Jackson USA Custom - what do you know? What do you think? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:33 AM Thread Starter

Jackson USA Custom - what do you know? What do you think?

I know this may seem sacreligious, but I've broadened my search for a new guitar from a new JEM only to possibly a Jackson USA Custom (SL2-type). I'd like to hear from those knowledgable about Jackson guitars particularly the USA custom shop. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I 've been considering the Jackson USA select range for a while as a possible alternative to Ibanez.

First and foremost they're superb guitars. I couldn't find a fault constructionwise on the different Soloists I tried whether they're graphic finish ones or solid colour ones or maple topped ones.

I found the necks were noticably thicker than a JEM neck, and had painted backs to them which felt as sticky as ever.

Other than that they were great, very solid feel, a fair bit heavier than a JEM, but with a super smooth feel to the ebony board and all the examples I tried had really low action in a nigh on buzz free environment

The original Floyd rose held up to all I could subject it too without the store owner taking the guitar out of my hands striaght away, but I can't comment on how stable it would be in a gigging situation.

I thought the sound was a bit harsh, not like the forceful punch of the Evo's I'm used to, but then tis was through a very unfamilar amp and I didn't bother to fix the setitngs too much.

Would I get a USA Soloist instead of a JEM? Probably not; they don't suit my playing style as well as the JEM in terms of playability and sound. Would I go out of my way to hunt down a DK-1 or a PC-1 if I couldn't get a JEM, oh HELL YES
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:51 AM

I had been giving serious consideration to getting an SL-2 for a couple years, but never bought it because I didn't like the neck profile and didn't like the tone (don't know if it was the alder body or the pickups). All the ones I played were beautiful guitars with top-notch craftsmanship.

In the end, I'm glad I held out, because I got an RGT3120 neck-thru. I prefer it over the Jackson for several reasons:
1) less finish on the back of the neck
2) slightly thinner neck profile
3) mahogany body
4) direct-mounted pickups
5) more versatile switching

Of course, there are a couple pros to the Jackson:
1) ebony fretboard
2) wider variety of finishes

--B
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:43 AM
site founder 0% owner

Re: Jackson USA Custom - what do you know? What do you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
I know this may seem sacreligious, but I've broadened my search for a new guitar from a new JEM only to possibly a Jackson USA Custom (SL2-type). I'd like to hear from those knowledgable about Jackson guitars particularly the USA custom shop. Thanks in advance.
Like the others said, the USA Fender/Jacksons are fine guitars... but you are comparing apples to oranges in some ways... "signature model ibanez" to a "USA Jackson". A better comparison for price, etc. would be to the Prestige RGs (RGT/RG 3120). A friend locally has several USA Charvel/Jacksons, and while they're nice guitars, i could never see paying $1500+ for them... Good luck either way... glen
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 02:29 PM

USA Jacksons are sweet. I think they are worth the money as much as any other guitar is at 1300+. One thing they have over the jem is variety in choices. Yes there are some jems to choose from but not many with the alder body and ebony neck combo, which is my personal favorite!

either way, I don't think either guitar is better than the other, just personal choice.

as for their custom shop, you can get anything you want, but is it worth the price tag? I don't think so.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 6
haven't had a lot of experience with the usa series (all of mine are customs)...as far as comparing the two brands???? apples to oranges...your best bet would be to try them out and see which suits you best....quality on both is great...d.m.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:51 PM

I personally like Jackson a lot more than Ibanez, but I still love Ibanez. My main guitar is a Jackson. Funny thing is that it isn't even a USA Jackson, it's an import. Great guitar dudes. The construction of Jackson is supirior to Ibanez and many other companies in my opinion. You really get a lot of value for your dollar with Jackson.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:09 AM

As someone who owns several of both, though more Jacksons, I can tell you that you can have anything you want. I watched this post for a bit to see the answers, and I agree. Ibanez Jems are different from anything the Jackson Shop will make you. However, the Custom Shop is just that...a custom shop. They will do it however you want. Tim Wilson there at Ontario is a nice guy. And he will gladly list your options, if they aren't already on the form you fill out to order it. If you want an unfinished neck, they will do it. Even on neck-thrus, they will stop the body paint at whatever fret you desire, or wherever on the heel you like. The other thing is the choice of woods. You name it and they will get it (so long as it doesn't border on some whacko arborial tree frog that's one of 3 in the world).

I suppose it's ultimately up to you. But I have never been turned down on ideas for my Customs. Ibanez makes fine stuff, and you may wanna weigh the options first. Maybe there's a production Ibanez for less that has what you want...maybe a USA Jackson in production will. But the Custom Shop starts at 2 grand just to start the paperwork...lol

Lastly, with the Fender takeover on Jackson, I am kinda aprehensive now, and waiting to see if Fender screws it all up. The quality control on them has always sucked, no matter what model i picked up. Every Jackson I've had made has been perfect. That's just me, but I get uncomfortable when a good formula gets messed with...lol
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhnaten
Tim Wilson there at Ontario is a nice guy.
I appreciate all responses and yours, Ankhnaten. I was under the impression, however, that the custom shop was here in the USA?!

P.S. I never meant to suggest that I was "comparing" JEMS to Jackson Customs, or JEMS to anything for that matter. I was simply stating that those were THE two options I was choosing between for my new guitar. I didn't mean to sound dumb--even though I am good at it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 02:32 PM

Very, very, very nice guitars. Better than a Jem? Depends which one.
Anyway, a Jackson custom shop is ALWAYS a good buy.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

[quote="bpd111"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhnaten
Tim Wilson there at Ontario is a nice guy.
I appreciate all responses and yours, Ankhnaten. I was under the impression, however, that the custom shop was here in the USA?!

I'm not 100% sure but I beleive that they're made in Ontario California... The town just shares the name with it's more famous Canadian counterpart.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:37 AM

LOL...Sorry about that... I forgot there's the other Ontario up there too. Yes, they are in Ontario, California. And I understood you didn't mean so much to compare, but that's what is happening since those are the two choices. I simply wanted to let ya' know that Ibanez Jems will come as they are until you give 'em to someone with the talent to customize things like Eddie or LGM. The Jackson Custom will be built to your ideas. I've bought two of their King V Doublenecks now, and they were absolutley awesome to deal with. After the first one, I had a few changes to make, and they were all ears.

Both are fine guitars, and will serve you for a long time. I tend to rely on my Jacksons for live use, and only bring one Ibanez out for a 7-string. But at home, like most of us here, I kinda use what works. Be it an Ibanez Jem, a Jackson custom, or whatever...everything has its place, and you'll find what works for ya'...

Tags
alder body , beautiful guitar , custom shop , ebony board , ebony fretboard , ebony neck , floyd rose , ibanez jem , jackson custom shop , jackson guitars , jem neck , mahogany body , mounted pickups , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode