Jackson Dinky std. vs Ibanez Rg 550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Jackson Dinky std. vs Ibanez Rg 550

Many of you have different opinions about guitars, so I need to hear what do you think. Help me decide please!
I recently got some money ($800) and Iīm about to buy a new used guitar.
I have the possibility to buy one of these two ones, a 97 Rg550 bk or a Dinky Std.
Iīm sure both of them must be excellent instruments but, as I canīt try them out because they are pretty far away from where I live, I would like to know this: which one would you prefer and WHY?
I really need your advise, so Iīll be very thankfull if you can help me.
Iīll post pictures of the new baby as soon as I get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Re: Jackson Dinky std. vs Ibanez Rg 550

well, majority of this community wil say rg 550.
as i am..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
well, majority of this community wil say rg 550.
as i am..
Oh yea...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM

I'm assuming by Dinky Standard, you are talking about something like a DK2 series. If it is a used DK1, they really are even, but those generally aren't very common, at that level they pretty much just make Soloists.

Upper fret access is a bit worse on a Dinky, assuming you are comparing to an RG-550 with a block heel, much worse if compared to an AANJ RG. An Edge it a better tremolo than the licensed one on the DK2's, but since the RG-550 is used, the amount of wear and tear on it could be a factor. Sound is going to be subjective, both come with fairly solid pick-ups. That level of Ibanez guitar does feel a bit better made, as well.

Personally, I would say the RG-550 over the Jackson DK2 in most cases. Now if you save up a bit more, a Jackson Soloist might be a good option if you want a neck through. It is a fairly close thing though. I've played on both and if I had to get something in that price range other than an RG, a Dinky would definitely be a pretty high choice.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 11:41 AM

No contest, 550! even if its got some wear, it a well engineered instrument
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

The Jackson I was talking about is called Dinky Std. (thatīs what it says on the truss rod cover).
It has 1 humbucker and two single coils, both are jacksonīs, a schaller floyd rose and itīs rear routed, but it also has a transparent pickguard. 24 frets and red dots on it, matching the rest of the guitar. I saw a blue on a post sometime ago.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Maybe one of the old Japanese Professional ones?

I'd go with the RG-550 over those. The Pros were well made, but tended to have slightly lower grade hardware than what the US Jacksons were getting.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

They are both used, the rg 550 comes with case.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Between the two, I'd say the 550. But I would consider getting a used Jackson DKMG like the one seen here on Jackson's website:

http://jacksonguitars.com/products/p...ct=2910100503#

Side by side, the Jackson's build quality is much better. Routing is more accurate. The hardware and pickups are nicer. And of course, the archtop body is much sexier and comfortable. I'd even say that the neck is more ergonomic than the Wizard I. I'm a huge fan of the Wizard necks, but the Jackson neck has a slightly more rounded shape, which keeps my hand from cramping.

And personally, I wouldn't consider the neck heel on the Jackson an issue for upper fret access, as long as you are arching your fret hand correctly.

I'm sure you would be very happy with either guitar. But it's my opinion that you get a lot more guitar for your money when looking at used Jacksons. Check the 'bay and you'll see what I'm talking about.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM

I have a dinky (dont know what model) and I have been an Ibanez player for 20 years. I can tell you the thing about the Jackson that sucks the most, is the placement of the volume knob. I am constantly wondering where the sound went???
Every time it goes away, it has been because I accidentally turned it down without knowing it.
The dinky play wells, but it's still not an Ibanez.
BTW, I play a 1990 RG570 as my main rig.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Reviews: 2

I'll bet you could find a USA Jackson DK1 for around $800 with a case. I had a 1997 DK1
that I got for $699. Although I sold it for a USA soloist (SL2H), it was a great guitar, and I
wouldn't go for a non-USA Jackson if I were you. I also have two Jems,,and so for me,
USA Jacksons and Japanese Ibanez's are both tremendous. Between the two guitars
you're describing, I'd have to go with the RG. To me, Korean Ibanez guitars are closer to
the Japanese Ibanez's as far as feel, while import Jackson's are nothing like the USA Jacksons.

Last edited by lynchfan6; 11-28-2008 at 09:30 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:06 AM

If you like Jackson, I'd say look for an Archtop Pro or Charvel 750XL. As for the RG550, I'd go for a much older model like an '87 or '91, you won't be disappointed !!!

Let us know what you choose !!!

Tags
rg 550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode