Jackson guy here, thinking about a Prestige or J-Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Jackson guy here, thinking about a Prestige or J-Custom

Hi, everyone. First post here. I've been a huge Jackson/Charvel guy for several years now. I currently own a few and I've had others in the past that I sold or traded.

Anyway, a while back I walked into a local pawn shop and there was a JEM on the wall. I won't bore you with the entire story (but if you care, the complete saga is over on the JCF forum. I have the same username there). Specifically, it was a JEM77VBK. Even more specifically, it was a FAKE. I did some research on this and passed on it.

But ever since, I've been looking more and more at Ibanez. Some of them are stunning in the looks department and they also have the large frets like my Jacksons.

I own two USA Soloists (both SL2H) and I previously had an SL1. The only local place that sells Ibanez is Guitar Center, and like the Jacksons, the only Ibanez guitars they carry are the cheap junk except for a JEM that has hung on the wall forever.

So anyway, what's the general consensus on the Prestige and J-Custom models? They look really nice and seem to get great reviews. I'm not so much looking for something "comparable" to the Jackson as I'm looking for something different that I'll also like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Re: Jackson guy here, thinking about a Prestige or J-Custom

Well, I"m pretty sure everyone's general consensus here is gonna be that either line are great guitars to choose from. Fit and finish has always been top notch although there are those such as myself who chose to look for the older models. What specifically are you looking for?
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt142 View Post
Well, I"m pretty sure everyone's general consensus here is gonna be that either line are great guitars to choose from. Fit and finish has always been top notch although there are those such as myself who chose to look for the older models. What specifically are you looking for?
That's the thing; I know practically nothing about them except what I've seen online lately. They look great and I would love to try a few out. But since GC is my only dealer here, I can only try out the cheaper lines.

But in making a better effort at an answer, I love super low action, hot pickups, and a great feeling neck.
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 PM

nice to have ya on here, im new to here as well, may i suggest a older 1988-1995 fujigen rg560-to a jem any with a original wizard neck 17mm at the nut,t hey are great guitars even if one needs a re fret ect..., i really dont like a lot of the new ibanez stuff, unless they are japan!, no indoneisa ,korea ect... the necks on those are weak my suggestion is to stick with the original stuff, or check the serial numbers on them , the quality of the parts are a big deal as well
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez4ever View Post
nice to have ya on here, im new to here as well, may i suggest a older 1988-1995 fujigen rg560-to a jem any with a original wizard neck 17mm at the nut,t hey are great guitars even if one needs a re fret ect..., i really dont like a lot of the new ibanez stuff, unless they are japan!, no indoneisa ,korea ect... the necks on those are weak my suggestion is to stick with the original stuff, or check the serial numbers on them , the quality of the parts are a big deal as well
How is the neck weak? It's a three piece neck, far stronger than an old one piece neck on an RG 550.
LonePhantom is online  
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Have anyone tried the chris boderick 6 string soloist? It has great specs and ive tried playing it... It sounds and feels great... Solid high quality guitar... Ive never really bother about jackson guitars till i play chris boderick signature...you guys should check that out
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
How is the neck weak? It's a three piece neck, far stronger than an old one piece neck on an RG 550.
i dont know what they did or "didnt do " but the necks will flex with just string tension on them, and when you dive with the tremolo, i looked at a few of them and they are not equal at all ,and the metals are cheaper in quality and design.
maybe the high end ibanez stuff,might be decent, but the other countries stuff ,they even just feel different and cheap, you can have what ever you want its your money-, its just some things to look into when you shell out 1k or more. just tryin to help, not make anyone mad
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Vendor

If you think your 20 year old 17mm wizard doesn't flex maybe you should go dive the bar and watch it roll into backbow....

PowerTube, nothing can replace hands on. There is no doubt you will love the necks but you have to feel them to know. When you do, contact me before you buy anything, I have the best guitars at the best prices.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you think your 20 year old 17mm wizard doesn't flex maybe you should go dive the bar and watch it roll into backbow....

PowerTube, nothing can replace hands on. There is no doubt you will love the necks but you have to feel them to know. When you do, contact me before you buy anything, I have the best guitars at the best prices.

i know mine doesnt flex.
-any will flex if you push on them hard enough though, but just using the tremolo!, hell no the old guitars were made better
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Vendor

Every old neck, and new neck flexes, Unless you live on a very strange planet where Earth physics don't apply.

Dropping 80 pounds of string tension is one hell-uv-a-push......
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 PM

-rock hard maple, i have played a few lower end ibanez guitars ,and they were not hard maple necks, and they were junk because of it, i dont care what the factory says, you know,when you play junk necks what they feel like, they can be straight as can be,but the quality of wood and /or the way the wood is dried and prepared, will make or break the guitars
there are a few custom guitars made, aluminum ,or fiberglass/carbonfiber, and they are stiff,so not all guitars necks flex, and for these new necks, to flex from using the tremolo!, its terrible, and ibanez shouldnt put their name on them
future of guitars/ necks will be even higher technology,machined, like building motors, with computers and feeler gauges ,but i hope they dont get stupid and want a fortune for them just to make a good product, gibson are machining the frets at the factory, all guitars should be made this way, not just the frets leveled and crowned, companies are just lazy, and go with business as usual
--and i was from earth-3 rock from the sun
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerTube View Post
That's the thing; I know practically nothing about them except what I've seen online lately. They look great and I would love to try a few out. But since GC is my only dealer here, I can only try out the cheaper lines.

But in making a better effort at an answer, I love super low action, hot pickups, and a great feeling neck.
Oh and dont knock the indo-made standard RGs. They are great axes as well for their price point although many need alot of work to get up to perfect playing condition.

I have old school (RG550/560), newer indo standard (RG350EXZ), and 2 prestiges (RG1550 and 2550). All of them have good points and bad points but you can't go wrong with any of them. All of them play very well. That's just my opinion though.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Vendor

Quote:
-rock hard maple, i have played a few lower end ibanez guitars ,and they were not hard maple necks, and they were junk because of it, i dont care what the factory says, you know,when you play junk necks what they feel like, they can be straight as can be,but the quality of wood and /or the way the wood is dried and prepared, will make or break the guitars
there are a few custom guitars made, aluminum ,or fiberglass/carbonfiber, and they are stiff,so not all guitars necks flex, and for these new necks, to flex from using the tremolo!, its terrible, and ibanez shouldnt put their name on them
future of guitars/ necks will be even higher technology,machined, like building motors, with computers and feeler gauges ,but i hope they dont get stupid and want a fortune for them just to make a good product, gibson are machining the frets at the factory, all guitars should be made this way, not just the frets leveled and crowned, companies are just lazy, and go with business as usual
--and i was from earth-3 rock from the sun
If you want to continue to illustrate how clueless you are about guitars please start another thread so that PowerTube gets the answers he wants without the argument. But I just took a 21 year old 19mm hard rock maple GMC neck and dropped the bar taking it from .3mm of relief to 1.5mm of backbow. Which is going to be the same, more or less, for every single maple neck that isn't a baseball bat, no matter when it was made.

Last edited by Rich; 12-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:38 PM

^^^^^^^

Probably one of the biggest wizard/super wizard fan on these boards. The new necks ARE STRONGER and more DURABLE than the old ones. They are simply made better.

I'd love to have a super wizard with the 5pc design.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
to flex from using the tremolo!, its terrible, and ibanez shouldnt put their name on them
Honestly, Rich handles more guitars in a year than most of us will in a lifetime.
He knows what he's talking about.
I just checked: we have three electric guitars. An old RG550, a fairly new RG1550 and a Stratocaster.
All three of them you can see the neck flex just a bit when using the trem.
Even the Strat with a neck as thick as a baseball bat, and it has the standard two-point non-locking bridge.
Wood flexes, even with the truss rod. If your necks don't flex at all, that must be some unusually hard wood.
It's not going to be obvious, it shouldn't move more than a millimeter or two, at most I'm guessing, at the end of the headstock, but all three of these flex and I know they are all good quality guitars....and again, one is Stratocaster with a really thick neck. (American Standard, not a cheap one)

Tags
jackson prestige j-custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode