Jackson RR3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

Jackson RR3

what's your opinion on it, and is there any difference between the RR3 and the RR1 other than neck-thru, ebony fretboard and made in the USA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 PM

Re: Jackson RR3

RR1 is better made, has a better quality tremolo, actually comes with a case. They have the same pick-ups and same body design. You are comparing $2000+ to a $700 guitar after all.

RR3 is decent, but you save $50 just buy getting a Pro Level Dinky, which is the exact same guitar, but the body shape is more comfortable.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
RR1 is better made, has a better quality tremolo, actually comes with a case. They have the same pick-ups and same body design. You are comparing $2000+ to a $700 guitar after all.

RR3 is decent, but you save $50 just buy getting a Pro Level Dinky, which is the exact same guitar, but the body shape is more comfortable.
very true. I was mainly trying to figure out where the 1300 extra was hiding.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 AM

For the price, the MIJ Pro Jacksons are great guitars, but the Usa Select stuff is in a different class. I'm not sure if it's $1300 better though. If possible, play both and see for yourself.

It's like Ibanez MIK v's Ibanez MIJ, the more expensive MIJ instruments recieve more attention, and are generally made from higher quality components.

Rock on!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM

The old Japanese made Jackson Professional series guitars, from '90 to about '94, were at least as good as the USA made guitars and many were simply better. The best Jacksons for the money are often the early Pros.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

yeah, I ended up buying the black RR3. The stock bridge p/u was really good actually, the neck p/u though was total crap. the neck felt "plastic" to me, and there was no binding, and I can't stand rosewood. The guitar played well, but over all just wasn't what I was looking for. So I bought an RR24 last night. Bound neck, ebony fretboard, reversed inlays, and 24 frets. I'm confident I'll like this one a lot more
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The old Japanese made Jackson Professional series guitars, from '90 to about '94, were at least as good as the USA made guitars and many were simply better. The best Jacksons for the money are often the early Pros.
there's one up on **** right now if you want it. '91 in good condition
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 10:56 AM

I've got my '90 Pro Soloist, so I'm good

Thanks though
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
The current Jackson Stars brand is supposed to be roughly equivalent to the old Japanese Jacksons. Besides there is always Caparison, as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheau View Post
The current Jackson Stars brand is supposed to be roughly equivalent to the old Japanese Jacksons. Besides there is always Caparison, as well.
I've never heard anyone say the Stars guitars are as good or better than their USA counterparts, and the old Pros were built to the exact same spec as the USA guitars in a shop run by the guy who eventually started Caparison, Itaru Kanno. Not to knock the Stars guitars, but I think they're in a class with the 95 and later Pros, not the 90-94's.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I've never heard anyone say the Stars guitars are as good or better than their USA counterparts, and the old Pros were built to the exact same spec as the USA guitars in a shop run by the guy who eventually started Caparison, Itaru Kanno. Not to knock the Stars guitars, but I think they're in a class with the 95 and later Pros, not the 90-94's.
The Stars at least were the same spec as the 1994 Pro's because it was the same people producing the same models. The contract expired, which only meant they couldn't use the Jackson name specifically. Doesn't really matter, they aren't really worth importing anyways, why spend more on one of those when Caparisons or Jackson USA are cheaper, after all.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Jackson changed the spec of the Professional series guitars in '94 because they were eating into the USA made sales. That's why you see things like ebony boards on the early Pros and rosewood on the XLs and such. It isn't so much a contract on the building thing as it was a strategic decision by Jackson to change the spec of the instruments. The same workers making them also doesn't apply, as the specs were changed.

This is a '90 Soloist Pro neck, note the bound ebony board and MOP inlays:

Tags
ebony boards , pro neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode