Jackson DK2M. Any thoughts? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Jackson DK2M. Any thoughts?

So I'm thinking about this guitar. Anyone had any experience with it?

I'll be swapping out the Licenced Trem and putting in an OFR,
and also a 5-way switch. So appart from the the trem, what's the guitar like? (Neck, Build Quality etc.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 AM

Re: Jackson DK2M. Any thoughts?

I had one- I thought it was one of the best players out there for the money. The pickups sound great, the finish was perfect and I was surprisingly happy with the trem. It wasn't the greatest feel I've ever had in a trem, but the stability was top-notch and I never felt the need for a replace. If you can get it for a great deal, go for it!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:26 AM

Played a couple. Thought they were good guitars. Always liked the DK2's. They look best in White or Eerie Dress Swirl for my money.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 AM

I played a DK2M the other day - I thought the neck felt very nice. Smooth, fast, comfortable. The bridge pickup sounded good for metal but the neck pickup was a bit muddy for clean for me. I wasn't using a great amp so maybe a different one would help. So overall I was impressed.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM

All the DK2s are very nice guitars; I would compare them very favorably to the old RG7xx series guitars. I had one of the flame painted/rosewood board ones for a while, and only let it go because I didn't really need it in the first place
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:31 AM

My only worry was the trem - any thoughts on it?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge View Post
My only worry was the trem - any thoughts on it?

I don't really care, I'll be replacing it with an OFR anyway.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned

yes ive had a dk2m the black one.was a good guitar quite beefy,semour duncan pups and the neck was great.for the price a very good guitar but i swapped mine for a xbox360 and a few games.as for the trem it seemed ok.for the price you wont get a better guitar
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 PM

If you like Fender and Ibanez necks, you will like the neck. The compound radius feels like both brands at the same time. Bound fretboard and a nice fret finish.
The nothingness of a scarf joint, always welcome.

The JaZZ neck pickup has plenty of bite when it is turned all the way up and mellows out very quickly into jazz when you turn it down. I think it could benefit from the capacitor or what ever is on the Jem's volume pot to keep the treble up as the volume goes down.

The bridge pickup is very versatile.

Bridge: Agree with Jallen , different feel from an edge.* but no stability issues.

Body is Alder and a nice change from my normal Ibanez basswood.

I bought a dk2m for an all purpose, travel and beat it up guitar and to put the maple fretboard neck on my dk2s. The dk2m is pretty in white, I ended up with a cobalt blue one because it was there.

The new ones come with an awesome, SKB rebranded case.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 PM

I nearly bought one of these a few months ago because I thought it was real sharp with the maple and black binding. But the duncan designed pickups were garbage and I don't trust LFR's, so I chose not to based on the fact that it'd cost me another 300 dollars to be happy with it. Assuming you pay the sticker price of like 550-600 for it, and spend 200 on an OFR, that's 800 dollars that could be much better allocated towards a used prestige, or an older jackson or charvel.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Seems like a really good catch, especially if I invest in an OFR.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 09:34 AM

Reviews: 3

the block on the floyd needs to be milled down so it doesnt stick out past the back if you have the big one. i'll measure the one i have now but i think its 42mm and its too big. 32mm might work stock.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah stick an OFR in it and you'll have a cracking guitar. Are you buying the one in the picture in your original post mate?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Jackson DK2M. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Hell Broke Loose View Post
I nearly bought one of these a few months ago because I thought it was real sharp with the maple and black binding. But the duncan designed pickups were garbage and I don't trust LFR's, so I chose not to based on the fact that it'd cost me another 300 dollars to be happy with it. Assuming you pay the sticker price of like 550-600 for it, and spend 200 on an OFR, that's 800 dollars that could be much better allocated towards a used prestige, or an older jackson or charvel.
First of dude the DKM2 comes with "REAL" seymour duncan pups and they aren't garbage I am sorry to say... secondly, the licensed FR is very good and will hold in tune just as good as the original FR no need to spend more money to upgrade something that is already solid, I have several Jacksons with LFR and I have never had tuning issues with them.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Jackson DK2M. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEra View Post
Thanks guys. Seems like a really good catch, especially if I invest in an OFR.
Useless upgrade, I could see it if it was Ibanez TRS II quality, which it isn't but to each their own!

Tags
dk2m , jackson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode