Jackson Kelly BSP material top project - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Jackson Kelly BSP material top project

Hey all, thought I would share my current project:

Its a Kelly XL Pro. Got it off the bay with some body damage so I knew I was going to refinish it. My love for Marty Friedman / Megadeth Kelly era...and the Jem BFP pretty much got me here to this weird love child (BSP - blue squiggle pattern). It took me a while to dye the fabric the blue I was looking for...the pattern was originally black and white. Anyways, just gotta do a little cleanup and sanding on the fabric edges and add another layer of sanding sealer. Then I will go with the black burst and clear. Hopefully I will get inspired and finish it soon...sanding sucks! Prepping the body was agony and I am drained/procrastinating just thinking of the finish sanding and polishing to come .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 05:26 AM

Re: Jackson Kelly BSP material top project

That is going to look nice finished . Have fun!

Regards

André

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 05:32 AM

Can't wait for pics!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:54 PM

Cool. I'm doing something similar. I picked on up off **** for fairly cheap. I'm applying veneer to mine. I was totally disgusted to find 3/32" pieces of masonite glued to the front and the back of the guitar. Took forever to remove all of the glue. I applied three different types of veneer. Will be either a standard 3 color vintage sunburst or a cranberry stain with black sunburst.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for posting your project mfergel; cranberry and blackburst would look nice. I was considering veneer but for some reason the material beckoned me.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-05-2006, 03:56 PM

I keep wanting to do a fabric guitar as well. Even got my discount card for Han**** fabrics....hehehe
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:11 PM

cool. i like them both. iu'd alomost opt to keep that quilt top natural finish but i'm sure the stain will look sweet. good work guys.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 PM

Looks like an awesome project thats for sure!
Blue + Jackson Kelly = awesome.

Keep us posted.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have the black on, but I have to go back and sand some imperfections on the front and back, respray and fade a burst around the edge before I clear. The blue is alot darker than I expected...the flash brings it out (unfortunately that means the pickups will be alot lighter in comparison and could be too much of a focal point). Right now with only a rough sanding sealer on I am hoping a smooth clear lightens up the blue a bit. Oh well I am too deep to turn back now hopefully she will look alright when done (lessons learned).
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 08:26 AM

That's looking real nice. I almost like that satin black on the edges. Still looks very metal.

You might be right about the pickups. You can never go wrong with black.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 02:01 PM

Coming along very nicely .

Regards

André

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Well here it is after the first round of clear. Man this project has been a pain. There a quite a few flaws in the material and finish but they only should be noticeable within 2 feet. The only thing I am unhappy about at the moment is the burst is uneven (not as wide and unapparent on the left side).

I have a new respect for guys that do graphics on guitars professionally.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Yeah, I see what you mean. Looks like the burst needs to come into the center of the guitar, more, judging by the above pic. Looks like you're really gonna have your work cut out, burying the fabric texture, under the clear, too. You seem to be on a good path, though. Keep it up, and be sure to continue posting pics. I love this kinda stuff!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2007, 11:35 PM

Looks cool!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 12:28 AM

+1. As cool as McGyver

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio strap , jackson kelly , jem bfp , marty friedman , neck pickup , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode