Jackson Fusion vs RG feel: String spacing or radius? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Jackson Fusion vs RG feel: String spacing or radius?

Hey, I've got a question for anyone who's played on both Wizard necks and classic Jackson necks: Is the string spacing on the Edge Pro the same as Jackson's JT580LP, or is it a tiny bit wider? Or does it just FEEL wider because of the flatter fretboard radius?

Last night, I was comparing my RG1550M to my old 90s MIJ Fusion, and I swear the strings feel closer together on the Jackson whenever I'm string-skipping, but I really couldn't see much of a difference when I whipped out the little ruler on the Ibanez multi-tool. But I can't guarantee I was holding my head and the ruler at the exact same position every time...

By the way, in reading around, I find that the spacing on the original edge is 0.420 or about 2-1/8" E-to-E. Can't find confirmation of the Edge Pro or the JT580LP for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jackson Fusion vs RG feel: String spacing or radius?

Well, I've been unsuccessful in finding this info online, so maybe no one but the people with the design files at Jackson and Ibanez knows.

But, these are the best measurements I could do by hand with a ruler, again comparing a Jackson Fusion with a JT580LP bridge and an RG1550M with an Edge Pro. All values approximate, and I tried to round to nearest the nearest 0.25mm, based on where the center of the string appeared to be between the notches.

At the trem posts (E to E)
JT580LP: 52mm
Edge Pro: 53.5mm

24th fret
JT580LP: 48.5
Edge Pro: 49.5

The 1.5mm difference across the strings at the bridge means that I'm not just imagining the difference in feel with picking. That implies 0.3mm wider spacing between strings on the Ibby, which is pretty damn small, but perhaps not so subtle to miss.

Doesn't anyone else feel like the spacing is just a little wider on a prestige neck+edge pro guitar versus other floating trem setups?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 PM

Re: Jackson Fusion vs RG feel: String spacing or radius?

I feel that too on my ESP.

But when I do actual measurement with a steel ruler, the distance between strings are the same 1 cm on both Ibanez and ESP. ( @12th fret)

So I'd guess it's more because of the rounder radius on the ESP makes the string spacing felt a little narrower.

Tags
ibanez , jackson , radius , string spacing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode