Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jap Wizard neck on a Korean RG??

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LonePhantom 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, you've probably noticed my post with my new custom that I built with my Dad. I've discovered something interesting through this process.

My black RG470 was at the end of my photo posts. It's a '95 RG470, so it's Korean, and you would expect it to have a Korean Wizard II neck, slightly thicker and different shape to the Japanese Wizard. The neck on my custom is a '94 RG470, also Korean guitar, should be the Wizard II neck.

When I first played the custom I noticed that the neck was a little thicker and slightly rounder and it lead me to think about my other guitar.

I snapped the neck on the 470 earlier this year and while it was off I noticed that by the 4 mounting holes there were 4 ones dowled up. This made me think that perhaps that the neck was actually of Japanese origin.

Now I've played both back to back and my 470's neck is definitely thinner. I'm pretty sure that it's a Japanese Wizard. Has anyone else come across Korean axes with Japanese necks? Or is it just that I've played the hell out of the RG470 for the past 10 years and it's worn down!

#5 ·
nightfiend14 said:
Ibanez loves to change/mess up things like that every once in a while.
I second that. As proof, the neck on my 2005 RG321 is DEFINITELY different than the neck on my 2005 RG370DX even though they should be virtually identical. The neck on my new 321 is just weird. I've never owned or played an Ibanez guitar that had a neck quite like it and I have played a LOT of Ibanez guitars. I think that whoever made the guitar just messed up on the neck and made it different but it still plays extremely well.

#6 ·
Yeah it's just frustrating now. I thought I was already playing a Wizard II neck and thought "Gee how thin are the Japanese Wizards, there must be next to no timber on them!" Then I get the neck for my custom which I thought was identical but it's not. I now have to get used to a thicker, rounder neck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.