Jap S Series. Did I pay too much? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Question Jap S Series. Did I pay too much?

Hi Folks.

I have posted about this guitar before, but I apologize as I can't remember where I posted about the same.

Anyway, I found an S series made in Japan guitar at the local pawn shop. It's all black, has a F ? and S and F set of pickups. HSH config. It has an Edge trem. All black in color and has a chip at the lower horn. That's the only place besides one dent in the finger board at about the G position on the Big E string. But, I coudln't find anything else wrong with the guitar. It has a little buckle rash, but I'm not a collector and don't care much about looks. Everything was set up fine. The frets are jumbo's and it's a 22 fret neck with rosewood board. Just dots of some type for inlays. Nothing fancy. It has a serial number on the back with a sticker that says "Made in Japan".

I paid 198 bucks. Is that too much? I mean I needed a trem guitar and it has killer pickups that seemed medium output to me, but had good harmonics. Besides, I have a Duncan Disotortion laying around that I can stick in the brdge, and I have a Dimarzio PAF pro for the neck. I will then buy some type of Dimarzio or something for the S in the mid and I'll be set really..

What ya think? Good guitar? Please tell me I paid about the right amount!!!!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 9
Re: Jap S Series. Did I pay too much?

Excellent deal! The F series pickup are like a tone zone and paf pro (?) i believe. The F2 with a mag swap to an A5 is excellent.

Congrats.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Nothing wrong with that deal.
Sounds good to me!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I appreciate it.. Can't wait to get it out pay day. Put it in layaway so no one else would buy it. This kid about 12 was looking at it, and I was afraid he'd not appreciate it.. He finally went for a LTD something that was awful looking. Looked like a Karate weapon.. LOL.. I'm glad I got it..
Do you think the Duncan Distortion would be ok in the bridge with the rest of the stock pups on the guitar? I mean will it split well and not over power in volume the other pups?
Tim
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm planning to buy an S too but later this year, I have p-rail's in mind.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:32 PM

Don't think the SD will overpower the stock pups.
If so you can alway balance them out by adjusting the pickup height and/or pole pieces.
First check if you like the stock F pickups,you might be suprised.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM

Reviews: 9

Yep, don't count out the F2, it is a great pickup. It is really just going to depend on the sound you are looking for, it has plenty of output and is a real USA made Dimarzio. Swap an A5 mag and you will get very close (closer than the Tone Zone for sure) to the EVH tone, and A2 might even nail it (I need to try that). Mag swaps are very easy and mags are only about $5.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

I actually liked the sound of the pups. I just thought that I'd like the SD better as I've always loved the treble and output, etc, of that pup. That said, I also loved the sound of the Tone Zone and several Dimarzio's too!
Thanks man..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
Don't think the SD will overpower the stock pups.
If so you can alway balance them out by adjusting the pickup height and/or pole pieces.
First check if you like the stock F pickups,you might be suprised.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man. I appreciate it..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_with_v View Post
Yep, don't count out the F2, it is a great pickup. It is really just going to depend on the sound you are looking for, it has plenty of output and is a real USA made Dimarzio. Swap an A5 mag and you will get very close (closer than the Tone Zone for sure) to the EVH tone, and A2 might even nail it (I need to try that). Mag swaps are very easy and mags are only about $5.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

What single coil is a good one to use? What is the single coil that is in it? I mean, if they're dimarzio's what is the single coil closest to in terms of a dimarzio single? I'm wondering.
Thanks
Tim
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I just looked it up. They're V series pickups. I said F I think originally, but I found it on the Ibanez Rules site on the resource link. The thing is, it looks exactly like the 93 S470bk but it has the F pickukps that say Ibanez / Dimarzio on the pups.. Can anyone tell me what the deal is? Maybe someone changed them out? Because I can tell you that it's exactly like the pic for the year 93 USA catalog. Same black color, same dots on the neck, everything, same low pro edge now that I look at it., etc,. But, the pups are dimarzio's? Someone tell me what I'm not seeing? Thanks
Tim
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Your shure its the 470? not the 540?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Regardless of the pickup combo, sounds like a great find. Looking forward to the photos...
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Thanks guys I appreciate it.. Can't wait to get it out pay day. Put it in layaway so no one else would buy it. This kid about 12 was looking at it, and I was afraid he'd not appreciate it.. He finally went for a LTD something that was awful looking. Looked like a Karate weapon.. LOL.. I'm glad I got it..
Do you think the Duncan Distortion would be ok in the bridge with the rest of the stock pups on the guitar? I mean will it split well and not over power in volume the other pups?
Tim
lol.. Karate Weapon! made my day. it's true...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Mr Scary. LOL. The guitar the kid was looking at and I think he bought looked like some sort of Viking assult weapon.. LOL.. I thought I liked weird shaped guitars back in the day, but this thing looked evil man.. LOL..

Tim

Tags
hsh , s series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode