Jackson RR7R Rhoads 7-String Pro??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Jackson RR7R Rhoads 7-String Pro???

Can someone give me some advice on this guitar???

There is one for sale in Finland, 2nd Hand for about 400 ($485USD)

Is it worth this price? What sort of pick ups should come standard with it?

Thanks

Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:13 AM

Re: Jackson RR7R Rhoads 7-String Pro???

I know nothing about that guitar but it sounds awesome.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:42 AM

Don't buy this. Those import 7s from the late 90s (the DR-7, RR-7, KE-7) are absolute garbage in both sound and playability. Don't bother.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fono22
Can someone give me some advice on this guitar???

There is one for sale in Finland, 2nd Hand for about 400 ($485USD)

Is it worth this price? What sort of pick ups should come standard with it?

Thanks

Lance
I don't know absolutely nothing about that model, but at that price I think it's worth a shot . There is nothing like test driving the guitar (if you can, of course. If you don't, I think the guitar is worth the money).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:50 AM

No, its not. Like I said that guitar is terrible. I've played those.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglor
No, its not. Like I said that guitar is terrible. I've played those.

Ok, I just thought it, and at that price...

But tell me...why is that guitar so terrible?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:34 PM

Um... cheap lowgrade woods, construction, pickups, etc. The neck is too wide and plays like crap, the woods are harsh lowgrade alder, the pickups are awful duncan designs which sound like complete trash, the tuners, the nut.. everything is just garbage. You would have been better off getting an RG7321... at least those play well and sounds alright (better w/ a pickup change of course).
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 PM

A lot of these older Jackson 7 string guitars were actually made in India at the Harmony Guitar factory. Like Raglor said, avoid it as best you can because the quality on it is pretty bad and an Ibanez RG7321 is a big step up.

HOWEVER, if it's one of the oddball jackson 7 strings that was made in Japan, those actually we're pretty darn good. But like every other guitar, if you have the opportunity to test it out, go try it first before making a decision.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Um... cheap lowgrade woods, construction, pickups, etc. The neck is too wide and plays like crap, the woods are harsh lowgrade alder, the pickups are awful duncan designs which sound like complete trash, the tuners, the nut.. everything is just garbage. You would have been better off getting an RG7321... at least those play well and sounds alright (better w/ a pickup change of course).

Ok, thanks .
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:54 AM

I'm sorry to have to come down so hard on your new purchase, I don't mean to bum you out... I hope somehow you end up loving it anyways. I just was hoping I would sway you NOT to purchase it, but now that you already have, good luck!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 AM

Since when did Randy Rhoads ever use a 7 string?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 12:20 AM

Im sure he would have eventually.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Im sure he would have eventually.
i personally think he would have gone on to jazz, which then maybe he would have used a 7 lol
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

I didn't buy it.. thanks to your advice. I think I'm going to get a 7321. I wanted something a bit more high quality, but I can't afford it.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM

I have this guitar. I actualy dig it a lot. Like any seven string guitar they are naturally thicker in the neck to support the extra tension from the extra bass string (the seventh string). I never played the Jem model but i would like to. I have played a 7 string for about 5 years. The added bennefit to any recording is the extra tonality for alternating bass notes as well as extra think chords that reach octaves not even possible on a 6 string. They do lead well but not as fast. They are really great for recording because of the resonance of the strings. THe strings are usually a thicker gage which records really rich and clear. Heavier gage strings compromise speed though. I would suggest to anybody to have a 7 string but learn on a 6 first. It takes great hand strength to play a 7. THis needed strength can be achieved by playing a acoustic guitar. 400 dollars is a great deal on any 7 string guitar. THey are limited and difficult to come by. Your 7 string for 400 dollars was worth more than that they day you would have walked out of the store with it. GO try to find another one for that price! good luck! WOuld i recommend an Ibanez 7 string? Of course i would! THe Ibanez 7 string designed by Vai would be more than a wonderfull add to my collection and i already know how to play the thing chords and all. Ya see the 7th string is tuned to B shich means you are able to lay extra thick octave chords just like if you were playing a bar chord rooted on the sixth or 5th string. Now you have bar chords rooted also on the 7th string. Its a whole new world of deep sound. ANd for you drop tuners drop the 7th and the 6th to D and freekin let that metal fly. Really some times its the shooter not the gun that makes the difference at any firing range. With a guy that cant see to good it makes no difference if you hand him a BB gun or the best of marksman riffles hes still going to miss the dam target. Again Would i recomment the Ibanez 7 string. You bet your ass i would. Ibanez makes a wonderful quality instrument and i would love to have one as well as be endorsed by Ibanez.
TO correct some of the readers about Randy Roads and what guitar he played he didnt play a Jackson V. He played a Gibson 6 string V. Randy as well as most other recording artist used the method of multitracking on his released albums (who knows maybe in his recording sessions he used a 7 at times, It wouldnt be unheard of they existed at the time. His live performances were always with a 6 string. THe jackson V seriouse is a series designed to have the look and sound (Via Seymore Duncan pickups- ) of the Gibson. Yes Randy was endorced by Seymor Duncan as well as Gibson but if Ibanez gave him a check at that time you would have seen randy with an Ibanez in his hands flying with DiMarzio pick ups.
Would a Ibanez signature series Howling WOlfgang GUitar flying V make sence??? sure it would! I will even design it for yah!
My biggest draw back to the Jackson V 7 string is the missing locking tremelo system which is a must have in any guitar really. Yeah my jackson is a fixed bridge bummer ahh
Yah know when you find a great guitar as a serious artist you know it!
My dad was a friend of the Do bro brothers. He actually got to watch them make one of the very last DO bro guitars. My dad told me that the last do bro brother was about 90 years old when he made a Do bro for my dads friend. My dad watched as the 90 year old man was hand inlaying a rose patern fretboard. He said that the man was shaking uncontrollably and sporadically from his arthritis joints as he grabed the carving tool. My dad said once the old mans carving tool touched the wood the man stopped shaking and hand carved the entire fretboard in front of there eyes. He was the last do bro brother left alive at that time and my dads friend received one of the very last DO bro guitars ever made. THis is a true story! Music has been a part of every part of my life as i listend to my dads picking from my birth on up to my carreer in music. My first instrument was at the age of 7 (the trumbone) i moved on to oboe and sax at the age of 9 and was recruited into the orchestra. my music continued as i went on through school and even majored in music in college. With music as my major i was thrown out of music school on accusations of cheating because my GPA was 100 percent with me being to top in the whole school. THis didnt go over to well with my world renown trumpet playing college professor who gazed at me in my leather jacket,Long hair , with chains that jingled as i walked and leather motorcyle boots that echoed clickety clackedly as i strolled around the college campus hard tile floors. Yah they through me out alright. The sterio typicaly a head banger cant be academically smart kind of deal. It wasnt that i was so smart its just that i knew the stuff already. Maybe it looked od that i was slumped in my chair not paying attention and eyeing hoties in the class room. Sure enough into the deans office i went with my diploma being expelled papers with a non refunded tuition reimbursement. I got on my motorcycle and was rolling out of the campus pretending that i had a bug in my eye as i was riding off crying like a little baby. WHat a Bitch!
THis is the Kind of **** that would make Bach or mozart (who i am named after) roll over in their grave. I met another drummer from this same class about 1 year latter. WHo told me that he owed me an apology. I said for what? He said because i hated you! I said for what? He said because you were perfect and i was struggling so hard in the class and still wasnt making it. I couldnt believe it. I told him instead of hating me you should have asked me to help you and i would surely have.
Regardless of all this i still love music.
No i dont have a degree no i dont have the big house, the fancy cars, the dog that always listens to what i tell him to do or even the wife that alows me to even pick up an instrument (I had to fight to even be able to play music in my relationship). Music is my passion it is my outlet its where i talking my hurts my joys my greeds my loves my lusts my heart my arrogance my humility my dignity my self worth my lack of self worth my ambition my tears my fears even my beers. so really do i need a degree anyway? I think i
Closed Thread

Tags
randy rhoads , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode