Is J-Custom the way to go for the 'perfect guitar'? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Is J-Custom the way to go for the 'perfect guitar'?

Has anyone here found their 'perfect guitar', the #1, the 'cannot be beat' axe that is perfect for them in every way?

Maybe it's nit-picking but I'm still searching for that elusive super-axe. I've got a few guitars right now that are close, but not quite there 100%.

I've been playing Ibanez since 1985 or thereabouts, and have been through quite a few over the years. I've kinda settled on the RG as being what I want in a guitar in terms of neck shape (Wizard), trem (Edge or Edge Pro) and pup configuration/type (HH or HSH with coil taps).

Currently I have a 20th RG550 which is as near to my perfect axe as I've gotten so far. All it's missing in being my #1 dream is a nice flamed maple top and headstock, although in DY it's my fave solid colour. In terms of playability and sound it's perfect for me.

I also have an RG3120, great sound, great feel, I can't get the action quite as low as I'd like without buzzing despite tweaking the heck out of it, and the top isn't as nice as some of the amazing finishes I've seen here. It's a keeper though (for now!).

So my question to J-Custom owners is whether they have satisfied your search for the perfect guitar, or whether even you guys are still looking for perfection?

Do the J-Customs give that final push over the cliff in terms of attention to detail, manufacturing quality, feel and sound compared to the best Prestiges available here in the UK?

I've done a few searches on the board and got some good information, but just wanted to find out current owners thoughts who have lived with the J-C's for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 AM

Re: Is J-Custom the way to go for the 'perfect guitar'?

It's like trying to find the perfect woman...some always will come closer than others. Is there such a thing as 'perfection'? I kinda doubt it.

I have a JCRG8670 (blue) and it's as sweet as can be. I used to play it a lot, but then i got my Parker.

Does the parker have the thick tone and aesthetic beauty of the JC? no way! But the Parker still comes on every gig with me (while the JC hangs on the wall) becuase it's got the piezo in the bridge and because it weighs less than 5 lbs...two things that the JC doesn't have.

It's all relative - setlle for what makes you ahppy, rather than what's perfect...it's a far easier order to fill.

~K
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Well, the Petrucci music man was damn near perfect. The only two problems were minor. EBs look short you know like they are 7/8 size or something and I don't even want a trem that easy to use. Hard tail for me in my perfect guitar. Everything else...perfect!
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Reviews: 1

Kenny has a point that the ultimate guitar is "ultimately" up to you, the player.

That being said J-Custom's IMO and probably many others feel that J Customs/USA Customs exceed the craftsmanship, looks, feel and most of the time tone than any other Ibanez.

Perhaps its because the all the components are perfect right off the bat being already sat up the way most people want them to be.

That being said there are so many varieties out there in the J-Custom world so before you decide on the "ultimate" guitar you should have a few things in mind before hand. Such as what type of wood you like the best, and if you want a maple top. Rosewood, maple or ebony board, etc. So many options, so many j customs.

If you look hard enough you will find your perfect match, Ibanez does a good job at it. Many times the hunt is rough but the end result is always beyond amazing.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM

I see J-customs a lot (look at the location) and let me tell you since you are asking about Ibanezes: They are pure quality. Up to the standards of the high end PRS stuff and other like companies. Caparison, Jackson and what not. So as far as that is concerned don't owrry. Functionally I imagine that you already know if it's what you want or not.

Sorry my original post was a bit off topic, I admit i didn't read your post well enough Fizzy.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 AM

a regular ibanez with really good setup work (on nut, frets, etc) and some good pickups (not average dimarzios.. blah) can be perfect. it all depends on what features you want. the whole more expensive = better philosophy is a stupid way to look at things. I've played a bunch of really expensive guitars that were total crap (gibson, prs, etc.)

having a great setup is the most important part about how a guitar plays, and having great pickups is the most important part about how a guitar sounds...
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 PM

If the RG550 is the perfect sound for you, J-Custom may not be the way to go as your current one will be basswood. Nearly all J-Customs are mahogany with maple top, with the odd alder or ash one spotted now and again, so you may not like the J-Custom wood's tones as much. The J-Custom will probably have nicer fret finishing etc than your RG550, but what if it can't deliver the sound you're after?

I love J-Customs because the neck & fret finishing is usually brilliant, so they're my favourite guitars in my hand, but I'm still undecided as to what wood and pickup combo is going to be my ultimate. Can't say I've got one guitar that totally nails what I'm after.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:29 PM

Reviews: 1

http://jcustom.web.fc2.com/

check out the j customs/prestiges on that site, specs are in english. If you want a basswood body w/ a maple top its going to be hard, to my knowledge I'm not sure if one exists.

Hope that link helps.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Vendor

RGART is basswood with maple cap. RGPaints are basswood, but getting back to when JC's were more Prestige than JC.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Rich, what year did the JC's start being more "JC-like" in fit and finish?

How far off in terms of quality would you say the new RGT320q or even the new RG3520z are from an '07 or '08 JC? Is it just the fret finishing that makes them different?
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Vendor

By 2001 they were starting to get better finishing than Prestige but it's on a piece by piece basis. Some you'll find with ball ends in 2001 but they aren't consistent. I'd have to say 2004 before they became consistent to all guitars, may be a little earlier, my mental notes are a little incomplete this early in the morning [to me ]
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll re-read some of the JC thread and maybe find some info on the question I asked about the new models vs JC quality.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Vendor

Didn't even look at your edit.

Fret end and board edge will be vastly different.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:36 PM

what about the back of the headstock veener?
some JC's have the same necks as prestiges and some have that nice headstock that is covered with ebony/maple veener on the back?
can you even get these anymore?
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Didn't even look at your edit.

Fret end and board edge will be vastly different.
I kinda figured that was the biggest differences. I would even venture to say that they use the nicer figured maple pieces for JC's over the Prestige line but as you said, it is on a piece by piece basis. Thanks man.

~Bones

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pup , coil tap , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , david mccarroll , ebony board , flamed maple , ibanez guitars , left handed guitar , les paul , maple binding , maple neck , mesa boogie , neck binding , neck humbucker , neck pup , neck shape , pickup combination , pickup combo , reversed headstock , seymour duncan , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode