Jackson JT580 trem only bends up to one whole note - normal?!? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Jackson JT580 trem only bends up to one whole note - normal?!?

I LOVE the neck and playability of my '04 Jackson SL-3 (Japanese Soloist). But I have two probs:
1) annoying buzz (not fret buzz) that I haven't been yet been able to isolate
2) the Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose JT580 trem only bends up to one-whole note. I.E. I pull up until it stops and the resulting note is only one whole note (two frets) higher than the non-bent note.

I'm not too worried about 1, as there's at least hope I or a local tech can fix it.

But problem 2, just doesn't seem right. Only one-whole note? Okay, I've never been a huge trem user in the past (but would like to use it more in the future), so call me a noob, but what is the "normal" interval for a fully pulled up trem? I could swear I have seen/heard other trems go up at least a third.

I've been seriously thinking of scrapping the Jackson and going with a Jem or maybe even a RG 20th, mainly for trem performance as I use my Schecter Hellraiser C7 for most non-trem non-lead playing.

I'm going to try to make it to the local guitar store to try other guitars/trems in a few days, but this is driving me nuts right now! Any comments/suggestion much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Jackson JT580 trem only bends up to one whole note - normal?!?

Is it because the cavity for the trem is fairly shallow? The trem isn't getting stopped by the timber underneath it maybe? If that were the case you could make the cavity a little deeper to give you more pull-up range.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

I thought of that - and that's where my trem-using newbiness comes in... is one-whole-note worth of travel normal, or not? I've never seen anyone complain about the travel of the trem in the SL3's, but it just seems way too short to me.

I really need to hit the local music shop soon to try out some other guitars/trems!!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 AM

You should be able to pull up around 2 to 2 1/2 steps.

Regards

André

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 07:37 AM

Lightbulb Re: Jackson JT580 trem only bends up to one whole note - normal?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
You should be able to pull up around 2 to 2 1/2 steps.

Regards

André
I don't know anything about the JT580, but my Jems pull up 6-7 semitones.

Almost a minor 6th measured at the 12th fret! (G)

anything less than a fourth is pointless IMHO since you can bend up a third.

The first thing to check is how high the trem sits, the location of the knife edge is critical, next check the angle. If those are correct you need to see where it bottoms out. Interestingly a LoPro bottoms out on the trem arm holder, it leaves a small dimple in the body, your JT580 may do the same.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 08:01 AM

I have a Jackson Concept, japanese, and i believe its the same trem...

The axe has been in pieces for a long time now, but, if i remember correctly the cavity is really shallow, so, when you pull the trem up, it almost instantly touches the body... I guess it could be routed deeper without too much hassle, but, have a pro do it...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. You all have confirmed what I was thinking... that most trems/guitars can pull much higher... and that it's probably the shallow cavity that is the primary cause of the limited trem travel.

Hmm... now I need to decide whether to keep the SL3 and have the cavity routed (and possibly switch out the trem for an OFR as well), or since the guitar is in perfect condition, just sell it and get something else (like the Jem I've always wanted or possibly a Prestige RG or similar).

Decisions decisions.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:20 PM

I'd keep it, and mod it. I've routed trem cavities, and it wasn't too hard of a job for me to do. I reccomend handing to someone who's capable. Why sell it, just because of this, if you like the guitar?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 11:55 AM

I've also heard of people shimming the neck pocket to raise the neck therefore having to raise the bridge to correspond. This seems easier than routing the bridge cavity (and reversible also). This in turn gives you more pullup because the bridge is higher. Can anyboy vouche for this action?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I don't know anything about the JT580, but my Jems pull up 6-7 semitones.

Almost a minor 6th measured at the 12th fret! (G)

anything less than a fourth is pointless IMHO since you can bend up a third.

The first thing to check is how high the trem sits, the location of the knife edge is critical, next check the angle. If those are correct you need to see where it bottoms out. Interestingly a LoPro bottoms out on the trem arm holder, it leaves a small dimple in the body, your JT580 may do the same.
Really that much?

Regards

André

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 AM

Lightbulb Re: Jackson JT580 trem only bends up to one whole note - normal?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi View Post
Really that much?

Regards

André
yup, granted my HAM is slightly angled forward, but on my DSY (tuned to Eb) it's slightly angled back and only loses about a semitone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontalis
I've also heard of people shimming the neck pocket to raise the neck therefore having to raise the bridge to correspond. This seems easier than routing the bridge cavity (and reversible also). This in turn gives you more pullup because the bridge is higher. Can anyboy vouche for this action?
This doesn't work on a Jem, since it bottoms out as the trem arm holder hits the front of the cavity. It would be easy to see if this is also the case for that Jacko.

Note that when I got my HAM it was set up so low that it did indeed botton out on the top of the route, causing all sort of problems, as it creates another pivot point. Severe whammy action could pull the knifes off of the posts.

Last edited by eviltwin; 01-09-2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: image added

Tags
arm holder , floyd rose , fret buzz , local music shop , trem arm , trem arm holder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode