Jackson Dinky DK2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Jackson Dinky DK2

Just took delivery of a Jackson Dinky DK2 today, nice looking instrument for less than half the price of a Prestige RG, ebony fretboard, Floyd trem etc, almost flawless satin orange paint job, perfect neck pocket and fantastic tone.

But the fret ends.. Jesus, they are razor sharp, every one of them, both sides, like running my fingers over a cheese grater! Has anyone on here with one of these gone to the trouble of cutting them back? Any problems with the procedure? I'm tempted to mask the binding off, then slowly tackle them one by one with a Swiss file.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Re: Jackson Dinky DK2

Is that the new mexican dinky?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Yes (well 2016)
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Despite my affection for the lovely looking Mexican Dinky, I just couldn't live with those fret ends and didn't really want the stress of filing them away to make it playable, so took the cowards option and returned it and replaced with a faultless RG655-GK, boring but so much nicer to play, and sounds pretty good too! Its a 2017 production and for some reason was for sale at the 'old' 2016 price, so well over 200 less than the current average retail pricing.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:58 PM

Sounds like you made a good move!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Reviews: 10

I played a Jackson Dinky and it also had sharp fret ends - not very nice finishing work by Jackson on the fret edges. I guess the board could have shrunk a bit - but I've never had this issue on any of my Ibanez or Fender guitars, some of which are almost 30 years old.

Maybe get one of these: http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...sing_File.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

If the guitar was 2nd hand then I'd be happy to sort out the fret ends, but not so keen as its under warranty, just really pleased that the RG655 is flawless, I haven't had much luck with Ibanez recently (or Music Man for that matter!) hence wanting to try something different. I should point out that in most cases, my problems with Ibanez guitars have been mostly down to poor handling by the shops or the couriers, however my Music Man experiences have been way worse, just shoddy builds, including a new Majesty - looked and played amazing, just so badly put together.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
...however my Music Man experiences have been way worse, just shoddy builds, including a new Majesty - looked and played amazing, just so badly put together.
That is very interesting about the Majesty. That is a very expensive guitar - what exactly are you referring to when you say 'badly put together'?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Neck pickup not central in the routing, so much so that the right side screw had cut into the edge of the route and took all the paint off, because it wasn't central the pole pieces then didn't line up with the strings. QC on a top end guitar like that should have spotted that one! The string alignment on the fretboard wasn't too brilliant either, saw a few (including the one I had) where the strings were very close to one side of the fretboard and with a large gap on the other at the 24th fret, not as bad as a bolt on neck that's had a hard knock, but annoying none the less, and being a neck-through was nothing much I could do about it. The shop told me that that was the way Petrucci wanted it, but I've since seen other Majesty's that have the strings perfectly aligned. Oh and the trem wasn't anywhere near as good as an Edge in terms of returning to pitch, with a bit of lube it got a lot better, but again, this should have been good from the start, not requiring the buyer to start adding lube! If it were a cheap Chinese guitar then I'd expect it, but when spending between 2500 and 3000 I expect a lot better.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 AM

Do you have pictures?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Wow, that is pretty bad - for a guitar at that price you should not have issues like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Neck pickup not central in the routing, so much so that the right side screw had cut into the edge of the route and took all the paint off, because it wasn't central the pole pieces then didn't line up with the strings. QC on a top end guitar like that should have spotted that one! The string alignment on the fretboard wasn't too brilliant either, saw a few (including the one I had) where the strings were very close to one side of the fretboard and with a large gap on the other at the 24th fret, not as bad as a bolt on neck that's had a hard knock, but annoying none the less, and being a neck-through was nothing much I could do about it. The shop told me that that was the way Petrucci wanted it, but I've since seen other Majesty's that have the strings perfectly aligned. Oh and the trem wasn't anywhere near as good as an Edge in terms of returning to pitch, with a bit of lube it got a lot better, but again, this should have been good from the start, not requiring the buyer to start adding lube! If it were a cheap Chinese guitar then I'd expect it, but when spending between 2500 and 3000 I expect a lot better.

Tags
dk2 , jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode