to them.

You mentioned that you had a Caparison Dellinger. Have you seen some of the new stuff they are coming out with this year? They've got some pretty incredible looking new guitars.
post #3 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM

When you're talking high end guitars, they will all be about the same in terms of quality, so it really just comes down to personal preference.
post #4 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:37 AM

I would say the quality of the Suhr would be better than a J-Custom, try and play a Suhr Modern before you make your choice. Ibanez quality is hit and miss as Rich Harris will tell you, even the Prestige guitars are in need of a professional fret job when they leave the factory whereas a Suhr will leave the workshop in perfect condition.
post #5 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM

Reviews: 2

A J-Custom is a cut above a prestige model.

As Jaxadam mentioned at that level it's personal preference.
post #6 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 AM

Reviews: 25

J Customs for the win... but then again I just love J Customs....
eddyrox likes this.
post #7 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:13 AM

if you are going to buy a j. custom or a suhr, the quality is at such a high level on both of them it becomes irrelevant, they both will satisfy almost everyone. the way the guitar plays in your hands becomes the main factor.
post #8 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

As most folks are correctly saying, a j-custom will, fit and finish wise, hold it's own against pretty much anything out there, including a Suhr or a Tyler or an Anderson. At that level it's all about personal preference.

What you might want to watch though is the issue that a brand new J-Custom will very likely come with an Edge Zero Bridge, which in my opinion is a step down from the Gotoh licenced Floyd Rose found that Suhr uses as its double locker of choice.

Personally, I think the Suhr modern has one of the ugliest superstrat shapes in the history of the electric guitar.

I'd be looking for an older J-custom with a previous version bridge ( or a Suhr and a blindfold )
jono is online  
post #9 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebake View Post
if you are going to buy a j. custom or a suhr, the quality is at such a high level on both of them it becomes irrelevant, they both will satisfy almost everyone. the way the guitar plays in your hands becomes the main factor.
I totally agree with this...

Went to my local GC last night and played a JEM (the white one), a EBMM Petrucci, a Prestige (the red one with yellow PuPs), and a PRS. I honestly was not blown away by any of them. None of them made me want to "tear it up". But I when I first picked up my RG760...is was like "Yeahhhhh boiiiiiiii" shred time. But TBH the set-ups on each was horrendous.

What I really noticed was how much wider the Prestige neck was compared to the older RG series...
post #10 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 01:47 PM

i was going to post J-custom vs PRS custom 24. Both are mahogany with maple tops.
What would you choose?
post #11 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
i was going to post J-custom vs PRS custom 24. Both are mahogany with maple tops.
What would you choose?
It's like Dodge Ram vs Dodge Viper, both have V10 engines but serve different niches.

I'd go for the J-custom as it's more like guitars I'm used to playing.
jono is online  
post #12 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xklusivly4u View Post
What would you choose?
I would choose a Suhr. They sound great, play great and are real lookers too with all the drop tops.
post #13 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:33 PM

I've had chance to compare both -

J Custom build quality is great, but not up there with Suhr tbh. However the differences are very minor.

SS frets on teh Suhr will last a good 25 years longer without needing a refret.

Ultimately however I'm swayed more towards the Suhr due the fact that I have small hands and Ibanez tend to have very wide flat necks.

So it really is Horses for Courses.
post #14 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:38 PM

Last edited by Myst and rain; 04-29-2010 at 09:09 AM.
post #15 of 544 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:36 PM

the suhr is going to be far better than an Ibanez, they are hand built / custom built to your specs. I think i'd go for a suhr

Tags
j custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode