J-Customs worth the money - or should i just build a custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

J-Customs worth the money - or should i just build a custom

I was looking at a couple of J-customs like the 9670, and 9570 (neck thru)...I've heard that J-customs don't hold up to what they look like on the websites...i want to know if its worth it to get one. *Also, could i return it if i don't like it?

Also, im thinking about a custom guitar...RG body, all jem features, only two humbuckers, 5 color swirl and JP graphic over it, AAA flame top, 3 color pyramid inlay with albone fire around each inlay...

what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
J-Customs worth the money

Depending on whether you like the finish or not is the big question.

As far as playability, sound and feel go, I rate them up there with the best of the best. I've seen one J-Custom (A flame top in amber with a double edge) that I adore for it's cosmetics, the photos are here and I think it belongs to BillEarl on the forum.

Some shops will let you return them if you don't like it, Others wont. I can't say which ones are which.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:17 PM

Didn't you ask basically the same question just a few days ago?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:19 PM

Chances are (unless you live in Japan), you'll probably have a hard time tracking a J-Custom down, and if you do find one, you'll probably have a hard time returning it if you don't like it.

That said, I really like the J-Customs I've had. I currently have an RG-ART and an RG1880, and I used to have an RG6CST. They are very nice guitars--good craftsmanship, good tone, good playability. I've also had equally good luck with the Ibanez prestige line of guitars--they're not as expensive, but generally the craftsmanship, tone, and playability are just as good.

If you really want a neck-through Ibanez, your options are pretty limited. You can either get one of the J-Customs or try to scrounge up an old American Master.

--B
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

yeah but i want to know if a J-Custom is good, cuz i heard some bad stuff about them
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 12:40 PM

Generally as a rule they are great guitars.
Made very well with top class materials.

The recent topics which probably perked your concern were regarding a few "bad eggs" that slipped through.
Take into account though that they were only "bad eggs" as far as the finish went, I presume the playability was just as good.

If you want a JC the best thing to do is find one and play it, guitars are very personal things and one never feels the same as the other.

If you intend to buy without playing one, then at least make sure you can get a good set of pictures of the actual guitar you're buying, don't worry too much about getting the seller to provide numerous jaw dropping close-ups of the finish, 1 or 2 will suffice, get pics of the neck and neck joint, maybe a couple looking down the length of the fretboard, plus some close-ups of the fretboard itself and the trem.
Personally I prefer pics like this when buying blind, you can then judge the condition of the neck, which obviously is the most important component.

gl

Steve

Steve
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:04 PM

I've played and/or owned JEM's, UV's, T.Anders*n's, and plenty of others. *As the owner of FIVE J-Customs, I'll say that all meet or exceed anything else I've ever played; in playability, looks, quality of construction, tone, variety, etc.

I think "bad egg" is the wrong term.
There's a difference between what some people like and others dislike.

Before sending anyone any money (for ANY guitar), re-read and memorize Ripley's last two paragraphs.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2001, 03:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Darren is right, in that there is no need to repeat topics/questions.

The only worry i would have buying a J-Custom is the same concern i'd have buying any similar Ibanez *- Jem, JS, Prestige, etc. That is the ability to see/play the guitar before buying and ensure you have a return policy, and a fixed return fee (if any). The largest problem with the J-Customs is that these are not available in the States (or many places) which makes buying them more difficult, in that you must rely on photos from a seller. Also since they are typically sold for top dollar, these factors are only compounded.

Good luck... glen
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 02:55 AM

You seem to have placed a lot of emphasis on the appearance, and what your ideal guitar would look like. *I have yet to see a J Custom whose appearance would rival the "three ring circus" of a guitar you are describing. *not hacking on you, but your description did sound a bit, uhhhhh, busy.

To hell with what it looks like. *Cosmetics are a plus, but certainly not the end all when shopping for a guitar. *So, unless you know what you're getting yourself into in terms of playability and comfort, there is the first place to start - do you like Ibanez guitars? *Are you familiar with the neck shapes of the J-Customs?*

J Customs are not Soloists, Strats, Les Pauls, Andersons, (insert guitar of your choice,) *nor do they attempt to be one of the aforementioned guitars. *Obviously they work for Kevan but Strats seemed to work for Jimi and Stevie, *Pauls for Perry and Page and the lowly Jem for Steve Vai. *It depends on your taste. *

Quality of construction, price and capabilities are things you should be seeking info on.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Well, your also paying for what the guitar looks like too...im not gonna buy a $1000-2000 expecting a book matched flame top when there is really nothing...expecting a wonderful finish when i looks like crap thats why im more worried about aperiance...i've played the 3120...so i basically know what it will sound like, but i either want the one with the vine inlay on it or the neck-thru body...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 10:10 AM

Aren't the prices well over $2000 for any of the "worth while" models? *Also, isn't there some variation in the neck profiles? (I stress the neck profile thing becasue to me it is themost significant difference in guitars) *The Prestige 3120 - is not a J Custom.

Sure you're paying for the guitar's looks, but I can build a Memphis just like an RG Egypt and it still is nothing like a J Custom. *Even Cort has some nice tops on their guitars. *

Regardless, the price tag should be for the entire instrument, not just for the look. *I am sure that tone junkies can explain why Mahogany bodies with Flame Maple tops sound better than Basswood.

I am not slamming the J Customs at all, but unless you know all of the tech specs and are really familiar with high end Ibanez guitars such as these, it is definitely not good to jump in blindly.

Look , I don't know the extent of your experience with Ibanez guitars, and IMHO J Customs are not for the light hearted, or wood shedders *(nor those with shallow pockets.)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 11:33 AM

Quote:
kirk on 1:55 am on Dec. 24, 2001
J Customs are not Soloists, Strats, Les Pauls, Andersons, (insert guitar of your choice,) *nor do they attempt to be one of the aforementioned guitars. *Obviously they work for Kevan but Strats seemed to work for Jimi and Stevie, *Pauls for Perry and Page and the lowly Jem for Steve Vai. *It depends on your taste.
ROFLMFAO!!!
Did you just put my name in the same sentence as Jimi, Stevie, Perry, Page and Vai?
HA HA HA! *Talk about 'opposite end of the talent spectrum'!!! *Damn that's funny....
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 11:55 AM

Hey they would work for me if I didn't waste my money on crap. * *I just used my favorite J Custom owner as an example.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-24-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

now heres the big question...where can i get them...i know about that online place...what ever its called, but is there anywhere else?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-25-2001, 11:04 PM

You know it is interesting, you guys say it is really hard to find J-Customs in the states, because my local guitar shop has two brand new J-Customs in. The Trans-Black one and the Natural wood one with the sound chamber in it. Sorry I don't know the proper names but they are the two newest ones.

Tags
custom guitar , flame maple , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , jem brmr , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop , neck joint , neck shape , neck thru , pyramid inlay , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode