Jackson Soloist: Screw in the trem cavity? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

Jackson Soloist: Screw in the trem cavity?

Ok, I just bought a brand new Jackson Soloist SL2H, and even though the ebony fretboard looked a little bit grainy, I absolutely loved the way it played. However, I was looking to install a Goldo Backbox and when I opened the trem cavity, I noticed something extremely odd and concerning. The point of a small screw (but larger than the ones holding in cavity cover, but it looks like a sheet metal screw rather than a wood screw) JUST poking through the wood as if it was drilled in too far from the pickup cavity. I haven't removed the pickups on it yet, so I don't know if that's what it is, but I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before? Also, would that have anything to do with my pickups sounding slightly microphonic when the guitar is pressed against my chest like when I'm playing sitting down?

I just ordered the backbox and a set of Seymour Duncan active pickups, but I don't want to install either of these mods on a faulty guitar. Should I contact Jackson about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:05 AM

Re: Jackson Soloist: Screw in the trem cavity?

Pics?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...0829080033.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...829080033a.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...0829080034.jpg

it seems the screw is coming from the bridge pickup cavity. when my new pickups come in next tuesday i'll pull the JB out and see what it is. or do you think i should contact jackson first before i do any mods on the guitar?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:46 AM

I have *never* seen that on a guitar. I've seen it the other way around when someone screws the trem claw too tight and it goes through into the pickup cavity but never the other way around.

Take it back. An SL2H won't of been cheap so you deserve to get one without any issues.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 04:49 AM

I've got the same thing on my jacko, always wondered what it was
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 06:50 AM

looks like the screw that holds the earth connection to the shielding paint in the cavity
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Good call on the earth ground screw. That's probably what it is. I just didn't wanna pull the pickups all out and mess with everything and then have Jackson be like naw, you modified it, we didn't do that, you know?

So what should i do? I could probably back the screw off just a little bit so it's flush with the body without affecting anything major right? The backbox would cover the hole anyway, so the cosmetics isn't much of an issue. That is, if it really is just a ground screw. Or do you think I should call up San Dimas and just get a new one? It's literally brand new, 08 that I've had for about a month and this is the first time I opened it.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 AM

Thats a horrible problem

I think you should first grind it down, than file it down, sand it smooth with 900 grit..... than you should have it polished. don't attempt this yourself and let an experienced luthier do it. Than refinish the whole guitar.

Its in the freakin trem cavity with a lid on it . Get a life
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
Its in the freakin trem cavity with a lid on it . Get a life
While I sorta agree with you there it could hurt resale value in the future if he decides to get rid of it. If it were me I would take it back and find another you like if possible but take the trem cover off before you leave the store.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 AM

they probably laugh at him and rightfully so. I sold a truckload of axes and how many times did i hear...i give you less because there is a screw in the trem cavity ?? give me a break. play the guitar and enjoy
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah thats no big deal it's not hurting anything and not affecting your sound in any way. Resale value? when was the last time you removed the trem cover before buying a guitar? I wouldn't worry about it. Actually, you should call Jackson and gripe maybe they will send you a free t-shirt or something.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 05:34 PM

dude does it have passive emg's because that screw is how jackson grounds out there guitars there is a wire with an eye hole wrapped around the screw, that attches to the electronics, that is almost on all jacksons.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

ok, so it doesn't affect sound besides the fact that my bridge pickup is microphonic? no problem right? it's ok if my guitar picks up my voice when i'm talking or squeals whenever i plug power supplies into my pedals. sweeeeet.

but i dont' know if this is causing those problems or if the pickup (seymour duncan jb, by the way) is potted poorly. but the reason i opened the trem cavity in the first place (for those who wanted to bash me without reading the first post) was to install a goldo backbox, which happens to sit right on top of the screw, which would make it impossibly for the unit to sit flush against the guitar. meaning it would be useless as a trem stablizer.

i was pretty much just wondering if this is a common problem or a major defect in my particular guitar. i was planning on shimming out the screw in the pickup cavity with a washer so my backbox can sit flush in the trem cavity and do it's job properly if it was common (as it now seems to be, thanks)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 PM

So in other words, installing a backbox which you have to screw into the wood in the trem cavity isn't going to affect the resale value? ALSO...that might void any warranty they give you. Just sayin'...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

i want to use the trem though, that's why i bought the soloist. if i wanted a fixed bridge i would have bought one. i'm not complaining about the resale value of the guitar, have i once mentioned it? i have no problem with modifying or screwing into the wood, that's why i bought a 2008 model instead of a vintage. i have a 57 les paul custom that i'm keeping completely stock. this is my guitar to put personal touches on.

Tags
jackson , microphonic , soloist , trem cavity

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode