Jackson vs. RG 2550 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Jackson vs. RG 2550

Since there is a HUGE price difference I doubt I would even consider a Soloist BUT. Are the RG's as playable, and is there such a thing as to flat of a neck? What's your opinion, Jacksons vs. RG's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 11:22 PM

Too flat of a neck? Yeah, I would say so. I would say a Wizard neck is too flat, but that's me. I much like the JEM necks and the Wizard II.

The RG2550 has a Wizard, so I would try it out before buying if you think it's going to be too flat for you. If you're worried about warping and stuff, an Ibanez neck isn't likely to warp, otherwise we wouldn't continue buying them!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 AM

when i was buying my RG2550, i was torn between a jackson DXMG (yeah i know, not a US model), but the price puts it in somewhat same bracket over here in malaysia. DXMG RM3900 (USD$1026) vs the RG RM2900 (USD$763).

but in the end decided for the RG for the AANJ neck. i was playing a yamaha RGX420 prior to that which also have AANJ style neck joint, so that is a not brainer decision. then the hardware. the jackson's look as cheap as the RG3xx series' hardware! looks very fragile and clumsy. no comparison to the RG's at all.

but i admit the jackon have nicer colour (trans red /w flame maple top), neck binding, cool piranha tooth inlay, curved top, reversed headstock, EMG HZ p/ups /w afterburner. if only it features things that actually make it play better instead of just looking better.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Re: Jackson vs. RG 2550

I played a Jackson DXMG for awhile at a local store before and was quite impressed. Although it's not made in America I thought it was very well crafted and if you changed out the crappy stock pickups and installed an Original Floyd Rose it would really kick ass. The neck I remember played REALLY well. One thing that annoys me about Jackson is the huge price increase between the Japanese made models and the USA models. They should make a Japanese model with improved hardware and maple/ebony fretboards.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 10:24 PM

I believe FMIC(ie. Jackson) doesn't use better hardware on thier import models as they want to keep a margin of difference between thier USA and Japanese models. If you're looking for a well made Japanese Jackson, have a look at the "Jackson Stars" models in Japan. (not available outside of Japan unfortunately).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 11:22 PM

I was actually in Japan not too long ago and man, a lot of the Jackson Stars guitars I saw were very cheap for the feature. For under a thousand you could get a neck-thru guitar with bound ebony fretboard, seymour duncan pickups, and a schaller or original floyd rose.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash
Since there is a HUGE price difference I doubt I would even consider a Soloist BUT. Are the RG's as playable, and is there such a thing as to flat of a neck? What's your opinion, Jacksons vs. RG's?
I have both SL2H and a couple of RGs (RG620 and JC 8670). Both RGs have the super thin wizard neck (17mm at first fret). For me the RG neck feels much better than SL neck - my hand does not get tired plus it is a much "faster" neck.

Some people can't stand Wizard, though.

http://community.webshots.com/user/panther1977
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 12:18 PM

The rg will play as good or better, and the edge tremolo is by far way better than the original floyd especially after you do the stud mod
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:55 AM

Reviews: 34

If it was a choice between the two, without considering the finances, I would take SL1 everytime. If it were an SL1 against a Jem that would be different.

If you want a comparable guitar at similar price, try a Charvel 550xl. Jap made, rosewood fretboard, crap pickups, but apart from that the equal of an SL1 in terms of build and acoustic resonance. The feel really is the same, and they have a schaller floyd. In some ways I prefer the schaller as it is less chunky than the edge.

They would be comparable in price (second hand) to an rg, and there are some about on **** from time to time. I got one for 250 and it was definately worth every penny. The RG neck is flatter, the charvel chunkier (slightly bigger than an old Jem, but slimmer than a les paul. Some SL1s I have played have been really clsoe to les paul thickness). For ultimate speed the RG would probably be quicker, but the Charvel really feels good.

Last edited by nickcoumbe; 07-12-2005 at 07:08 AM. Reason: syntax
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The rg will play as good or better, and the edge tremolo is by far way better than the original floyd especially after you do the stud mod
You don't need the stud mod on the older Edge and Lo-Pro Edge trems though.

Needing it for the Edge Pro depends on how much whamking you do as well. I guess you will want it though, why not?

To stay on topic, I am feeling like a chunkier neck will suit me more. I feel that I'm playing my Les Paul copy than I am my RG Wizard...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibateur
You don't need the stud mod on the older Edge and Lo-Pro Edge trems though.

Needing it for the Edge Pro depends on how much whamking you do as well. I guess you will want it though, why not?

To stay on topic, I am feeling like a chunkier neck will suit me more. I feel that I'm playing my Les Paul copy than I am my RG Wizard...
Actually did have a period around 2000-2001 where the studs were the wrong shape effectively biting into the knife edges which were at the time very flat anyways making it even worse. These typically need changed. It doesnt necessarily matter how much you use the bar if the studs develop ovalling it can be attributed to basswood being very soft, as well as a few other things. It just helps so much if you use the locking studs and I really think no one can tell me they arent necessary. Tell that to old charvel users who dont even have brass inserts for their floyd studs. Those things SUCK
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 AM

So ALL edge pro trems have non-locking studs?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSoul
So ALL edge pro trems have non-locking studs?
Yes all of them, but that doesnt mean they wont stay in tune well out of the box, but it is definitely a bad thing in the long run.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:41 PM

Rg 2550
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Yes all of them, but that doesnt mean they wont stay in tune well out of the box, but it is definitely a bad thing in the long run.
Hmmm. I see. I take it if I get the locking stud kit from Rich most local stores can do it or this something I should take to a luthier. BTW, sniperfrommars1, how far are you from Paducah?

Tags
aanj neck , duncan pickups , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , edge trems , flame maple , floyd rose , ibanez neck , jem neck , les paul , locking stud , locking studs , neck binding , neck joint , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge trems , reversed headstock , rosewood fretboard , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , thin wizard neck , yamaha rgx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode