Japanese S470 Dilemma - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Japanese S470 Dilemma

So I just got an almost mint 1993 Japanese made S470, Lo-Pro Edge and original Wizard neck etc. It even had 2 Seymour Duncan Invaders in it, even though not my cup of tea, they hold their value and could be traded out.

My dilemma is that I don't like the Wizard neck profile. I prefer more of a Strat feel to a neck. I remember why I traded my old RG550 now, because of the thin neck.

I looked through Ibanezrules.com and tried to find out if any S series had a thicker neck and looks like they all had the same Wizard type.

Anyone have any suggestions of another S series with a thicker neck?

Do you think it would be a bad idea to sell the Wizard neck and replace it with a neck more my style? Kinda sacrilegious to separate a Japanese made guitar like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Re: Japanese S470 Dilemma

Well if you're gonna put a Korean neck on a Japanese body, I'd say just sell the Japanese S and buy a Korean one. I mean there shouldn't be too much of a difference in the body, unless yours has a nice wood-stained top or binding. But the Korean S's aren't even that much thicker than the Japanese ones IMO. Still not as thick as a strat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking more of a Warmoth neck or something.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 1

I, personally would not sell the Wizard neck. Even if money is tight, you will regret it when you try to sell the S without the imfamous Wizard neck on there. So, if you keep it, put what ever neck you'd like on there, barring modiification to the body; and then if you decide to sell it later on, you may be able to get more for it since you have two neck options, instead of taking less for it because of the ball bat only option. Just my opinion, either way good luck, i hope you can come up with a solution that works for you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairic View Post
I, personally would not sell the Wizard neck. Even if money is tight, you will regret it when you try to sell the S without the imfamous Wizard neck on there. So, if you keep it, put what ever neck you'd like on there, barring modiification to the body; and then if you decide to sell it later on, you may be able to get more for it since you have two neck options, instead of taking less for it because of the ball bat only option. Just my opinion, either way good luck, i hope you can come up with a solution that works for you.
That's exactly what I thought. I do like the S body, but not enough to risk devaluing the guitar.

You'll likely see this up in the Classifieds very soon...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 PM

If you want an S with a strat-style neck, your best options are the ones that came with Viper necks: SV470 (made in Japan) and the SV420 (made in Korea). The Vipers are very strat like (soft-C shape), with a nice amber finish and good fretwork. Both of those guitars had more traditional, two-post, non-locking trems. The main difference between them is that the 470 was HSH and the 420 was HH.

Bert

Tags
duncan invader , locking trems , pro edge , seymour duncan , viper neck , warmoth neck , wizard neck profile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode