Japanese model RG with Lo TRS? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Question Japanese model RG with Lo TRS?

I spied a RG style guitar (HSH) at a local store. On the back of headstock it said Made in Japan or something to that effect. That label was under the gloss coat. I assume the model number was once upon a time stuck near that label but someone peeled it off.

This model had a Lo TRS trem and Bill Lawerence pickups (obviously changed) and a S1 (the one that comes in V7 V8 equipped guitars) in the middle.

The color was sort of bronze, but more fruity like a late 90s color.. metallic looking orange, but more copper looking.

The asking price was $250.00. It was dirty and beat up a bit. The tag said it was an SA or something, but The store knows little about Ibanez even though they are a dealer. I think the tag is wrong.

Did Ibanez make an RG in Japan with the LoTRS? I would have hopped on it, but I am leery of the Lo TRS because of comments posted in this forum.

I was actually looking at the RG1570 they had in stock, but that of course is quite a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Japanese model RG with Lo TRS?

It will most probably be a RG470. They came with the LO-TRS which is a hell of a lot better than the LO-TRS II so it's a reasonable trem. If it plays well and the neck and everything feels good to you that sounds like a decent price.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:33 AM

around 2002, before they got rid of the TRS family trems, some weird RGs came out. they were Japan-made but with the TRS trems. i think they were called RG250B or RG220B or so... they probably didn't want to throw tons of TRSs away, then they decided to put them in a new low-priced Japan RGs? who knows...
anyway, here's a an RG250 belonging to a friend of mine. it's Japan-made and i couldn't believe it had a TRS. and i'm sure the trem's not been replaced, they came out factory like that. pics HERE.

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:39 AM

yeah some 470s were MIJ, they have RG550/570 stamped necks on them. i have one
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 07:55 AM

1998 to 2002 the RG470 was made in Japan with the TRS, V-series pickups, and Wizard II neck.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 AM

I stnad by the RG470 too, I'm guessing it's the one in the lower right hand corner of this picture.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/us/2000/00009.jpg
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
yeah some 470s were MIJ, they have RG550/570 stamped necks on them. i have one
I recently bought a black RG470 with "Infinity" series HSH pickups, Lo-TRS trem and a Japanese neck. The body feels and looks Korean - the larger-than-normal recessed spring cover is a giveaway for starters. The neck has a F99... serial number and the heel stamp says "RG550-R #2" whatever that means.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I think Lonephantom exactly nailed it. I am going back to the store today to look at it again. Do you all think I'd be better off with the RG1570? I am going to have to sell a guitar or 2 to get an Ibanez.

Either way the RG1570 will stay stock. If I buy the RG470 I will probably do a OFR later (doubtful), but definatley trade the Bill lawrence (I think they are the 500XL) out for a V7 and V8.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Dee

You'll be lots better off with the 1570. I'd also keep the BL pickup. The 500XL is way better than a V series pickup.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
around 2002, before they got rid of the TRS family trems, some weird RGs came out. they were Japan-made but with the TRS trems. i think they were called RG250B or RG220B or so... they probably didn't want to throw tons of TRSs away, then they decided to put them in a new low-priced Japan RGs? who knows...
anyway, here's a an RG250 belonging to a friend of mine. it's Japan-made and i couldn't believe it had a TRS. and i'm sure the trem's not been replaced, they came out factory like that. pics HERE.

unique look! Is it just me or does that trs look different than the common version? perhaps that trs was made in japan as well? Who will ever know to be honest. I like the color scheme of that one. If only it had an edge tremolo .
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarrero View Post
I recently bought a black RG470 with "Infinity" series HSH pickups, Lo-TRS trem and a Japanese neck. The body feels and looks Korean - the larger-than-normal recessed spring cover is a giveaway for starters. The neck has a F99... serial number and the heel stamp says "RG550-R #2" whatever that means.
i have wondered before if they simply had a few shipments of MIJ necks to the korean factory which they put on the 470s, so only the necks would be MIJ..
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM

Well their were also japanese made 470's with edge tremolos on them
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki swordsman View Post
i have wondered before if they simply had a few shipments of MIJ necks to the korean factory which they put on the 470s, so only the necks would be MIJ..
Yeah my 1995 RG470 came with an Original Wizard spec-ed neck on it, and a "C" serial number! Infinity pickups, and LO-TRS II trem. It's now rocking an Original Edge and EMGs.

It's an awesome guitar, even if the neck has a repaired crack in it ( which I think is cracking more now ). The frets are so worn now but I love playing it. I'm reluctant to do anything with it, if I get it re-fretted the neck might not hold up to the work, and getting a replacement neck will lose all the feeling I have with the guitar. It's supposed to be semi-retired right now as I'm getting my RG550 re-issue soon, but I still play it so much.

The reason why I've done so much work to the guitar is because it was the first guitar I ever bought myself at the age of 15 (second electric guitar ever) and it was my only electric for so many years. I'll always keep it even if I can't play it.

Sorry for going off topic there.

Make sure you check out this guitar first, have a good play of it, come back again and play it again, and if it feels natural in your hands buy it. Try the 1570 too, make an informed decision. You may like the feel of the 470 more, and you'll save some cash as well if you do.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Yeah my 1995 RG470 came with an Original Wizard spec-ed neck on it, and a "C" serial number! Infinity pickups, and LO-TRS II trem. It's now rocking an Original Edge and EMGs.
i think that's still a korean neck though, all the 470s with MIJ necks i've heard about have always had Fujigen serials..
sounds like you've got a great guitar though
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Well. I bought it. I LOVE the 1570, but ... $$$.

I got it for $225.00 with no case and a set of Schaller strap locks. If I hate it I can part it out on **** and re-coup. No biggie. The wiring is wrong and it hums in the neck only position and 1 or 2 other places. I like the Bill Lawrence pickups. I think I'll fix the wiring before I decide on what to do with them.

The Lo TRS works just fine. I was concerned. I might replace the posts, but the rest of it looks good. It has some "famous" European shredder dude's signature on it and a sticker from his band. The store dude said that made it valuable and that I should Bay it. I laughed, but he was serious.

So far so good. I still plan to sell at least one of my guitars. Th eRG7321 is next to go and my Schecter Blackjack PT is after that. If I decide that this RG470 sucks, I'll sell it and my remaining strat to get the RG1570, but I think this will do.

The 1570 has a way nice neck. So does the 470. They are just slightly different from each other. This decision to buy was based wholly on $$ concern. If it were no object I probably would have gone 1570 or even used 1570.

I am happy though. Pictures later...

Tags
alexi laiho , edge trem , electric guitar , equipped guitar , floyd rose , ibanez neck , jimi hendrix , locking stud , locking studs , mij guitars , neck pup , schaller strap locks , standard jem , strap lock , strap locks , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode