Jackson Licensed Floyd replacement - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Jackson Licensed Floyd replacement

Hey all. So I have a Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose in my Dinky, and I wanted to know your thoughts on replacing it. Or, if there are any known-of mods I could to keep the arm from coming loose when I use it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Re: Jackson Licensed Floyd replacement

I installed an original Floyd Rose in my DK2 Pro and it was a direct fit.
It made quite a difference and I wish Jackson would just charge a bit more and install them from the factory.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 15

I have a Jackson trem and my arm is the non-screw version. It has 2 plastic sleeve adjusters that determine the fit. When one wears out (in about 5-7 years) you just replace it with another (included with the guitar).
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Jackson can't put an OFR on their low and mid level guitars because that would cut into the profits of the high end. They learned that lesson back in the early 90's. The original Professional series imports, and their predecessor Charvel line both featured the Schaller Floyd. Those Japanese imports were so well crafted that the USA series was losing sales. So one of the things they did to curb that was to remove the Schaller Floyd's and start putting on the cheaper JT-580 and it's LP brother. I believe this started in 1994. Not only did this save a few bucks in production, but it also made for one more reason to spring for more money and just get the USA Custom instead. The Schaller trems were branded as Jackson or Charvel and they were called the JT-590. The JT-580/580LP is the same thing as the Ibanez TRS and is also featured on numerous other companies' low to mid level shredder guitars. They're all made by a company called Takeuchi. And this trem sucks!

You'd be better off getting a used RG5XX or older Jackson or Charvel, any of which can be had for $300, than any lower line guitar today. Heck, I even see some $600 and $700 guitars with the TRS on them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 PM

I don't think what you say about the JT580 is entirely correct, at least about the low pro version.

I have a DK2M that I just bought, and the trem doesn't suck! It's not in the same league as the OFR and the Schaller, and some of the Ibanez models, but it stays in tune, and after replacing the wobbly arm with a Schaller one I had, I've had no real problems.

I think the confusion comes with Jackson naming their trems the JT580 LP, when there are two different versions of this unit. The original one was a pretty low quality unit, one of those TRS type, but since about 2006 (I think), there's been an upgrade, and the base plate is made of steel (God knows what they used to make them out of!).

You can usual tell, especially if your Jackson came with "Duncan Designed" pickups, instead of the "name" Duncans (JB and Jazz on my guitar).

The thing is there are a lot of people moaning about this Jackson trem, and wanting to upgrade as soon as they get one of these guitars, when it isn't a real necessity, at least not straight away. The best thing to do is try it first, before casting it aside.

Apart from the trem arm problem which is easily fixed, I've found it stays in tune pretty well, and I can even get "flutter" from it (which is only supposed to be possible on the top quality models!).

I may upgrade the block for a brass one at some stage. It's certainly a lot cheaper than shelling out for a OFR. I always tinker with my guitars anyway, and if I can upgrade the cheap parts as I go along, I prefer to do this, as I don't have the thousands it would cost to by an expensive USA made model.

You pay your money and take your choice, but from what I've seen dropping an OFR in the recessed cavity of the DK2, doesn't look right somehow. It is possible, as I've seen pictures, but I'm not sure I'd do it , as it's routed for a low pro trem, and there seems to be a lot of space around it. It just looks "wrong" to me, and I'm fussy about how things look on my guitars!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
Jackson can't put an OFR on their low and mid level guitars because that would cut into the profits of the high end. They learned that lesson back in the early 90's. The original Professional series imports, and their predecessor Charvel line both featured the Schaller Floyd. Those Japanese imports were so well crafted that the USA series was losing sales. So one of the things they did to curb that was to remove the Schaller Floyd's and start putting on the cheaper JT-580 and it's LP brother. I believe this started in 1994. Not only did this save a few bucks in production, but it also made for one more reason to spring for more money and just get the USA Custom instead. The Schaller trems were branded as Jackson or Charvel and they were called the JT-590. The JT-580/580LP is the same thing as the Ibanez TRS and is also featured on numerous other companies' low to mid level shredder guitars. They're all made by a company called Takeuchi. And this trem sucks!

You'd be better off getting a used RG5XX or older Jackson or Charvel, any of which can be had for $300, than any lower line guitar today. Heck, I even see some $600 and $700 guitars with the TRS on them.

Early 90's Professionals kick all sorts of ass. This is my 92' Dinky Reverse. $300 bucks on that auction site. It's a fantastic guitar. Had a JB/Jazz in it. Sold them and put Dimarzios in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode