Is J-Custom the way to go for the 'perfect guitar'? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Vendor

Re: Is J-Custom the way to go for the 'perfect guitar'?

Was there some point to that back of headstock veneer to begin with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
Has anyone here found their 'perfect guitar', the #1, the 'cannot be beat' axe that is perfect for them in every way?

Maybe it's nit-picking but I'm still searching for that elusive super-axe. I've got a few guitars right now that are close, but not quite there 100%.

I've been playing Ibanez since 1985 or thereabouts, and have been through quite a few over the years. I've kinda settled on the RG as being what I want in a guitar in terms of neck shape (Wizard), trem (Edge or Edge Pro) and pup configuration/type (HH or HSH with coil taps).

Currently I have a 20th RG550 which is as near to my perfect axe as I've gotten so far. All it's missing in being my #1 dream is a nice flamed maple top and headstock, although in DY it's my fave solid colour. In terms of playability and sound it's perfect for me.

I also have an RG3120, great sound, great feel, I can't get the action quite as low as I'd like without buzzing despite tweaking the heck out of it, and the top isn't as nice as some of the amazing finishes I've seen here. It's a keeper though (for now!).

So my question to J-Custom owners is whether they have satisfied your search for the perfect guitar, or whether even you guys are still looking for perfection?

Do the J-Customs give that final push over the cliff in terms of attention to detail, manufacturing quality, feel and sound compared to the best Prestiges available here in the UK?

I've done a few searches on the board and got some good information, but just wanted to find out current owners thoughts who have lived with the J-C's for a while.
You my friend sound like a good candidate for a custom guitar. I've tried dozens of guitars: Ibanezes, Jacksons, Deans, Gibsons, Fenders, Suhrs, Tom Andersons, etc, and none of them even come close to the custom guitars I have. Nothing beats getting a guitar built to your EXACT specs. I wouldnt recommend it for beginners but if youve been playing for a while and know exactly what you want (neck profile, woods, etc), it's the ultimate way to go in my opinion. You dont have to cut any corners, "settle" for something with a feature or two that you wont use or don't want...plus you end up with a unique instrument that 100 other people in your state won't have.

Oh, just noticed i didnt directly answer your question. To answer it: I've tried J-customs, and while EXCELLENT instruments with great build quality and tone and feel, I'd take my custom guitars (which I paid about the same for, 1300-2000 range) over any J-custom, any day. Nothing beats getting exactly what you want, centimeter for centimeter.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 65

It is all up to you what the perfect guitar is.

Mine custom built would cost me 3-5k so I settled for a JEM
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

Last edited by Rodney James; 04-09-2008 at 09:59 PM.
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney James View Post
Finding the #1, whooh, can be a life long journey, and yet can be found in unexpected places all of the sudden.

Perfection? No such thing.

I think the best approach is nailing down the top priority we seek out of one guitar. Then proceed from that point, because it sure is easy to get distracted by so many elements.

Hope you find it and it takes you and your music to new places.
Totally, totally agree - and besides, when you find it, she'll be the perfect guitar only until GAS strikes again. Just picked up a PRS 513 - absolutely stunning axe, has all the classic SuperStrat pickup combinations AND a bunch more, so she is currently my perfect guitar - but y'know, next week it'll be a Gretsch 6120, or a Rickenbacker 330, or whatever .........
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Totally, totally agree - and besides, when you find it, she'll be the perfect guitar only until GAS strikes again. Just picked up a PRS 513 - absolutely stunning axe, has all the classic SuperStrat pickup combinations AND a bunch more, so she is currently my perfect guitar - but y'know, next week it'll be a Gretsch 6120, or a Rickenbacker 330, or whatever .........
I disagree, I think the perfect guitar does exist, for me its my first custom, for my friend its his Jcustom, for my other friend it's his les paul... The reason I'm getting a second one is: a) I've got extra bucks lyin' around and cant think of anything else I'd like, and b) can't gig with only one guitar (or rather, shouldnt).
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 02:02 AM

But overall a J-Custom is very good quality, right?

I like the things I've read about Suhr and other top makers, but I don't really feel like spending 4.5k+. So by getting a J-Custom and fitting it with some very good pups, that should be a pretty good guitar just a little less craftsmanship and quality compared to Suhr, right?
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 03:06 AM

i thought i have answered it in another thread.
anyway, the best or ultimate guitar for me so far is : RGR1220 BK.
the guitar is simple, basswood body, maple neck with bound rosewwod fingerboard, reversed headstock, hum-hum, 1 vol, NO tone knob, 5 way line switch. the stock pups are : DMZ steve's special and air norton.

the only modification i did is:
change the pups to Seymour duncan parallel axis trem distortion bridge, and original neck.
change the 5 way switch to 3 way switch, which in no.2 position is in-split model.

what do i like about this?
naturally, the guitar itself is amazing, the body fell so much comfortable than any other RG, trust me, I know what I'm saying. somehow, the body curve is slightly different than any other RG.
the neck is super wizard with bubinga stripe, feel so fast and thin.
again.. it feels different than any wizard neck in my other RGs.
the tonewood is good, play it unplugged, I can feel the natural string vibration, how do i describe it? is 'singing' a good word? i don't know.

I don't keep it too long with the stock pups, so I don't recall any memories with the stock pups.

After I changed to duncan :
the bridge pup so powerful (PATB2B), singing, screaming, hot low end, punchy and tight, whatever I want, she delivers.
the neck pup (PATB1N) sounds like any other duncan '59 neck humbucker, open, has a little edgy like single coil, liquid, smooth overdrive.

is it a 'perfect' guitar for me?
yes it does.

is it a J custom?
it has two serial numbers, one indicated as 'Fujigen' serial number, another one indicated that the guitar manufactured in the same production line as J custom.
I believe it was manufactured by the same production line as J custom, but Fujigen did the final assembling.

I choose it as my primary weapon any day any time.
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I can see why my RG8570 has it, because of the wide strips of bubinga you wouldn't be able to read the 'little message' and serial number so clearly. Basically other than that it's just a cosmetic thing, like matching headstocks, neck binding etc.
I thought my PRS's were my perfect guitar, but alas due to poor tuning stability they don't get gigged anymore. My J Customs are near perfect, other than the lack of an adjustable trem arm, and fiddly string changing and on the 8570, abalone offset dots and abalone side markers on flamed maple binding = a nightmare in low light situations !! Maybe I should eat more carrots !!
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddersymphony View Post
I disagree, I think the perfect guitar does exist, for me its my first custom, for my friend its his Jcustom, for my other friend it's his les paul... The reason I'm getting a second one is: a) I've got extra bucks lyin' around and cant think of anything else I'd like, and b) can't gig with only one guitar (or rather, shouldnt).
Well, you are most likely right in any case - ultimately I keep returning to Fender L Series style Strats, and as long as there is one around to play I can get by good as any!
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
cosmetics i just like the looks of it. the whole "sandwiched" thing.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM

I've had a few J Customs, but none were as nice to me as my current 7VWH and I let all the J Customs go without any regrets at all. They may have been nicer to other people, but what does that matter to me? They were nice, beautifully executed and all, but they just weren't magic to me, so off they went.

There's no such thing as the 'perfect do everything' guitar, IMHO. I think that's perfect too, as I like having a half dozen or so "really close" guitars It's a lot more fun!
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the views and links guys.

I like the sound of RG's with mahogany bodies (like my RG3120), so the J-C's should appeal to me in terms of tonewood. Obviously the problem is being able to try one, but I guess I'll maybe just bite the bullet and get one shipped here.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
Thanks for the views and links guys.

I like the sound of RG's with mahogany bodies (like my RG3120), so the J-C's should appeal to me in terms of tonewood. Obviously the problem is being able to try one, but I guess I'll maybe just bite the bullet and get one shipped here.
Same here. I'll probably just order one since everyone seems to like them.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM

i had many ibanez guitars signatures(jem/pgm/fgm ed)and a lot of rg's and usa custom.but my experience is that the j.custom is the best.sound and playability.and the jems are close to it..but very little difference.i like the J.custom the most.try them but be sure they are set up very good!

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pup , coil tap , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , david mccarroll , ebony board , flamed maple , ibanez guitars , left handed guitar , les paul , maple binding , maple neck , mesa boogie , neck binding , neck humbucker , neck pup , neck shape , pickup combination , pickup combo , reversed headstock , seymour duncan , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode