jacksons - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

jacksons

are the dkmg's mij?how would you folks rate it.specially versus an ibanez rg550.are the necks better for shredding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2004, 09:51 PM

Jackson DKMG's neck is thicker than rg but not much. still good to shred.
the sound is more treble than rg but it have better clarity and non-muddy sound than rg.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 01:14 PM

Jacksons are only a shadow of what they used to be. The import Jackson Pro series of the early '90s were dominators---they held up very well in A/B comparisons with almost any guitar, but the "Pros" now cost about 1/2 as much and feel/sound like it. I would A/B any newer Jackson with as many guitars as possible before buying. The JAckson USA series still rock of course, but for a price.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 01:23 PM

Yeah I agree, if you are really after a Jackson, it may be worth going for an earlier model. Possibly a late 80's or early 90's model secondhand.
I am not a huge Jackson fan TBH, and if I were you I would still go with the RG550. They cannot be beaten for their price:quality ratio. It has been said a million times.....put a new set of pickups in a RG550, and you will have a guitar that will beat any! And that is 100% true.

But hey, have a look around, read a few reviews on the net etc. If ya want a neck for shredding, again nothing really beats an RG550. Every one I have had, has had a super-thin neck. Its frightening really!! But thats what I love about them.....just that feel of that super-thin neck!

God I love those axes. I am a RG550 lover indeed!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 06:43 PM
dex

All DK's you can buy new today are Japanese - pre 1999 they had a few years when they made them in India.
Excellent value for money especialy here in the UK as they (DK2) cost just over 1/2 the price of RG15xx and are available in 40 different colours.

Jackson make excellent instruments but their styling hasn't moved for 20 years which is why they strugle to be popular.

ilia
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
But hey, have a look around, read a few reviews on the net etc. If ya want a neck for shredding, again nothing really beats an RG550. Every one I have had, has had a super-thin neck. Its frightening really!! But thats what I love about them.....just that feel of that super-thin neck!

God I love those axes. I am a RG550 lover indeed!
Gary - The.Godfather
Yup the RG550 is essentially a stripped down JEM and quite the hot rod. The late '80s/early '90s Jacksons really have an awesome feel/look/sound though, a bit more sophisticated than the RGs.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:32 PM

played a DKMG , never played an RG but i like the DKMG
weak points probably will be : tone/volume pot and maybe the EMG HZ's But that depends on taste
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
All DK's you can buy new today are Japanese
Apart fromthe USA made DK-1 which are available for not much money at all!!! Seriously work investing in a piggy pank for
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
Thats the only thing that I DON'T like about them, they kill my wrists after playing a while. Although I still consider them the best bang for buck, I have seen some go for less than 300 (s/h), new they cost about 600. With 300 spare you could get new pickups amog other things and still have a kick ass guitar!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:11 PM

Guys, sorry to kinda derail the thread... but where can one find information on older jacksons? their website sucks (i dont know if its always been like that, or only since Fender got their greedy hands on them)

i mean, older catalogs, specs, stuff like that...

thanx...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Guys, sorry to kinda derail the thread... but where can one find information on older jacksons? their website sucks (i dont know if its always been like that, or only since Fender got their greedy hands on them)

i mean, older catalogs, specs, stuff like that...

thanx...
The Jackson/Charvel forum should have all that info:
http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 PM

yeah you should find links on jcf to pages with catalogs, private collections etc ...

Tags
jackson pro series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

who makes japanese jacksons
how much do custom jacksons cost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode