Jackson Quality "Levels" vs Ibanez Quality "Levels" - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Jackson Quality "Levels" vs Ibanez Quality "Levels"

Hi Folks,

I've been looking a little more closely at Jackson lately, and am drooling over some of their models like the DKMGT (EMG's and reverse headstock), and I was wondering about their quality/product herachy verses Ibanez's. I'm beginning to be unhappy with Ibanez's product-line conservatism, even though I love my RGA121.

Here is how I have the two companys mapped out it my little noggin:

IBANEZ.......................JACKSON

Japan (J-Custom).........USA (Select Series)
Japan (Prestige)...........Japan (Pro and MG Series)
Korea (RGT42 etc.).......Japan (X Series)
Indon.(RG 3-series).......India (JS Series)

Am I in the ball-park here? Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM

Re: Jackson Quality "Levels" vs Ibanez Quality "Levels"

I guess so. The USA series could also be considered the equivalent to the higher-end Prestige guitars, as J-Customs aren't made for sale outside of Japan. The thing is that Jackson somehow can make a MIJ guitar with a decent trem and pickups, and still have it less than a Prestige. For example, look at the RR3.
post #3 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 PM

I'd say you've got it about right. Jackson also offers a Custom Shop.
post #4 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 AM

is that true jackson MG and X series are MIJ?
post #5 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
That's what it says in their 2007 PDF Catalogue/Price-List.
post #6 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM

Reviews: 3

if you get a Jackson, stick with the pre Fender late 80's early 90's models if possible.
post #7 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
My 2006 DKMG is MIJ
post #8 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:16 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
if you get a Jackson, stick with the pre Fender late 80's early 90's models if possible.
I have heard nothing but good things about the post-fender takeover Jackson USA's. I haven't played enough to compare myself though. The general consensus is that USA's are awesome from what I have heard.
post #9 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finstah View Post
I think that's a load, of crap personally. People who tell you their guitar is "Pre-Fender" are just looking to raise the price of it. Fender bought Jackson in late 2002 as well, so it wasn't all that long ago.

And as guitargod points out, I agree that USA made Jacksons are awesome
post #10 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input everyone. The USA's are a little out of my price range. And I am looking at the DKMGT with the fixed bridge and the EMG's (I don't like the black Ibanez model).... I have little-to-no use for tremelos.

As far as this pre-Fender/post-Fender business goes…. a well-built guitar is still a well built guitar. As along as it exceeds my RG320FM in terms of construction and feel, I’ll be happy……until I win the lottery of course.

Cheers
post #11 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 04:02 PM

I would say that the DXMG is more in line with the RGT42.

I think there are some guitars Jackson make that sort of vary from group to group.

Select Series is very nice.
post #12 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Anything under USA / old "Pro" series is like a RG3xx quality.. jackson doesnt have as great a range as Ibanez does. but jackson USA's are definately up there with JCustoms.
post #13 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
Anything under USA / old "Pro" series is like a RG3xx quality.. jackson doesnt have as great a range as Ibanez does.
I disagee with that statement. I just came back from the local music shop and tried out a few made in Japan Jacksons (ranging from $600 - $1000 street price), and they felt vastly superior to my RG 3-series. But, they didn't feel as good as my RGA121, which I was half-expecting. Also, I tried out a cheapie JS-series model, just so I could get a better point of reference, and THAT felt comparable to a RG 3-series (with that Jackson being lower).

After testing some of the Jacksons, I agree with Jaxadam's statement that the MG-series is more like the Korean RG-series. I also agree with his statement that there is some "level" variances by country for the Jacksons.

It's all a moot-point anyways, I like the DXMGT and will be buying one soon.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Cheers
post #14 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM

The DK2s with the hot rod flames are cool I'd love to grab one of those one day!
post #15 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM

I want MIJ Jacksonstars soloist, the price is almost the same with USA made Jackson. but the features on that thing is justified the price tag (schaller, duncans, ebony board, etc).
lower than that, is dinky series, I love it too, but the features just don't really match with the price they offer. I won't pay like USD 600 for takeuchi-equipped guitar..

Tags
adrian smith , alder bodied , alder body , bridge pup , custom ibanez , custom shop , custom shop guitar , dave gilmour , dave mustaine , distorted tone , distorted tones , duncan pickups , ebony board , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , floyd rose , george benson , grover jackson , ibanez guitars , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez pickups , ibanez trem , jackson guitars , jackson pro series , joe satriani , john scofield , les paul , local music shop , maple neck , maple necks , marty friedman , neck finish , pat metheny , playing guitar , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prestige necks , pro edge , reverse headstock , rosewood fretboard , scott ian , sharkfin inlays , truss rod , truss rod cover , usa custom shop , vintage strat , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode