Jackson dxmg - anybody try one yet? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Jackson dxmg - anybody try one yet?

Anybody check out the new Jackson dxmg yet and formulated an opinion? I've only seen them on Musicians Friend, but none in stores for me to try out. My local Sam Ash stopped carrying Jackson. I'm looking to get back into 6 strings and don't want yet another ibanez (no offense they are still my favorite) and this guitar just looks SSSSOOOO metal. I'm curious how these "Jackson specific emg's" compare to the 81's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 05:30 AM

Jackson dxmg

I pulled one from the rack about two weeks ago, though I put it right back without plugging it in.. The neck was like a baseball bat, bulky and thick, while the trem is a schaller knock-off (exactly like the trems from Jackson's Performer line)..

It was sort of a disappointment, I wanted to get one to snag the neck off it (reverse headstock, binding, and 'fins' ) .. But the thing was so uncomfortable, I couldn't deal with it..

I can't say for sure, but I doubt the EMG HZ's in it will compare to 81's.. They're passive, and somewhat close to the HZ's in the LTD ESP's, I'd imagine..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 12:25 AM

Jackson dxmg

Thats because Jackson got cheap and know all the ones that used to be in made in Japan are made in India(with the exception of the pro series).
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Jackson dxmg

how would it rate to a 470, or are we talking 220 here?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 11:29 PM

Jackson dxmg

Quote:
Quote: from mmr7 on 11:55 pm on Aug. 28, 2001
how would it rate to a 470, or are we talking 220 here?
More like grx quality.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:16 AM

Jackson dxmg

Don't laugh...In my broke state I convinced my wife I would just buy a cheap guitar and found the JDR dinky's in Musicians Friend. *Man...whatta piece o' crap! *I put a tone zone in it because it sounded muddy. *It still sounds like crap. *I can't get this thing to sound good. *I didn't expect much for $179...but this is bad. *I have had Aria Pro guitars that sounded better. *I will be trading this as soon as possible.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Re: Jackson dxmg - anybody try one yet?

Hmmm, this is funny. Maybe the quality and craftsmanship differs way more with the DXMG and DK-2's but I thought the neck was very good on the DXMG I tried. I think the main problem is that the pickups kinda suck and the DXMG could really benefit from having an Original or Schaller Floyd Rose (the DXMG I played was made in Japan by the way). The people I've talked on Harmony Central also often praised the workmanship on the DXMG sighting the hardware as the main weakness...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:30 PM

Note: There are ***TWO*** types of DXMG's that are available from Jackson. One is Japanese made and the other is made in India. The Indian made one has a huge baseball bat neck, while the Japanese one has a neck similar to that of a Wizard II(thinner than a japanese made DK2).

Btw, the pickups you get in the DXMG are the same pickups you get if you ordered a $3000 ESP Alexi Laiho model(go figure huh??). Change the pickups out if you got the cash.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 08:43 AM

Yup, the Jacksons that are made in Japan arn't(?) bad at all. Just change the pups......
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 AM

Yep I agree too. I havent played the DXMG, but I did play and own a DKMGT. I think thats how you spell it anyway......its the string-thru body one. It was bloody nice actually. Had EMG's and an afterburner kit. Was very nice quality all-around and probably one of the best guitars I have owned for the money it cost. Jacksons are quite a personal taste though I have found......you either love em or hate em.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:28 PM

Reviews: 12

Some of the X series jacksons are made in india, and msot of the JS series, but most of the impoprt jacksons are made in japan and are really good, i've tried two or three dxmg's and they are really good guitars, the newer japan ones have good necks and arent that much thicker than the wizzard II's.

The trem's arent bad much better than the older ones and lo trs II's, you could also retrofit an ofr or Schaller Floyd allthough most of the newer Jacksons will have the 12-14 radiused boards, so you will need the trem I think to have the right saddle height or so i've been told...

I think most lower these days have fairly crappy stock trem's and pickups in comparrison to the original Floyds and the better licensed trems, Edges Gotohs and Schaller's...and the pickups arent great but they arent completely useless..

It is one of the most popular import jacksons around so you shouldnt have too much difficulty finding one GC probably carry them..

Ozz
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:32 PM

Try out the DK2 mate, the necks in the pro series are really nice and they have a much better reputation than the MG series

Tags
alexi laiho , floyd rose , reverse headstock , sam ash , schaller floyd rose , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode